What's new

What is your longest ride?

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
I must admit that I get bored after about 100km and tend to want to go home.
I've done plenty of 100km rides but I don't think I've ever done more than about 140km in one hit with no stops. (wimp).

I'm planning to put this pitiful record to rest with a 300km ride to Hakuba next week and then I may be able to hold my head high in this thread... :eek:

I see a lot of people on here with the odd 240km expedition...

Who has the record?
How far did you go?
How long did it take?

Will a 300km ride put me up and out of the wimp category?
Not sure if I'll be riding the return leg or get the train home... 600kms in 3 days may be a challenge...too much.

Travis and Thomas have done some monster rides... who else?

Who has the record?

My money's on Thomas :). I seem to remember a ride report last year that he and Christoph did over what seemed every toge in the Japan Alps... It was a fair bit north of 300 km.

I certainly hope so. :)

Good luck with the trip, btw. I envy your place in Hakuba. One great thing about the long rides is they're a fantastic way to shed pounds...if you can avoid eating an entire casserole dish of shepherd's pie when you get home, that is.

Tokyo→Itoigawa Fast Run Classic 294km

For me it was the Tokyo (Takao) → Itoigawa Fast Run Classic in May this year...about 300km covered in less than 10 hours (9:52:58) or an average speed of 29:51... (on that single day, I cycled more than 340km)

Although the word "race" cannot be used (has something to do with traffic control regulations in this country), this is in fact a real race where you are competing and where your time gets measured (a bit like Giro de Hotaka).

Read all about it on (M O B : http://positivo-espresso.blogspot.com/2008/05/true-tokyo-itoigawa-monogatari.html

and on: http://vlaamsewielrenner.blogspot.com/2008/05/37th-classic-300km-endurance.html

and on still an earlier entry: http://vlaamsewielrenner.blogspot.com/2008/05/37th-tokyoitoigawa-fast-run-classic.html

Well organized & highly recommendable...ought to be on the list of "Official TCC Tours" :) !

215km

On Sado in May and again in the Chiba brevet last weekend.

A real goal is Paris - Brest - Paris of course, this is something like 1600km I believe. Totally insane !!

chazzer

Tom, that was a good read; I didn't know about the Itoigawa ride. Could be tempted to do that next year... If anybody else does it we could stay in Hakuba after (One hour train ride back from Itoigawa). I almost went to Itoigawa last month from Hakuba but heard the tunnels were dangerous so I went the opposite direction to Hotaka (Nagano one) which was a nice easy safer ride.

Just mapped my intended route for next week. (I'm sure I'll make a few detours to get it to 300 but only showing 273.68km at the moment door to door...)

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/noda/444084320567

The first half looks easy...the 2nd half may be a killer...

Stage1-NodaHakuba.jpg

Looks easy coming home...

The 200km Saitama Audax ride in January this year, plus a 70km round-trip getting to and from the base.

I did the main ride in 10:37, no idea about the commute.

Pretty sure I can do it in under 10 hours next year.

Longest, Fastest, Non-Stop . . .

I competed in the Sado Island triathlon a few weeks ago. We completed a full lap of the island on the bike without stopping - no breaks (plus there was a 4km swim prior and 42km marathon afterward).

I completed the 190km bike lap in 6 hours 08 mins (average speed 31kph) non-drafting & 1,664m of climbing.

Awesome!

I competed in the Sado Island triathlon a few weeks ago. We completed a full lap of the island on the bike without stopping - no breaks (plus there was a 4km swim prior and 42km marathon afterward).
I completed the 190km bike lap in 6 hours 08 mins (average speed 31kph) non-drafting & 1,664m of climbing.

Philip, that average speed would've definitely seen you on the Hotaka podium last year (had you been there)...
For the record, I won't be racing against anyone but myself! - All I'm aiming to do is break the "5 hour" barrier. If I can do that, I'll be happy (and still in the top 20):D

Again, that was pretty awesome Philip!
T

Apples & Oranges . . .

Philip, that average speed would've definitely seen you on the Hotaka podium last year (had you been there)...

Last year at the Sado Island Triathlon I was nearly 24 minutes slower than this year on the same course :) And . . . Sado has lots of ups and downs which allows you to recover from the climbing efforts whilst Hotaka appears to have three long climbs that must seriously impact your average speed. I suspect that last climb is death on two legs (sorry couldn't resist)

For the record, I won't be racing against anyone but myself! - All I'm aiming to do is break the "5 hour" barrier. If I can do that, I'll be happy (and still in the top 20):D

I'll be leaving the racing up to the speed merchants - Deej, Mike, Alan, Tom, Thomas, Marek, Simon, Phil and some guy called YellowGiant among others. My first bike race - I just want to finish safely. (My worry about accidents in large groups of riders has kept me out of races until now :eek: Your race accounts have emboldened me to try).

Longest Ride

My longest ride was with Thomas in 2007 - nearly 200kms with a climb to 1400 metres.

Kicked me a$$ but I didn`t dismount and walk!:p

Philip...

congrats on a great performance. 31km/h is awesome mate! And yes, you're spot on about Hotaka. That last climb, is an absolute killer. And as for accidents, I passed a guy who was zig zagging all over the place on that climb and went passed him using a very wide berth:) Ring any bells Deej? Sorry mate, but couldn't resist....

p.s. yes here I am at home on a Sat night, how sad that is. But just know that it's because I'm gonna kick some ass on the ride tomorrow with the Japanese squad I ride with. That's right, I'm not gonna get dropped tomorrow:mad:

I passed a guy who was zig zagging all over the place on that climb and went passed him using a very wide berth:) Ring any bells Deej? Sorry mate, but couldn't resist....

Ouch! Yeah, a couple bells just went off. :D But don't worry, pride would keep me from zig-zagging in a race.

And Philip -- wow. Well done at Sado! I look forward to hearing more details about the race.

Oh, as for my longest ride, it was my 240km-plus ride in January from Fujieda, Shizuoka Prefecture, to my home in Setagaya. It took me 12-something hours, as I missed a few turns here and there, took a couple long-ish breaks, as well as plopped Mikuni Toge in the middle as a "shortcut." Little did I know how ferocious that climb is.

Deej

I rode with Tom the Itoigawa Fast Run race. Well, that might be an exaggeration as we rode together for about 300 meters on the approach to Otarumi of the 290km plus race.

The tunnels between Hakuba and Itoigawa are pretty scary - but also pretty fast as well. Under constant terror to be overrun by honking dumper trucks one is driven to the outmost edges of one's performance. This is something to boast about. Provided you make it in the first place.

Apart from this I have done three more rides with more than 200 km distance, one being the 210 km long Sado Longride in 2007 which was no fun at all due to the appaling weather conditions; a Okutama - Matsuhime - Route 20 loop app. 200 km long in 2007 and some weeks ago a ride from Tokyo through Hakone to Shimoda.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I tend to agree with Peter. Up to 120-150 km or so its fun, after that it turns out to become harder and I mainly wish to get over it.

Back home in L.A. I did a 300km brevet. I was one of the last riders to come in, due to a couple of flats and countless wrong turns. Not sure what my actual distance was because of those wrong turns as my cyclocomputer wasn't working properly (which also contributed to the many wrong turns) but I imagine it was in the realm of 320 or 330km. I'd like to work my way up to the 400, 800, and eventually 1200km events. What's the brevet scene like here in Japan? I also rode from Kyoto to Tokyo a couple of weeks ago. It was spread out over five days carrying camping gear, with the longest one-day stretch being about 180km.

Day Trips Vice Longest Rides

I must admit that I get bored after about 100km and tend to want to go home.
I've done plenty of 100km rides but I don't think I've ever done more than about 140km in one hit with no stops. (wimp).

I'm planning to put this pitiful record to rest with a 300km ride to Hakuba next week and then I may be able to hold my head high in this thread... :eek:

I see a lot of people on here with the odd 240km expedition...

Who has the record?
How far did you go?
How long did it take?

Not sure if I'll be riding the return leg or get the train home... 600kms in 3 days may be a challenge...too much.

My longest day trip was 200ishkms, but I`ve ridden from Aomori Prefecture to Yokohama and Wakayama to Yokohama - each 1000ish kms I suppose - certainly not in one gulp.:eek:uch:

154 miles. All day long. 248 km. 7 times [ NOT same day or same year. ] It would have been a beautiful 2 day ride. May do that one day but NOT on that day. And all I got was a lousy t shirt that I had to pay for ! TODO

http://www.redmondcyclingclub.org/RAMROD/RAMROD.html

PS. Did 11 STP too but in 2 days. The one day boys don't look like they are having any fun.

Back
Top Bottom