What's new

Weekend Rides?

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
OK, so what mountains are we going to demolish this weekend? It's a three-day weekend, and Saturday's looking potentially rainy, so maybe Sunday or Monday are the best options at this point.

The snow will hopefully have melted by then. What's it gonna be? Yabitsu (via Odarumi Toge)? Jimba? Deepest Oku-Musashi? Somewhere else? Somewhere so insane that it's not even on the map?

Or will I be going Han-Solo...

Deej

:bike:

Will be attacking mountains, but on skis, and pointed in the wrong direction. Look forward to joining the next assault! Ben

Or will I be going Han-Solo...

Definitely not. I'm working on Sunday, but am available on Saturday and Monday. Jimba and Musashi might be snow-free, not sure about Yabitsu-toge. Any masochist hillclimb is fine. :)

Definitely not. I'm working on Sunday, but am available on Saturday and Monday. Jimba and Musashi might be snow-free, not sure about Yabitsu-toge. Any masochist hillclimb is fine. :)

That's the spirit! It's looking like I *might* be out of town on Saturday and Sunday, so Monday will probably be the best bet for me. We can firm up the details as the weekend approaches. But yeah, as long as the climb is strenuous enough to make my arms go numb, I'm down for it!

Will be attacking mountains, but on skis, and pointed in the wrong direction. Look forward to joining the next assault! Ben

Hi Ben. Have fun skiiing. I look forward to riding with you soon!

Deej

Depressed...

That's the spirit! It's looking like I *might* be out of town on Saturday and Sunday, so Monday will probably be the best bet for me. We can firm up the details as the weekend approaches. But yeah, as long as the climb is strenuous enough to make my arms go numb, I'm down for it!

Hi Ben. Have fun skiiing. I look forward to riding with you soon!

Deej

All this recent snow has put "white spots" in front of my eyes (literally)!
The snow we had last Sunday; 10cm in East-Tokyo; 30cm in Hachioji; and who knows how deep in the western mountains that are our usual training ground, has put quite a dampener on my motivation to ride:(

"Okutama-ko" is usually our first & best choice for a good climb this season - It's also one of the best gauges for those going in the Tour de Kusatsu, as it is roughly the same distance, and a little bit steeper which is great for training.
(*Side note: My fastest climb up to "Kazahari-toge" was 55 mins last year.
- Philip: 52 mins.
- AlanW: 51 mins (TCC's resident "King of the Hill":no1:).
But my time at the Kusatsu race was 48:06 - That's how good this road is for training!)

That said, training is in order!
But we should (at least try to) keep out of the snow & ice as much as possible - ie. Low elevations until at least March; So here are my suggestions - not in any particular order:

Tsukuba-san: In Ibaraki-ken, 80km north-east of Tokyo. The highest road elevation is only 400m (which should mean less snow), but nearly all of the roads going up it are quite steep - 6%-14% (on the right road). It's also possible to go up & over several times on different roads, criss-crossing back & forth all the way along.

Miura-hanto: We've done at least twice. It's more "hilly" than "mountainous", but it's a good course on nice roads that will still have the legs pumping.

Okutama-ko: Hopefully by March the roads will be clear of snow & ice.

Oo-toge (Big-Pass): This is the last & greatest of them all - Is a short 4km ride from Otsuki to the start, and then it's 8km up, Up, UP! to the first gate!
Once through the first gate, it's another 8km up, Up, UP! to the top. The average gradient is very close to 9% (maybe even more) - If you can do this one, Kusatsu will be a piece of cake.
(*Note: I've never timed myself from bottom to top, because I've never done it without stopping... But I'd love to try!)

As for the other courses that "Pucci" (mostly) came up with last year, and some other great rides that "Philip", "Christoph", "Thomas", "Mike" and many others have suggested in the past, they may have to wait until the warmer months.
Unfortunately, it has just been too "snowy" this year.

Failing all these suggestions, it might be time to get out the indoor-trainer, and put those old TDF videos on again.

Rubber down! Travis

What ever happened to global warming?

Hey Travis!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and providing info about possible rides. I hear you about the snow dampening your motivation. But I am trying to continue riding through the cold because, well, I'm addicted to cycling.

Here's a link to good post about cold-weather riding in the excellent blog Belgium Knee Warmers: http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2008/01/cold.html

The snow that is expected to fall on Saturday and Sunday will probably still be around on Monday in the higher places, so our climbing options will likely be limited. Nevertheless, I think I will head out west again on Monday and see what's out there.

Odarumi Toge (Takao) will almost certainly be snow-free. From there, I may do a Jimba repeat, or -- and this is more realistic -- roll down past Sagamiko, turn south onto Route 76, then loop back toward Tokyo on the Doshi Michi and north again on Route 518. There are plenty of smaller climbs south of Sagamiko that can offer a good workout and nice scenery. Or so I hear. :warau:

I've mapped the aforementioned "Sagamiko Loop": http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/103795

Deej

Hey guys - another option perhaps to add to Travis's list is mid-Boso (Chiba). There are no really long sustained climbs, and the max elevation won't get much over 200m, but on a 100km ride there'd be a lot of steep and challenging ups and downs (think intervals). The weather tends to be a bit milder on the peninsula too, compared to the mountains.

From Chiba Station it's 10 km to get out of the city, and then low-traffic rural roads for as long as you like; one ride I've grown to enjoy is climbing up the Yoro Gorge along routes 81 and 178 to Kurimata waterfall, about 60 kms or so south of Chiba in the middle of the peninsula.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/japan/千葉市/578405562

Hi Phil, that's where our fast guys went training about 2 weeks ago. About 1 or 2 degrees warmer than elsewhere and they can find enough hills to satisfy themselves as you said.

We planned an Okutama part 2 MTB ride tis weekend but cancelled it due to the snow falls.

As for Mt Tsukuba, I was listening to a science teacher at work today who likes hiking talk about all the snow and ice on Tsukuba recently and he had to put chains on his car even for there...

A south facing climb up and down may be dry but expect ice and snow everywhere else.

My mileage for the year so far is well behind last years pace... need to catch up....

Chiba . . .

I remember Alan and Naomi-san completed a ride in mid-Chiba last year (see link below):

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=312

We could connect this with Phil's ride to make a nice 170km out and back course??? Maybe next Saturday 2/16??? I have never ridden through Chiba but have driven through a few times to the beach. Looks great cycling :D

Just an idea!

Philip

PS - I can drive three bikes and riders out from Setagaya to the start point. Perhaps Christoph, Deej and myself.

Rock Me, Chibadeus

For the record, I am totally down for some Chiba action next weekend -- or at least in the near future. Philip, thanks for your kind offer. If we do go, gas is on me, bro!

It would be nice to see Phil and other "eastsiders" on their home turf.

And dang, I had a look at the satellite image of the Boso Peninsula, and the number of golf courses there verges on the obscene.

Deej

I remember Alan and Naomi-san completed a ride in mid-Chiba last year (see link below):

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=312

We could connect this with Phil's ride to make a nice 170km out and back course??? Maybe next Saturday 2/16??? I have never ridden through Chiba but have driven through a few times to the beach. Looks great cycling :D

Just an idea!

Philip

PS - I can drive three bikes and riders out from Setagaya to the start point. Perhaps Christoph, Deej and myself.

Hi guys, I'd be more than happy to host/guide a Boso Run from Chiba, Feb 16th (or 17th). Hm, maybe should start a new thread?

Chiba - bring it on !

I am definitely interested in this one - keep us posted. Would like to get out this weekend too, inc Mon, if anyone is doing anything.

Thanks Phil !!

Charles

Chiba Ride . . .

Travis is putting together a plan for Chiba. His ride organization skills are legendary so I suggest we wait for his proposal.

Philip

Organizer...

Combined effort!
It will be Phil's ride from Chiba as far as "Kurimata-taki" waterfalls.
Then, we'll be following in AlanW's tracks; from the ride he did with Naomi last year - brought to our attention by Philip.
I'm just doing the map, but "Phil" will be the leader most of the way, as it's in his neck of the woods!
Please wait for Phil to post a new thread to let us all know where to be & at what time... once the map is finished.
T

Am I right to assume that Chiba will take place *next weekend* (Feb.16th)? I am still up for a ride on Monday (Feb.11).

Weather forecast for Mon.:
JPMK02.gif

In case someone would like to join: I'll do a Arakawa quickie tomorrow Saturday. Weather conditions should be alright until afternoon.

Monday's still on...

Am I right to assume that Chiba will take place *next weekend* (Feb.16th)? I am still up for a ride on Monday (Feb.11).

Yes, Thomas, I think the Chiba ride is for next weekend.

As for Monday, Feb. 11, I'm still planning on riding. I linked to one ride possibility a couple posts ago. Another possibility is to head up toward Jimba, but then branch off toward Uenohara before reaching Wada Pass and head toward Tomin no Mori via the southern route. That could get snowy, though. I'll put up a map later today.

Deej

Possible route for monday

Another possibility is to head up toward Jimba, but then branch off toward Uenohara before reaching Wada Pass and head toward Tomin no Mori via the southern route. That could get snowy, though. I'll put up a map later today.

Here's one option. It doesn't go all the way to Tomin no Mori because of the possible snow there.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/103957

Deej

Yet another option for Monday

I was just perusing the November issue of Funride magazine and noticed an interesting route that they mapped out. It entails a lot of climbing and includes one section of road that's not on any maps I have (Kazahari Rindo -- anyone ever ride on it?).

Problem is, of course, it could be snowy and icy in the higher sections. But with the forecast calling for sun on Sunday, maybe the roads will be clear on Monday.

Here's the link to the route I'm calling the Funride 100: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/104175

If the weather is good, this is the route I would most prefer to take on Monday, because I'm masochistic that way.

We would meet up at Tamasuido-bashi, follow the Tamagawa to Haijima, then head for the hills, hitting Kazahari Pass, then ride south and nail Jimba, follow Jimba Kaido to the Minami Asagawa and ultimately merge back with the Tamagawa. Easy peasy.

Dou desuka? Thomas, Chazzer -- is this too ambitious?

Deej

Back
Top Bottom