What's new

What type of clip based shoes should I purchase?

I have seen this happen. A friend lost one of the two bolts attaching the SPD cleat to his shoe. The result was a dramatic failure to unclip when he next stopped. TimbERRRR.

Thanks for the reminder. I hadnt checked mine since I put them on two months ago & one was far too loose.

It really does depend on the type of riding you intend to do. If you are looking to do some serious miles and ride hard then I would suggest specific SPD LS road shoes and pedals.

If you are looking to do coffee runs, tour riding and general out and about riding then go for SPD pedal and shoe system.

For those losing bolts, Loctite and 3 - 4Nm on each bolt. Any tighter and you will deform the base of the shoe and potentially damage the shoe plate causing the exact thing you are worried about.

Shimano ones are the safest bet in terms of parts and ubiquity, especially in Japan.

Double sided MTB ones, or single sided hyper racing ones. Get the best ones you can afford.

Both SPD and SPD SL are priced pretty much level for each upgrade.

I ended going with some:
Shimano MT43 SPD Touring/Leisure Cycling Shoes
Shimano R540 SPD-SL Road Clipless Pedals

Just waiting on the bike now;
Departed Facility in LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 06:10
seems to be taking a scenic route

Both SPD and SPD SL are priced pretty much level for each upgrade.

Re-phrasing then, to clarify; "Whichever Shimano pedals you go for, be that the double sided MTB type, or the road racing type; SPD and SPD SL respectively, get the best ones you can afford"

HTH.

Don't worry I'm sure Tim, Joe or Stu will be able to cobble something together for you to make them compatible.

Don't worry I'm sure Tim, Joe or Stu will be able to cobble something together for you to make them compatible.

GafferTape05A.jpg

Back
Top Bottom