Welcome to the wonderful world of Tubs

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
I've been thinking about getting a new wheelset for the last month or two. I have a set of alloy clinchers and a set of Reynold carbon Aero 58's so after lots of deliberation I decided to go with a set of super light climbing tubulars. Having spoken with @TCC on numerous occasions we came up with a plan which would involve getting some very nice German "Tune" hubs shipped over from Fairwheel Bikes in the US (really helpful guys), some Sapim CX-ray spokes and 24mm carbon rims from Farsports in China and asking @TCC nicely to help me build them up. Owen was great and even met up with me to give me an introduction in wheelbuilding. I ordered the rims first, then Owen told me what size spokes to order. Once they arrived, Owen went into full wheelbuilding mode and after working his magic, they were ready within a few days.

I decided to go with a pair of Conti sprinters after reading lots of reviews. They have a very slight weight penalty but most reviewer talk of their durability. I decided to go with Miyata tubular tape instead of glue and it was much easier than I had imagined to get them on.

The wheels are all built up now and have just over 200km on them. They are still absolutely bang on and ride like a dream. Acceleration is fantastic and climbing hills is a joy. Most of the wheels I have ridden usually rubbed on the brake pads when out of the saddle and pushing hard, but these don't. Really glad I went along with Owen's advice (And @saibot ,too. He was the one that made me go tubs rather that ultra light clinchers). I couldn't be happier with the result.

Just a few pics of the bike with her new shoes on. Oh, and I know it is rude to talk about a lady's weight but she tips the scales at 6.08kg with pedals. Not bad for an "L" sized frame.

Last edited:

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
Tokyo
You could save an extra 1.5g by trimming the end of that skewer :)

Nice setup. I had my "cheating wheels" on this weekend; really feel the difference on the climbs. The bike just surges forward with each pedal stroke.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
Very, Very nice! What did the butchers bill tally to?
Most of the cost lay in the hubs. They set me back $600 (about 63,000 yen) and Fairwheel bikes threw in free FedEx shipping too. Rims came in at about 28,000 for the pair then spokes, 2 Ti skewers and 4 pairs of carbon specific brake pads came in at 20,000 yen (all including shipping) so total was a little over 100,000 yen, but they are well worth it.

@wexford I caught the disease off @saibot and @TCC .

@Robert what she doesn't know won't hurt her ;)

@AlanW good spot. I'll get my hacksaw out tonight ;) . I like the name "cheating wheels". Think I'll have to start using it from now on.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
You carrying a spare then? Don't forget to add that weight to your wheel weight! Ha ha ha!

They look great, I was on tubs for 18mths as my mountain wheels. But after the last flat unrepairable flat I gave up. Great for racing I am sure, not so great for repeated mountain excursions.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
You carrying a spare then? Don't forget to add that weight to your wheel weight! Ha ha ha!

They look great, I was on tubs for 18mths as my mountain wheels. But after the last flat unrepairable flat I gave up. Great for racing I am sure, not so great for repeated mountain excursions.
Spare tyre? Nah! I've got sealant I the tyres and I carry some Tufo sealant which is apparently a little thicker than other sealants so I'll add it to the tyre if I get a puncture. Train stations are usually not too far away in Japan do I the worst came to the worst, I could ride very gingerly back to the nearest station. If I do multi-day rides the ill definitely swap back to clinchers though. Anyway, stop trying to burst my little bubble ;).

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Anyway, stop trying to burst my little bubble ;).
Not trying to burst your bubble, just letting you know the reality of tubulars. You WILL get un repairable flats, and it WILL take 30 odd minutes for you to realize the fact that the sealant is not going to work. And that your ride is over. It's ok in these temps but in winter it can be fairly annoying for you and those shivering and waiting.

Anyway doesn't stop em being kick ass wheels. Just means you are always riding wondering if today is that day.