What's new

What New Bike....?

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
What New Bike....? Charge Mixer is the Answer!

OK, I might be buying a new bike, or better yet, my Monster-In-Law might be buying a new bike for me to do the liquor shop deliveries with.

Some criteria;

Disk Brakes
Steel Frame
Ability to have fenders
Rear rack for Panniers

My trusty old Cannondale is getting the crap used out of it, I'm afraid that it will be destroyed by hauling the trailer full of beer around. We just took on some new customers, one will be a six day a week customer, and at least one 20 liter keg of beer a day plus other stuff. To get to this customer I have to go down a fairly steep hill, I fear that my old cantilever brakes on the Cannondale will not last or do a good enough job of slowing me down with a heavy load. At least the return trip will be with the empties UP the longish hill.

I'm about six foot or 180cm tall.

Any suggestions? the bike does not have to be lightweight, it has to be strong and durable

I'm thinking some kind of MTB might be good, something with a beefy steel frame...?

Cheers!

Surly Big Dummy

Surly makes a cargo bike that seems to meet your requirements to a T. It is steel, has disc brakes and can carry up to 200 lbs of cargo in addition to the rider. It has an extended rear for cargo and I have seen people put trailers on the too.

Link: www.surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy_complete/

Xtracycle

I know two people who have converted mountain bikes with xtracycle's cargo extension. They have been very happy with them. I see that they now sell a few complete bike including the Big Dummy by Surly. I would be a little concerned if you are moving a lot of weight to make sure the bike you are converting to a cargo bike can handle the increased stress of a lot of weight.

www.xtracycle.com

Personally I'd do a 1x1 with Alfine 8 speed and geared down (40x24) primary to make this the ultimate hauler. Laced up to 36h Velocity Chukker's and you could take this bad boy anywhere. And here's how it would look:

http://bikeloop.com/blog/diary/1878.html

I want to haul a trailer, I do not want to load the beer etc on the bike, it is TOO heavy and TOO tippy/unstable, the trailer is a drag;) but is super stable.

That Surly 1x1 looks interesting, it is not a single speed, right? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm still using thumb shifters here :eek:

So to refine the search, NOT a cargo bike, I want to haul a trailer.

Thanks for all the replies!

1x1 is normally a single speed - but using the internal gear hub Alfine gives you a roughly 300% gear spread (8 speed). They also have a 11 speed version - but honestly - I think for anything around Tokyo 8 speed and lower primary gearing would be great. Plus, no external gears = no hassles. I'm building something similar to this, BTW , in Titanium (naturally) , with a slightly sleeker geometry and using the Gates CarbonDrive system - so - no chains either. About as troublefree as possible. Beltdrive + Discbrake + internal gear.

To give you an idea of the weight I carry all the time, a 20L keg of beer is 26Kg, a case of the big bottles is 27Kg and maybe 6 bottles of sake (each is about 2.7Kg) that is 69.2Kg or very near 70Kg. My trailer is 23Kg. Grand total I'm going to be towing six days a week is 93Kg or just over 200lbs. I weigh 250 lbs :D Gee, I think I need more than circa 1988 cantilever brakes slowing me down :rolleyes:

Maybe a decent non suspended MTB would fit the bill?

One thing I want to do is make the mounting point for the hitch the top of the seat stays, not the seat post, I think this would be a much stronger point to tow from. With disk brakes I can do this, but with the cantilever brakes, there is too much stuff in the way. :(

Cheers!

Another cool Surly is the 1x1 -- http://page22.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l72355029
Also - the Pugsley! Personally I saw a guy ride one at the Mt. Fuji Hillclimb - awesome! Nothing but respect for the guys at Surly! And they are one of the few bike companies that 'Walk the Walk' (Or Ride the Ride, if you will)

http://www.roadfixie.com/archives/406

Wow that is quite the bike, I see one at Y's Shinjuku, but I thought it was just a bike for sand or snow, I honestly did not know what it was...?

How much do you think that bike should sell for used on Yahoo?

24hrs left and it is at 36,000 but 23 people have already bid:eek:

Workman Bicycles

You could go with this option to keep the beer cold while in transit!

Worksman Ice Cream Tricycle V-ICT
$2,149.00
V-ICT
We started manufacturing the classic Worksman Front Load Ice Cream Tricycles more than 75 years ago when the Good Humor Company was first established and looking for methods to get their products out to the neighborhoods they wanted to serve. Since then, these classic vehicles have become a part of American culture. Remember the jing-a-ling of the ice cream bells as the local "ice cream man' rode through your neighborhood?
Well chances are, he was riding a made in New York City Worksman Tricycle. These cycles are super durable and naturally require no fuel, emit no fumes and are fun to ride. The front cabinet on the model V-ICT is an insulated stainless steel box measuring 36x23x28" on the outside, thickly insulated with a snap shut air-tight 10x10" door. A dry ice shelf is located inside the cabinet for convenient loading of dry ice. A handy exterior compartment is standard for storing napkins or other items. Using dry ice, these vehicles are ideal for vending pre-packaged novelty ice cream. All Dry Ice models come with a drain for easy interior cleaning. Today, Worksman Ice Cream Tricycles are in use in the USA, Canada, Australia, Europe, Asia and Africa. Whether you are seeking a single ice cream trike to start a small business or require a fleet to expand your business, call us at 800-BUY-CART (outside the USA Call 866 655 4244) so we can assist you in planning your purchase. Freight is additional. Note- The V-ICT shown is equipped with optional welded mag wheels.

You could go with this option to keep the beer cold while in transit!

Worksman Ice Cream Tricycle V-ICT
$2,149.00
V-ICT
We started manufacturing the classic Worksman Front Load Ice Cream Tricycles more than 75 years ago when the Good Humor Company was first established and looking for methods to get their products out to the neighborhoods they wanted to serve. Since then, these classic vehicles have become a part of American culture. Remember the jing-a-ling of the ice cream bells as the local "ice cream man' rode through your neighborhood?
Well chances are, he was riding a made in New York City Worksman Tricycle. These cycles are super durable and naturally require no fuel, emit no fumes and are fun to ride. The front cabinet on the model V-ICT is an insulated stainless steel box measuring 36x23x28" on the outside, thickly insulated with a snap shut air-tight 10x10" door. A dry ice shelf is located inside the cabinet for convenient loading of dry ice. A handy exterior compartment is standard for storing napkins or other items. Using dry ice, these vehicles are ideal for vending pre-packaged novelty ice cream. All Dry Ice models come with a drain for easy interior cleaning. Today, Worksman Ice Cream Tricycles are in use in the USA, Canada, Australia, Europe, Asia and Africa. Whether you are seeking a single ice cream trike to start a small business or require a fleet to expand your business, call us at 800-BUY-CART (outside the USA Call 866 655 4244) so we can assist you in planning your purchase. Freight is additional. Note- The V-ICT shown is equipped with optional welded mag wheels.

I swear that thing would not fit down some of the streets around here :D

Maybe I'll just get one of these.....

WTC4x4.jpg

..... with an electric motor and a roof to keep me dry if it rains ;)

Wiggle has a Charge Mixer

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-mixer-8-2011

Frame: Tange, Prestige tube, heat treatment,rack mounts
Colour: Black/ Galvanised
Fork: Tange Mixer Cromoly
Brakes: Shimano BRM486 hydraulic disc, 160mm rotor
Levers: Shimano Hydraulic
Headset: FSA TH 857, 1-1/8" forged alloy caged bearing
Stem: Alloy 3D forged, with laser Charge logo
Handle bar: Alloy flat bar, 580mm width, with Charge logo
Grips: Plunger MTB
Shift Levers: Alfine Rapidfire SLS500
Chain Wheel: KMC X.9
Crankset: Alfine Hollow Tech II 2 pc 39t
Cassette: Alfine 18t cog
Pedal: Wellgo
BB: Alloy 6061 eccentric
Rims: Alex DP17 700c
Tyres: Continental Sport Contact 700c x 32c
Front Hub: Shimano
Rear Hub: Shimano Alfine internal 8 speed
Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: Lee-Chi SP222
Seat Clamp: Kalloy Single bolt
Near legendary simple, maintenance free design. Nothing to rattle, nothing to knock and will keep pushing on everyday.
Alfine 8 hub gear, full mudguards and Shimano disc brakes make the Mixer 8 an urban workhorse. It will even take multiple treks across continents with the rack mounts and has been proven with a recent trip from the UK to Morocco. The eccentric bb allows simple chain tension without faffing around with horizontal dropouts.

Well, gotta say the Chinese have been doing this forever -- I'm sure you've seen those ubiquitous 3 wheelers everywhere hauling anything from wood to chickens to beer and cement. Plus they many times have a little 'kicker' engine installed. Obnoxious as hell, but it will run on anything - like a British Seagull

But I'm hoping you wont get one of those Honda 2t 3wheelers - I hate those! Noisy, stinky and the articulated suspension allows them to go far too fast on the narrow streets around here!

@Phillip - LOVE IT! Only real difference between mine and this is the obvious use of Titanium and I'm incorporating a slightly more 'compact' geometry to decrease stand-over. Plus, since using belt drive, need different gearing (50x24) to meet the belt specs. Oh, yeah - mine has S&S couplers, too - so if you need to toss it in the trunk or a train - no sweat.

Philip, that might just be the ticket! :D

What is shipping a bike from the UK to Japan like?

Wow, that is seriously a cool bike to do the trailer hauling thing, should be up for some serious work:cool:

Holy chit, 555 yen to deliver it to Japan....? :eek:

My lovely wife agrees, at that price, this could certainly be getting on a plane to Japan....:bike:

Really 555 yen for delivery..... no.... SERIOUSLY.... :eek::eek::eek:

Well, gotta say the Chinese have been doing this forever -- I'm sure you've seen those ubiquitous 3 wheelers everywhere hauling anything from wood to chickens to beer and cement. Plus they many times have a little 'kicker' engine installed. Obnoxious as hell, but it will run on anything - like a British Seagull

But I'm hoping you wont get one of those Honda 2t 3wheelers - I hate those! Noisy, stinky and the articulated suspension allows them to go far too fast on the narrow streets around here!

I do have a Honda Gyro, a three wheeled 50cc scooter that I used to run everyday, I've rebuilt the motor twice and the transmission thrice, but now with the trailer set up, I run it about once a month. Used to go through maybe 10,000 yen worth of gas, a month, but now that tank of gas lasts for a VERY long time, so I'm saving the Monster-In-Law 10,000 yen a month, so yeah, the business can afford to buy me a new bike :D

Do you think that Charge Mixer would have low enough gearing to pull a full trailer up hill? I guess I could change the primary gearing eh?

Wow, I'm excited about this, Philip, if I get it, I'll owe you a beer or three :D

Oh wait a minute, I see the delivery is more like 12,509 yen, still that is cheap!

Has anyone here ordered a bike from Wiggle and had it shipped to Japan?

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom