What's new

Weight gain after exercise

Nutrition for event related activities may likely vary considerably than for general fitness. For example, a key benchmark for competitive athletes is their total water consumption rate based on a test that measures body weight before and after a set duration (generally on a trainer). Then a calculation is made to determine the optimal replacement volume. (Oftentimes including electrolyte analysis too). As you ride more and more strenuously your blood plasma volume will increase - and decrease afterwards. So, it's natural to weigh a little more after you've had a hard workout of a couple or several hours simply due to this. Assuming you've been hydrating 'properly' to begin with. Then a few hours (or day) later, that plasma volume will naturally reduce and so will the weight it carries. Professional and serious amateur athletes train based on very critical programs that are constantly monitored and adjusted according to a variety of data such as the above and regular analysis blood work. For general fitness almost anyone can do a little more on the hydration side of things (as FE aptly notes). Just very basically if your urine is dark colored, you are probably on the dehydrated side of things. Increase your water consumption until your urine is pale or near-clear. Over consumption of water has its own hazards, but is generally rare amongst casual cyclists. I wouldn't worry too much about water weight --- it's not permanent. And also as you work out more, you may actually find yourself gaining weight due to increased lean muscle mass. That's not a bad thing, either. Again, very big difference in requirements for those engaged in casual or recreational cycling and those competing at national or professional levels.

The mentioning of biometric scales has got me thinking about body fat percentages. I remember reading about that rather poor cyclist Wadley Biggins and his weight. The article talked about him shedding alot of weight to around 70-71kg. He said that he lost more but his body fat percentage and weight was too low for prolonged endurance and that he performed better at his current weight and body fat percentage. What is the ideal body fat percentage (if there even is an ideal number). Too much and I suppose you are carrying
too much. Too little and your body suffers through lack of endurance. Any ideas?

How do you know if this is the case?

I recall reading somewhere that dark rings around the eyes / eyelids can indicate dehydration, which is why you often see that in people who stay up with a lot of coffee or have been drinking a lot of alcohol recently. If the cells contain less water, the darker colour of blood vessels dominates.

Why do those scale ask for your age?
If I input 48 it gives a totally different readout than if I put in 28 or 68.
Seems like it makes a calculation base on some kind of average.
And I an NOT average! :)

No which is why you should be using one of either the medical grade scales or sports science versions as the data bases used are very different.

If anyone is interested, there`s an interesting series on the (in)accuracy of all types of weight measuring devices here
Apparently:
`The only way to truly measure your body fat is through carcass analysis. That means you would have to be dead so that we could strip all of the fat off of your body and weigh it. I don't see anybody volunteering for that any time soon.`
Bioelectrical Impedance (BIA) devices are also covered. Kinda destroys the voodoo
`BIA can be problematic because it's a prediction based off of a prediction, so the error gets compounded. When you look at group averages for BIA measurements, there tends to be bias, with BIA often underpredicting how much fat you have. As with other techniques, the individual error rates can get high, with some research showing error rates of around 8-9%. In fact, BIA doesn't do much better than BMI at predicting body fat in some cases. When it comes to measuring change over time, BIA can often underpredict the amount of fat loss, and the estimated change can be off by up to 8%.`

No which is why you should be using one of either the medical grade scales or sports science versions as the data bases used are very different.
They shouldn't need a data base, they should measure actual levels.
There is also a big difference in readings taken before and after exercise.
BTW I use the "In Body" system at Tipness.

You chaps can talk about voodoo as much as you like, but I know that my Tanita scales tell the truth. Only this morning they told me that I have 11.2% body fat and burn calories at a level similar to an 18 year old.

Worth every penny.

They shouldn't need a data base, they should measure actual levels.
There is also a big difference in readings taken before and after exercise.
BTW I use the "In Body" system at Tipness.

The database is for the BMI as well as collecting data so that they can improve on the calculations that the system use. Im not an expert on the technology behind these systems, nor do I claim to be. However I am able to use the data it gives me and my athelets so that I can help them improve on all levels of thier fitness and nutrition needs.

Actually you hit on something that is quite important - that regardless of the supposed accuracy of the data - being able to evaluate ongoing with respect to holistic management is the key. So - you could just make up your own 'scale' as it were , and as long as you collect data from it, then evaluate against other benchmarks it would be actually pertinent data.

The database is for the BMI as well as collecting data so that they can improve on the calculations that the system use. Im not an expert on the technology behind these systems, nor do I claim to be. However I am able to use the data it gives me and my athelets so that I can help them improve on all levels of thier fitness and nutrition needs.

Yeah, as much as I love technology and all that, I do like to go off the radar to reset the brain, and this also counts for all this weight loss / performance stuff. Sometimes I like to see where I have got by just ripping my bike down the road and feeling inside my body and soul if I am truly able to give it the hammer. Then when I get home, if my fashionably tight suit has got ever so slightly looser, I am on the right track! :)

For me I would have to say Tanita scales - although even though they are a Japanese company you will need to import the medical/sports professional models in from over seas. I got mine shipped from the US.

Back
Top Bottom