What's new

What bar shape do you use?

TokyoTurtle

Speeding Up
Jun 6, 2013
Just got my new frame last Fri for a new build. Been looking into which parts to buy, and I'm curious about what bar shape folks here are using.

So what is it? Compact shallow & short reach? Traditional bend? Ergo-shaped?

Most likely will get 3T Rotundo Pros or Ritchey WCS Classics myself.

After being fitted by Chuck, I'm now using FSA Wing Pro compact. My arms are relatively short, so they suit me well and it means I can spend more time in the drops.

Traditional Maes bend for me. TBH I'm not familiar with any other style of bar, but the Maes just feels right. If it ain't broke...

Deda 35 RHM bars

M35SET-thumb-500x357.jpg

Not for men with girly hands.

I used fsa wing pro compact for a long time and just made the switch to 3t ergo nova team edition carbon bar. It isn't as compact as the fsa but just right for me.

Graphite Design Climbar LR's for me. It's compact with just the perfect reach for easy transition to drops for descending (and braking). Combined with the GD stem there is probably no better bar / stem combo on the market.

8c7d11bd6b463f8f7b11dcce99352c095.jpg

I've been through more bars and stems this last 6 months that I would like to admit, I'm now on the Easton EC90 SLX3 which I really like… compact reach and drop (75/130) but still reasonably round bend if they just had the 3T's oval tops of the ergonova my search for the perfect bar would have been over. I will have to live with these for now… or do I...

ec90-slx3--road-bar.jpg
GSAstuto I looked at those bars a couple of days ago after a tip from Owen, they look really nice indeed!

saibot If you notice the GD bars - you can see that they maintain the larger diameter from the stem. I tried the Deda 35's , btw - and I really like the extra diameter - but it was just a tad too much. The GD's are 31.8 all the way through. And the cable slots line up perfect for increasing the profile just where I like it.

Thanks for the responses.

Pete, those look great; traditional bend is what I like. Is it the oversize diameter (31.8) all the way until the start of the bend?

Thanks
Yes, they are 31.8 from the stem out to the bend where they taper down. Like Tim (GSAstuto), I strongly prefer the extra diameter along the crossbar section!

Yes, they are 31.8 from the stem out to the bend where they taper down. Like Tim (GSAstuto), I strongly prefer the extra diameter along the crossbar section!

Thanks

And how is the reach/drop? Shimano lists them at 79.5/130.5, which is a bit short & shallow. You use a long stem? No forearm clearance issues?

Thanks

And how is the reach/drop? Shimano lists them at 79.5/130.5, which is a bit short & shallow. You use a long stem? No forearm clearance issues?
I use a matching 120mm Pro Vibe 7s stem, and don't have any issues with clearance of any sort. I get a nice flat transition from the bars to the hoods, a lot of usable hand locations on the top and in the drops, and plenty of space to get my hands forward into the drops with a comfortable reach to the brakes for high performance descending.

Thanks. Can I ask how tall you are and what frame size you use? CAAD 10 if I recall.
Sure... I'm about 178cm tall with longish arms and legs riding a 54cm Cannondale CAAD10. For stack height, I'm using one 1cm spacer on the 14cm head tube.

BTW, I have an extra Pro Vibe 7s 42cm Full Round Bar sitting around if you are interested. PM me.

probably no better bar / stem combo on the market.

Many would probably disagree with that statement and come on its subjective - bars are just like saddles, its all about ergonomics, stiffness and the ability to remove road chatter - each rider is a unique and requires very different things.

There are only a few bars on the market that I actually feel comfortable on. I have several friends that race for the team and I tried the bars, the curve for me is way to tight and hands can't fit inside them - perfect for people with little hands but if you aren't Japanese of 5 foot nothing then these bars aren't going to work for you, especailly if you want anything with a c2c of 440 or above.

The quality though is very good.

Exactly why I love them - I have smaller hands and these bars about the only ones that let me get good reach on my levers in a very natural position. Yeah - the composite construction is insanely good on these, too. They are mainly famous for golf clubs and using quite a complicated layup pattern. Being the R&D wing of Toray doesn't hurt either. Plus the ready use of Nippon Graphite. Essentially these are the pinnacle of carbon composite construction. P.S. if you want a special profile - it is possible.

So what is it? Compact shallow & short reach? Traditional bend? Ergo-shaped?

From my experience the brake/shifter interface angle to the bar is the most critical thing. After that, the depth of drop is still important, but secondary. If you can't get the transition from brake/shifter to the bar smooth, then you spend all your time with hands that hurt or go numb quicker. I would suggest you find out which brakes go well with the any of the above recommended bars. If you're thinking about using a different brand of brake/shifters then be wary that they may not be comfortable
As I found in my bike build, my first set of bars suited SRAM brake/shifters but I needed to go with a tighter curvature (As it happens I can see the GDs recommended above have that tighter curvature, but I personally use a Compact Pro vibe) to get a flat transistion with the latest Shimano Ultegra Di set I was building onto the bike. The difference in comfort was night and day for me after getting that transistion flat - never had the slightest soreness or numbness in my hand since.

Back
Top Bottom