What's new

What's a good website to buy bike supplies at a discount

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
I guess this is how it works at the bike shop here in town. Owner gives you price off the tax and gives another 2% discount. Is this typical in most bike shops you deal with?
Anyway, I'm looking for a website to really see what is available out there for us bikers (or do I say, cyclists).
Any suggestions much appreciated.

You are buying a service with the bike shop, advice, adjustments and maintanance. On the nternet you are on your own. Looking at the amount of questions you have as a new cyclist I'd suggest you use a bike shop for your first go around. You also get a year of free service and checks which you won't get online. Save yourself and your family (wife) some stress and stop looking at nickles and dimes and instead build up a good working relationship with your LBS. You'll get better discounts the longer you have that relationship. Good luck.

You are buying a service with the bike shop, advice, adjustments and maintanance. On the nternet you are on your own. Looking at the amount of questions you have as a new cyclist I'd suggest you use a bike shop for your first go around. You also get a year of free service and checks which you won't get online. Save yourself and your family (wife) some stress and stop looking at nickles and dimes and instead build up a good working relationship with your LBS. You'll get better discounts the longer you have that relationship. Good luck.

OK, thanks.
I a way I like to learn what you bikers use on your outings. Oh, is there something like an odometer for bikes?

Glad I'm asking these questions.
Thanks.

If you have a smartphone, you can buy a phone mount. Then adding free apps like Strava or Ridewithgps or Wahoo, can provide significantly more information to your "computer", which is the phone app, including not only distance, but time, map data, cadence (rpm) from a sensor you can buy and put on the inside of one of the crank arms, heart rate (from one of those sensors).

If you have a smartphone, you can buy a phone mount. Then adding free apps like Strava or Ridewithgps or Wahoo, can provide significantly more information to your "computer", which is the phone app, including not only distance, but time, map data, cadence (rpm) from a sensor you can buy and put on the inside of one of the crank arms, heart rate (from one of those sensors).

And that is all free?
So in a way, one may not need a Touring Mapple map?

And that is all free?
So in a way, one may not need a Touring Mapple map?

Your costs will be:

1. Phone (Assume you already have it from the thread on lights?)
2. Apps (These are all free unless you want to use premium features, I do not)
3. Mount for Phone (Can get for about 2000 yen)
4. Sensors for RPM, Heartrate (I use Wahoo cadence sensor, believe it was about 5,000 yen)

When I need to do navigation I use this phone holder and Google Maps. If you turn off the screen and just have audio notifications (turn left, turn right, etc) it doesn't use much power. I also heard Maps.Me is good as all the maps are offline but I haven't tried that yet.

I'm guessing navigation is one of your concerns at the moment. Do have an itinerary for your trip or are you going to play it by ear? I'll be honest, I'm not much of a route planner but getting stuck on roads with heavy traffic is the worst, so I do try to avoid those situations now if I can help it.

Back
Top Bottom