What's new

Help What to do with old wheels?

Sheep

Maximum Pace
Jul 27, 2009
So, the hub went on one of the wheels that came with my old Giant. After buying some new ones I'm left with at least one unusable wheel. Is there some recommended way to dispose of it? What kind of gomi is a bicycle wheel?

Pliers: snip all the spokes (or undo them with spoke key)
Hacksaw: cut the rim into 6 or 8 sections (or just stand on it and bend it till it breaks)
Then it's unburnable.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say moenai gomi. Assuming you can fit it into a bag (should be able to in a 70L or 90L)
I think 40L is the largest we have in our area. I guess I could remove all the spokes, but that would still leave some bloody big rims...

I think 40L is the largest we have in our area. I guess I could remove all the spokes, but that would still leave some bloody big rims...

Where do you live? I've seen the 23-ku 'official' mark on 90L ones. I have a few for similar occassions. (I'm in 23-ku). 40L is kind of silly (as in small).

Unfortunately, 粗大ごみ usually 300yen a wheel. Advanced reservation system different according to where you live, but necessary. You make a reservation and buy the equivalent of stickers at a konbini and put the wheels outside early morning on the day at the spot designated for your building.

Sorry, didn't see the earlier posts. Hacksaw to alloy rim is a real hassle, it's possible, but not fun

Unfortunately, 粗大ごみ usually 300yen a wheel. Advanced reservation system different according to where you live, but necessary. You make a reservation and buy the equivalent of stickers at a konbini and put the wheels outside early morning on the day at the spot designated for your building.
Damn, that's what I was thinking. I'm in Musashino. Snipping the spokes etc. as above would solve that problem I guess. 粗大ゴミ is a pain in the ass.

Sorry, didn't see the earlier posts. Hacksaw to alloy rim is a real hassle, it's possible, but not fun
Well, I do have some other 粗大ゴミ to sort out, so I guess I could put it with that. 300yen is steep!

I periodically dump my stuff in the car park of a "large US wholesaler" that requires a yearly membership but whose prices are often more expensive than my local supermarket.
If they just stopped selling those muffins, I wouldn't have to go ever again!

Sawsall solves most problems!

Not my video

I think around here (Setagaya-ku) there's supposed to be a 30 cm size limit on moenai gomi (things like old irons, small electrical appliances, etc), but a hacksaw would solve that. They may not always enforce the size limit.

Go to the top of a big hill and ....

I use to live next door to a campus of TIT (not as sexy as it sounds), and they had a long history of dumping nuclear waste in the alleys behind buildings. My own nocturnal forays with oversize unburnable gomi seemed relatively harmless, considering what I was dumping my retired hi-fi on top of ..

Please post a report, of the time, effort and material required to put a wheel out as sodaigomi after the act. Not saying it can't be done, but without access to Stu's toolshed, this seems to be quite hard.

Not hard at all, cut spokes at hub, put half the rim on the footpath and half over the kurb, apply body weight. Fold in half, if you fold it back on itself it'll often snap. Repeat to fold in quarter. Flatten it with a car tyre rolling over it and perfect for moenai gomi. Never had a problem up here.

Go to the top of a big hill and ....

I use to live next door to a campus of TIT (not as sexy as it sounds), and they had a long history of dumping nuclear waste in the alleys behind buildings. My own nocturnal forays with oversize unburnable gomi seemed relatively harmless, considering what I was dumping my retired hi-fi on top of ..
I should dump them with that waste and maybe it'd melt them!

Please post a report, of the time, effort and material required to put a wheel out as sodaigomi after the act. Not saying it can't be done, but without access to Stu's toolshed, this seems to be quite hard.
Can't believe it can be this difficult. What do bike shops do?!

Not hard at all, cut spokes at hub, put half the rim on the footpath and half over the kurb, apply body weight. Fold in half, if you fold it back on itself it'll often snap. Repeat to fold in quarter. Flatten it with a car tyre rolling over it and perfect for moenai gomi. Never had a problem up here.
I don't have a car, do I need one to do this? :)

Back
Top Bottom