What's new

What do you call out when coming up on & passing people?

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Over in another thread, @JackTheCommuter said: "I usually announce "to-o-ri masu" at a reasonable volume while approaching."

Personally, I usually call out "jitensha" or "abunai" in different ways depending on the situation.

Other suggestions?

individual people Nothing. Calling out migi or hidari often invites them to move that way. Anything else usually causes people to try and move out of the way unpredictably. Groups of people get a big Sumimasen. Seriously MUPs arent designed for sport cyclists. So just slow down and enjoy the scenery.

Migi/hidari torimasu

Works for me.

I found that if I don't inform them which side I'm approaching from it causes panic and suffering in the older folk and a general wiggling right to left from the younger.

Migi/hidari torimasu

Works for me.

I found that if I don't inform them which side I'm approaching from it causes panic and suffering in the older folk and a general wiggling right to left from the younger.
I just go for a simple "torimasu" but yeah, good point. Don't want to scare the old folks with words. That's what my face is for.

Edit: This is generally only on cycle paths like the ones along the Arakawa, Tone and Tama. If I'm passing on the road, I just get my Road Rash on and whip them with a chain.

Last edited:
I at first just pedal backwards or clunk the gear changes and let my bicycle do the talking...if I'm not in a hurry I just wait for them to realize they are playing elephants... As mentioned above.... jitensha toorimasu...then slow down and see which way they jump...

I just whistle loud.

That usually just gets them to look round. I have found that the call I use can get most to move aside without slowing to look at where the noise is coming from, they just lump sideways and continue on.

Abunai, gets similar reactions to the whistle and frightens the bejesus out of those more senior.

Reactions: mau
I think abunai will scare them and might create panic for they will wonder what will be that abunai thing will happen. They might think a plane crush landing towards them and the like. lol

I just used to say Sumimasen and slow right down. Still didn't stop me hitting a woman head on as she decided to cross from the left to the right for no reason at all. I find saying right or left (in Japanese) confuses them - as they do not know if it means you are going left or right or they are to move left or right.

I find saying right or left (in Japanese) confuses them - as they do not know if it means you are going left or right or they are to move left or right.

Never once had this issue.

It has always meant "I'm passing on the right". That's it, no confusion ever.

People round your way must be thick as sh1t

People round your way must be thick as sh1t

The thick as shit people were on the cycle paths etc in Japan

Nope, get it all the time in Japan, people hear right or left and as they turn their head that way the body or bike invariably follows. Walkers and runners are worse than cyclists.

I think the key is to get attention from distance enough for them to decide on how to avoid or give way.

Nope, get it all the time in Japan, people hear right or left and as they turn their head that way the body or bike invariably follows. Walkers and runners are worse than cyclists.

Thank you - not just me

Back
Top Bottom