What's new

Review What bike maintenance book would you recommend

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
Thought I'd look around and check out a bike maintenance book. So... what would you recommend.

The Park Tool one is the go-to I think. Latest ed are updated with all the new tech.

Is that the one by Calvin Jones?

If so, what part of the book should I start with prior to actually buying my bike?

Is that the one by Calvin Jones?

If so, what part of the book should I start with prior to actually buying my bike?
How to change an inner tube. If I had my time again I'd also practice at home. Deflate the tyre, take the inner tube off and put it on again. Keep doing until you're comfortable with the procedure. It's also quite easy (in novice hands) to puncture a new tube while putting it on the wheel. I did that😒

I think I used this YouTube video.

How to change an inner tube. If I had my time again I'd also practice at home. Deflate the tyre, take the inner tube off and put it on again. Keep doing until you're comfortable with the procedure. It's also quite easy (in novice hands) to puncture a new tube while putting it on the wheel. I did that😒

I think I used this YouTube video.

Sure am glad with all the advice I'm getting on this forum.

What book is Zinn?

If you are going on a tour, buy a spare rear mech hanger. Its a sacrificial part that snaps if your rear gears have a problem that would risk bending the frame. This part is usually exclusive to your bike frame and may change for different years' models of the same bike. This means that a bike shop will rarely have the right one and will have to order it in, sometimes from overseas. This can put your bike off the road for a very long time, sometimes weeks.

Back
Top Bottom