What's new

What's the deal with brakes on fixed gear bikes?

I lust after those --- and the ee brake!

Nice aren't they - looked at the 'ee';s for the TT bike Im thinking of building up.

TRP makes one of the nicest aero-brake sets. I'm getting some now to try on our TT 'behind the blades' fork. You lose some braking performance, but on TT bike it's not generally that critical. I remember OVAL had some nice (and cheap) aero brakes, too - but seems they don't offer them anymore. TEKTRO had some too - but can't find easy supply for those either.

Since our Aero TT Frame uses the same 'AXE OF THOR' fork we made earlier - except for the upper end redesign to suit the integrated brakes, it should work quite nicely on many fixed gear bikes. It is std 1 1/8" with conservative 40mm rake. I have plenty of material in the drops to shorten this to 30mm rake if required. I might even make an adjustable rake dropout so we can play around with this. It's nice if you can get the front wheel really tucked in and optimize the handling at the same time.

Anyway - digression --- but swapping fork is another option for fixedgear riders who want to fit brakes on their otherwise , undrilled, forks. The clamp plates for the front totally suck. Rear is fine. But front - no way!

Nice aren't they - looked at the 'ee';s for the TT bike Im thinking of building up.

Back
Top Bottom