What's new

What Motivates You to Ride Through Winter?

Almost Tokyo

Speeding Up
Oct 28, 2009
I am searching for motivation to keep my two wheels spinning until spring time. Some days it's hard for me to to put on the extra gear and get out in the cold weather. Anybody else struggle with this?

I don't mind indoor training, but really don't have space where I live. Two weeks in.. just 10 more to go! (sarcasm)

I honestly like the winter weather here in Kanto--not much rain, bright blue skies, fresh clean air--it's hard to stay indoors! After experiencing winters in England (wet!), Canada (cold!), and Akita (snowy!), Kanto seems almost...tropical. :cool: The depths of summer, on the other hand...

I honestly like the winter weather here in Kanto--not much rain, bright blue skies, fresh clean air--it's hard to stay indoors! After experiencing winters in England (wet!), Canada (cold!), and Akita (snowy!), Kanto seems almost...tropical. :cool: The depths of summer, on the other hand...

Totally agree - this is the best place to be in winter.

I don't struggle to get going - maybe a matter of having the right gear. I actually feel colder in autumn and spring than in winter, because it is harder to dress adequately for all altitudes. In winter, it is much simpler what to wear/take.

But this is not to say that it is as easy to go fast/far in winter as it is during spring and autumn. The colder air and the heavier gear do take their toll. But it is still a lot of fun.

Cheers, Ludwig

:) Good point. My wife is from Syracuse, NY (not far from Canada). Winter there is long and miserable to me. And riding in the rain at near freezing temperatures sounds just as bad.

So... It would be much worse in Hokkaido. ..but then I would have valid excuses like... Maybe I can ride next week when the ice on the road has melted. ;) Yes, Chiba/Tokyo isn't very cold, but cold enough for me to want to stay inside some days.

I don't like the heat (+ humidity) of summer most of the time, but while I'm riding it doesn't usually bother me. (Except when the pavement is hot enough to burn your feet while your stopped at a light.) But I enjoy summertime even more when I think about what the temperature will be like in 4 or 5 months.

I don't struggle to get going - maybe a matter of having the right gear. I actually feel colder in autumn and spring than in winter, because it is harder to dress adequately for all altitudes. In winter, it is much simpler what to wear/take.

But this is not to say that it is as easy to go fast/far in winter as it is during spring and autumn. The colder air and the heavier gear do take their toll. But it is still a lot of fun.

Cheers, Ludwig

Yeah, the change of seasons can be challenging for me. I often end up being under dressed for rides in autumn. Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to hold on to the warmer temps of summer. :)

Ride in winter?
I do get out on my bike almost everyday for a spin or two, but it's nothing comparing to my usual spring-summer-autumn rides.

Looking at Tom's blog and Deej's latest photos in the gallery makes me very envious (how dare you trying to stay in good shape during winter?!), it also winds up my body springs for the coming season - just you wait! :D

For me, the problem in winter are the shorter days. I chicken-out and head for home once 2pm rolls around, and my summer 3:30am starts are not really viable. My torches are fine for night riding, but I just can't get myself out of bed that early now!

I prefer to ride in off-season(winter??) too, Cause, there're not so many cyclist in my home ground CR. However, I can not ride much longer than the summer season maybe it's cause of human body's joint part, like knee or waist, is hard in cold weather? By the way, when you go outside with your bike, don't forget to stretch out~ ;)

For those who want more....

I have posted on the Positivo site more then once but not here.
Winter training plans and indoor training sessions on the computrainer...in Hiroo.
I offer both power based and aerobic based winter training programs.
You can find some of the info on tests & training or contact me directly for questions.
http://exercisequestions.net
Winter is the best time get a plan and make improvements!

Cheers, Ludwig

right gear?
I agree, but unfortunately I have slightest idea about this. For instances, do you have something like shirt with long sleeve under your jersey, or what kind of pants do you wear, or do you have additional short pants over your racing pants,,,something like those? Thank you for your suggestion. :(

Ride in winter?
I do get out on my bike almost everyday for a spin or two, but it's nothing comparing to my usual spring-summer-autumn rides. ...

I think I remember reading something about you cross-training during the winter, is that right? How's that going? I think it would be good to step away from the bike and turn to another form of exercise during the winter.

For me, the problem in winter are the shorter days. I chicken-out and head for home once 2pm rolls around, and my summer 3:30am starts are not really viable. My torches are fine for night riding, but I just can't get myself out of bed that early now!

Summer or winter, I'm not a morning person :eek: and I miss the long summer evenings as well.

I prefer to ride in off-season(winter??) too, Cause, there're not so many cyclist in my home ground CR. However, I can not ride much longer than the summer season maybe it's cause of human body's joint part, like knee or waist, is hard in cold weather? By the way, when you go outside with your bike, don't forget to stretch out~ ;)

That's right, no crowded bike paths! And thanks, for the reminder to stretch. :)

I'm a crack of dawn rider and these sub-zero mornings just beat the motivation right out of me. Once I'm out there and rolling, keeping warm is not a problem.
I think the biggest thing is the short days.

Weekdays I can go out at 4:30 and get back by 6:30 without even having gotten a hint of sunlight. That gets bleak and depressing quickly.

So this winter I'm going to run weekdays and ride a couple of centuries on the weekend. Hopefully that prevent me from putting on too much winter fat.

right gear?
I agree, but unfortunately I have slightest idea about this. For instances, do you have something like shirt with long sleeve under your jersey, or what kind of pants do you wear, or do you have additional short pants over your racing pants,,,something like those? Thank you for your suggestion. :(

I vary it by the day - depending on expected temperatures. It is usually three layers on my upper body: under shirt, a relatively thin jersey and a thicker jersey on top. The thinner jersey can be short or long-sleeved. The outer one has some kind of wind protection. I put up long-sleeves when I get warm (esp. uphill), open some or all of the layers for extra ventilation when needed. Just one layer of trousers, with wind protection. Winter cycling socks and shoe covers. Gloves, but not too warm ones or else they get very sweaty and wet, and then cold! Ear protection, face mask for the coldest temperatures/long down-hills.

You have to experiment a bit and work out over time what works best for you, depending on the weather.

Cheers, Ludwig

I vary it by the day - depending on expected temperatures. It is usually three layers on my upper body: under shirt, a relatively thin jersey and a thicker jersey on top. The thinner jersey can be short or long-sleeved. The outer one has some kind of wind protection. I put up long-sleeves when I get warm (esp. uphill), open some or all of the layers for extra ventilation when needed. Just one layer of trousers, with wind protection. Winter cycling socks and shoe covers. Gloves, but not too warm ones or else they get very sweaty and wet, and then cold! Ear protection, face mask for the coldest temperatures/long down-hills.

You have to experiment a bit and work out over time what works best for you, depending on the weather.

Cheers, Ludwig

Thank you Ludwig for giving me suggestions about cycling wears.
But how can we search "trousers with wind protection"? I hope it will be easy to find at bike shops.

Cheers, Massa

Gloves, but not too warm ones or else they get very sweaty and wet, and then cold!

I second the tip that gloves shouldn't be too warm. I am a bit of a glove fetishist, and won't wear anything but Roeckl. After a bit of experimentation, I found these to be my perfect winter glove:

http://www.bobshop.de/en/Men-s/Cycl...thermal-gloves-Windstopper-Comfort-black.html

Soft, warm - but never too warm. However, I have yet to experience them in wet weather.

I have given up on waterproof gloves (gore-tex), as they were just too hot and sweaty.

All the other Roeckl gloves are listed here. Used to be uber-expensive, but now with favorable exchange rates they are not so bad in Yen terms.

http://www.bobshop.de/en/Brands/Roeckl/

Bobshop is a nice shop, but certainly not bargain-basement.

What motivates me in Winter..... my gut line continuously decreasing, my racing goals for 2010, getting bored of being wasted on hill climbs by MOB and Ludwig!

Thank you Ludwig for giving me suggestions about cycling wears.
But how can we search "trousers with wind protection"? I hope it will be easy to find at bike shops.

Cheers, Massa

I don't think there is a set term for this - manufacturers use various expressions to describe roughly the same thing. The best is to ask in a shop, or to buy on mail order from a place that allows you to return if you don't like what you bought.

I second the tip that gloves shouldn't be too warm. I am a bit of a glove fetishist, and won't wear anything but Roeckl. After a bit of experimentation, I found these to be my perfect winter glove:

http://www.bobshop.de/en/Men-s/Cycl...thermal-gloves-Windstopper-Comfort-black.html

Soft, warm - but never too warm. However, I have yet to experience them in wet weather.

Thanks, should try them. I'm wearing Assos Early Winter - slightly cold early in the morning and on longer down-hills, so wonder whether the Roeckl gloves will give this little extra.

I also have some warmer Pearl Izumi gloves which are very nice as long as I don't sweat - which I end up doing on any ride, and so always regret having worn them.

I'm a crack of dawn rider and these sub-zero mornings just beat the motivation right out of me. Once I'm out there and rolling, keeping warm is not a problem.
I think the biggest thing is the short days.

Weekdays I can go out at 4:30 and get back by 6:30 without even having gotten a hint of sunlight. That gets bleak and depressing quickly.

So this winter I'm going to run weekdays and ride a couple of centuries on the weekend. Hopefully that prevent me from putting on too much winter fat.

I can't seem to get into a good habit of going to sleep early so, when I do wake up early, I do so with little rest and not much energy. I do have experience riding in the cold darkness and I agree - it is depressing.
Running should at least cut down on the windchill effect. :)

Back
Top Bottom