What's new

what should I do

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
I didn't make to Hokkaido in my 3 attempts in April.
This month soon I will cycle Japan again.
I know I can go to Hokkaido. ( well, maybe I think I can )
But I want to go to Ishigaki Island off of Okinawa .

What should I do .

But I want to go to Ishigaki Island off of Okinawa .
I wouldn't do Okinawa now, I'd wait until fall. I have never been to Okinawa, but I have lived in Fukuoka and it is not a good idea to go south and ride there in the summer. 30 June was the hottest day in June in Tokyo on record, 1 July was the hottest day in July in Tokyo on record.

I'd go north if I were you.

Last edited:
English-language Wikipedia doesn't show weather records for Ishigaki, but it does show them for Iriomote, which is close by. Iriomote's average high for July is 31.5, and its record high is 35.7. That this is fairly temperate is hardly surprising, as after all it's surrounded by the sea.

I wouldn't do Okinawa now, I'd wait until fall. I have never been to Okinawa, but I have lived in Fukuoka

I'd go north if I were you.
unless you are going to fly or take a long distance train riding to Hokkaido from Yamaguchi will have you arriving when it is freezing. OP does not do cold so well.
Drinking beer on a tropical beach is perfect way to spend a humid summer. And it's humid and hot everywhere.

Drinking beer on a tropical beach is perfect way to spend a humid summer. And it's humid and hot everywhere.
It is much more bearable here in Tohoku than on Kyushu. No way my wife and I would visit my in-laws in the summer (my wife is originally from Nagasaki). I don't think I'd want to be outdoors during the day in Okinawa right now, I'd just get a quick sun burn and wouldn't feel like doing anything.

Why not go in early spring or fall when temperatures are much more temperate?
unless you are going to fly or take a long distance train riding to Hokkaido from Yamaguchi will have you arriving when it is freezing. OP does not do cold so well.
Not sure about the prices now, but a few months ago, you could get a one-way ticket from Sendai to Sapporo for ¥3,000. You'd have to add one piece of checked in luggage, but I think that can be done on a budget. Plus, if I wanted to plan a bike trip from Yamaguchi to Hokkaido (all on the bike), I'd plan that in advance and start so that I'd be in a climate zone that is bearable.

Hey guys. I got 2 weeks to camp and cycle and use the train. I m going back to Shimane and Tottori. That is my current plan. Beaches are nearby, but l know it is real hot durning the day. I m waiting for the new health card which we get on July 15. It is true l would like to get to Ishigaki, but its going to have to wait. I was in Okinawa last August and it was too hot to camp and cycling after 11 am, forget it. Did stay at a hotel.

Back
Top Bottom