What's new

What are your favorite cafes to ride to?

factorzero

Maximum Pace
Oct 10, 2020
The majority of my rides are usually cafe rides, riding out to bike friendly cafes/restaurants. I didn't see any threads with a recent list of cafes so I thought I'd start one.
Things I look for:
- good bike parking / easy to keep an eye on your bike
- catering specifically to cyclists
- open early (ideally 8am or earlier)

Here's a few that I have found and rode to:

Honoka / 石窯パン工房穂の香 (open early, outdoor seating)

Trex Kawasaki River Cafe (bike racks, lots of indoor/outdoor seating/bike shop)

Fuglen Tokyo (open early, outdoor seating. Bike parking tends to get crowded though..)

Fuglen Kawasaki (outdoor seating, opens 9am, riverside)

Blue Bottle Coffee Kiyosumi Shirakawa (open early)

WISE MAN COFFEE (Bike racks)

Takao Coffee (bike racks)

Mt.TAKAO BASE CAMP (bike racks)

Last edited:
This is my favourite type of ride, as Kangaroo will vouch for me due to instagram posts.
I am starting to post regular videos on my Youtube channel and will be posting Tokyo Cafe Ride series regularly.

Turret Coffee, Tsukiji (open at 7am)
here is a YouTube video I made for my Tokyo Cafe Ride series.

Frankie Melbourne espresso (bikes a little tricky)
Allpress Espresso, Kiyosumi
Iki Espresso, Kiyosumi
Machi no Parlour, Ekoda
Dean & Deluca Marunouchi, near Imperial Palace.
Cibi, Sendagi & Kita-Sando.
Blue Bottle Coffee, Mansei-bashi.
Ratio & C Coffee, Aoyama
About Life Coffee, Dogenzaka, Shibuya
Little Nap Coffee Stand, Yoyogi.

Tons of others I can't think of at the moment and might leave for others to share. hahaha

While open well after 8am, Rapha is the only place I have found that I can wheel my bike inside and hang it up, enjoy the cafe and not worry about my bike.

This is my favourite type of ride, as Kangaroo will vouch for me due to instagram posts.
I am starting to post regular videos on my Youtube channel and will be posting Tokyo Cafe Ride series regularly.

Iki Espresso, Kiyosumi
Machi no Parlour, Ekoda
Ratio & C Coffee, Aoyama

Tons of others I can't think of at the moment and might leave for others to share. hahaha

While open well after 8am, Rapha is the only place I have found that I can wheel my bike inside and hang it up, enjoy the cafe and not worry about my bike.

I will attest to that!
And I will add that I don't know anybody whose presentation of the coffee shops on rides rivals yours. It's always outstanding and never fails to make me want to visit the same places you have (I would visit them all if I weren't so lazy).

I wouldn't usually recommend going anywhere near Miura or Kamakura on a bicycle (apologies to the locals), but you might as well take advantage of the brief plunge in tourist numbers to do a clockwise loop of the former to end at the latter, here: https://vervecoffee.jp/pages/kitakamakura.
Nice recommendation. I've been there once and was just at the Shinjuku cafe the other day, editing a video now. Kamakura is a good ride, I enjoy heading down the river to get there too.

definitely need to get there before tons of tourists are there recreating anime photo scenes at the Enoden stops near the beach.

Not for coffee, but now and then I stop in at this place for lunch. Lunch sets are ¥3000 (plus some a la carte items).

Iki Espresso, Kiyosumi
Machi no Parlour, Ekoda
Ratio & C Coffee, Aoyama

Quite a a few of those are on my list of places checkout and the others I have been to. Similar taste.

I heard Frankie Melbourne is closing down soon

I wouldn't usually recommend going anywhere near Miura or Kamakura on a bicycle (apologies to the locals), but you might as well take advantage of the brief plunge in tourist numbers to do a clockwise loop of the former to end at the latter, here: https://vervecoffee.jp/pages/kitakamakura.
Dropped by Verve in Kita-Kamakura yesterday. Not bad at all. Definitely prefer the low key back street vibe of Goodman Coffee in Enoshima though. Great coffee and not far from the Sakai River cycling path.

Since March I made all my own coffee, buying nice buy well priced beans at a local roaster, not from the third wave coffee joints I used to frequent.

Recently I've dropped by a few cafes, Verve & Frankie and realised why I'd saved so much money over the last few months. For the price of two coffees and two cakes/slices at a cafe I can buy beans (& even some nice biscuits) to make 40 coffees at home. Wonder how much of this change in consumers added to the woes of cafes like Frankie shutting down.

loving this thread and finding cafes I don't know about. If you ride in Tokyo, especially early morning laps you need to go visit Turret Coffee, opens from 7am.

As for recently closed Frankie, here last a quick look at it where I visited just 30 mins before @Kangaeroo did and we just missed each other.

Tokyo Cafe ride - Frankie Melbourne Espresso, Shimokitazawa.

I hit the Shiraito General Store this weekend. It was not on our agenda, but after climbing up from Gotemba we decided to stop at the falls. While there, I got the urge for a coffee and it did not disappoint. There were only 2 other people in the shop when we got there, but we drank out coffee outside. The little courtyard over looked a waterfall.

1606086029322.png

1606086070804.png

Since March I made all my own coffee, buying nice buy well priced beans at a local roaster, not from the third wave coffee joints I used to frequent.

Recently I've dropped by a few cafes, Verve & Frankie and realised why I'd saved so much money over the last few months. For the price of two coffees and two cakes/slices at a cafe I can buy beans (& even some nice biscuits) to make 40 coffees at home. Wonder how much of this change in consumers added to the woes of cafes like Frankie shutting down.

loving this thread and finding cafes I don't know about. If you ride in Tokyo, especially early morning laps you need to go visit Turret Coffee, opens from 7am.

As for recently closed Frankie, here last a quick look at it where I visited just 30 mins before @Kangaeroo did and we just missed each other.

Tokyo Cafe ride - Frankie Melbourne Espresso, Shimokitazawa.

Which roaster do you use?

Last edited:
Doing some route exploring I went out towards the hold in Tama and stopped by Zebra Coffee near Hashimoto station.

ZEBRA Coffee & Croissant Hashimoto
〒252-0143 Kanagawa, Sagamihara, Midori Ward, Hashimoto, 3 Chome−2−14 アイフォーコム橋本ビル B1F
042-703-3008

Not quite as sceanic of a location compared to the Yokohama location, but it's a nice place to stop and refuel if you're out of range from cross coffee.

I hit the Shiraito General Store this weekend. It was not on our agenda, but after climbing up from Gotemba we decided to stop at the falls. While there, I got the urge for a coffee and it did not disappoint. There were only 2 other people in the shop when we got there, but we drank out coffee outside. The little courtyard over looked a waterfall.

View attachment 28496

View attachment 28497

That's a really nice looking spot.

My favorite was 7-11 cause of the sugar buns. But they seem to have disappeared and now I'm leaning towards Lawsons cause they do a bigger cup and that's better in winter.

Back
Top Bottom