What's new

What is an Enduro Race?

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Hi guys,

short simple question: What is a road cycling "enduro race"?
How does it differ from an ordinary Time Trial?

Thanks,
Malte

Most enduro's in Japan are team based races over a set time. Think of these like a 4 hr crit on a 2-6 km loop where you trade off with team mates. People can sign up solo or in variety of team size. The atmosphere and sense of camaraderie if aking to 24 hr mtn bike races in US (compressed into 4 hrs).

It's a group start race that will have numerous other races in it.

The King of Endurance Race is a 3 hour race followed by a 2 hour race, you can either ride it solo or as a team and with different times either only the 3 hour or the 2 hour. If you are going for the King title you must compete solo in both events.

Tokyo Enduro event is a team based enduro race, however some teams will only field 1 rider for the event with the other 3 being support.

Most Enduro races will have a "cut off" time based on the lead riders position in comparison to the dead line, anyone passing a finishing line will be given that time as the final time, leaving those that make the cut off mark to race it out in the final sprint.

This is why on a Enduro Race you'' get a time with +1, +2 , +3 etc after the time to show how many laps back you finished compared to the winners.

Some races will actually neutralise rider that are passed by the lead riders - JCRC "Z" Class will do this (Z class is the Enduro Race).

Most enduro's in Japan are team based races over a set time. Think of these like a 4 hr crit on a 2-6 km loop where you trade off with team mates. People can sign up solo or in variety of team size. The atmosphere and sense of camaraderie if aking to 24 hr mtn bike races in US (compressed into 4 hrs).

Thank you.
So is an Enduro always limited by time not by km (km like in TT)?
Who wins then?

Thats right so basically it will be 2,3,5,8 hour Enduro and for those with a few screws loose 24hr.

Basically the whole aim is how far you can ride in the designated time. How ever as they are a group start the fast guys will form a bunch and basically just race it as a normal Strada Corsa with riders rotating through the front to maintain speed.

The teams that normally win are the ones that either don't switch riders and ride the whole time solo (Anyone racing standard group start races should be able to do this) or have the least amounts of stops.

It's a group start race that will have numerous other races in it.
Most Enduro races will have a "cut off" time based on the lead riders position in comparison to the dead line, anyone passing a finishing line will be given that time as the final time, leaving those that make the cut off mark to race it out in the final sprint.

Let me confirm:
So if I make it within the "cut of time" I can race one more lap? In that case I can still overtake the leader and win, right?
If not I am grouped into a bucket with all others that are back by -1 lab or -2 labs and the fastest time within this group is taken for the ranking?

One more question: Is drafting allowed behind other riders and if yes are tactics any different from a normal road race (assuming you ride it solo not as a team)?

One more question: Is drafting allowed behind other riders and if yes are tactics any different from a normal road race (assuming you ride it solo not as a team)?

Basically the whole aim is how far you can ride in the designated time. How ever as they are a group start the fast guys will form a bunch and basically just race it as a normal Strada Corsa with riders rotating through the front to maintain speed.

Ok I think that answers that question :)

Hmm, so in this case below, it would mean that there is a neutralized group start and after the first round it's a TT with drafting :). Is that a common thing?

9.9km周回を5周49.5km ...
1周目はアップ及びコース確認を含めたアクチュアルスタート

Let me confirm:
So if I make it within the "cut of time" I can race one more lap? In that case I can still overtake the leader and win, right?
If not I am grouped into a bucket with all others that are back by -1 lab or -2 labs and the fastest time within this group is taken for the ranking?

Yes thats right, normally those that make the cut off are grouped very close together so there is a sprint for the line.

If you don't make the cut off you will get an individual time and then ranking sorted on that.

In regards to "9.9km周回を5周49.5km ...1周目はアップ及びコース確認を含めたアクチュアルスタート"

It's what they call an exihibition lap - the whole group goes around together for one lap so you get a feel for the course and also so the experienced and faster riders can jolstle to the front - your not supposed to over take in this part and could potentially get booted although I have never seen it happen, but I would recommend getting to the start line early.

In this case I can't say its an enduro, if they are stating that its a set distance then first across the line is the winner - like any other race right?

Like I said an endurance race is basically how far you can get in a certain amount of time, a TT or TTT is who can cover a set distance in the fastest time and each rider or team sets off and timed intervals with no draft allowed as well as other rules such as neutralisation for passing certain riders etc.
1 day race or Stage race is a set distance race, with group start and first across the line wins.

Most of the start lines in organised enduros you have to line up in order of your entry number. Lowest numbers get the front line... (Tsukuba Circuit)
Some are first to the start line can keep the poll position. (Motegi).

In a nutshell... the person or team within a category who ride the furthest in the allotted time win. (can be multiple winners and categories).

... after the first round it's a TT with drafting :)..

Strategically yes. Tactically you have to be much more on the ball than in a straight time trial. The Enduro races I have done have a huuuuuuge range of abilities from kids and mamacharis wobbling along to the main pack thundering by at 50+ km/h. Lots of crashes in the first few laps until people get sorted out. Also you have to watch the breaks so as not to get dropped.

Have fun :D AW.

Back
Top Bottom