What's new

Wednesday Ride

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
Well had my first ride on the road in 3 weeks today and loved every minute of it. I started using the indoor trainer last week, but had 2 complete weeks off, otherwise known as a transition. Hopefully it'll help my motivation and ability with the Okinawa race still 3.5 months away. Sure felt like a mutant today though, could hardly clip in at lights and just felt uncomfortable with cars and bikes all over the place until I got out to the mountains.

Anyway, to the point of this post. I'm planning on doing a moderately paced ride this Wednesday, nothing too challenging just yet, average speed around 25km/h upwards. A Tour de Christoph as it's known. R35 - R24 - R413.

I'll be at the Big Chilli at 9am if anyone's interested. No fixed gears, sorry.

Welcome back on the roads!

I'm still debating what to do this week. The weather seems rather unpredictable. I was hoping I could go away further, maybe even for two days, but don't want to do that when the risk of ending up in rain is high.

A long-winding way of saying I might join you. Where exactly is that Big Chilly?

Don't worry - only ride we (FG) have planned is around Nairiki. :p I promise if I see any derailleur rider on the road I will give way to at least 200m so as not to embarrass them with my presence.

I'll be at the Big Chilli at 9am if anyone's interested. No fixed gears, sorry.

Ludwig, it's at the junction of R517/518. You're company would be most appreciated, although it's not such a challenging ride for you.

GSAstuto, it has nothing to do with embarassment as you guys are hard core. I just want to ride with a group that can pretty much stay together at the same pace. It just makes things smoother and the ride quicker. In the mountains fixies are just slower than road bikes. I'm sure on the flats you'd kick my ass. Please understand and I hope I didn't offend you.

Thanks, got it. Will let you know tomorrow night.

We can add a twist to the ride - a pass which you probably didn't know exists and is a nice one.

Mike..... might be in on this one depending on baby sitting for daughter..... also my younger brother is here and will be buying a rode bike so he will also join us if ..... I can get a baby sitter.

Hi Mike!
I'll join you.
Moderate pace sounds good to me - I plan to hit Otoge on Friday morning, so won't be killing myself on Wednesday, I might even bail out earlier (by Akiyama onsen rindo).

I'm in in principle. The weather is just so volatile it is not worth spending money on a train ticket to get to some nice place for a ride and then just get wet and dirty.

The forecast for tomorrow is not great. Possibly a bit of rain in the morning, and then again in the late afternoon. Also very strong wind from the south (typhoon approaching!). So depending on how things look when I wake up, I might cycle out, take the train out or skip altogether. I will definitely e-mail both Mike and James (if he is in) to confirm my plan in the morning.

If anyone is planning to cycle either via One Kan - Hashimoto - Tsuiko or via Tamagawa - Asakawa - Otarumi, please let me know so we can arrange to meet.

Hi Mike!
I'll join you.
Moderate pace sounds good to me - I plan to hit Otoge on Friday morning, so won't be killing myself on Wednesday, I might even bail out earlier (by Akiyama onsen rindo).

Great to have you along also Sergey. So see you guys at 9am weather depending obviously. Check you PM's around 7am.

Ludwig,
I plan to ride via Takao/Odarumi.
We can meet at Koremasa brg. at 7.00 am tmr.

Sergei, see you at Koremasa, maybe a bit before 7am so we don't have to rush.

average speed around 25km/h upwards. A Tour de Christoph as it's known. R35 - R24 - R413.

And average speed downwards?;)

I would love to join again with better wheels and legs then last time. Just did Wada today and ran out of breath, gears (and self-esteem)
Once I'm able to switch into climbing mode at will, I'll be around...

Hoping for good weather tomorrow.

Thanks for a great ride today Ludwig and Sergey. We managed to mostly tempo it, but as always the Belarusian Bandit/ Flying Dog (Sergey/Mike) rivalry caused a few moments of madness in the heat:confused: Sergey you are flying mate, and well done on taking the honours over the biggest climb of the day, Douzaka Toge (1050m). I thought I had you in my grasp but you dug deep and pulled away again. I couldn't believe how quickly you disappeared after spotting my comeback just as you went round that corner! I managed to pull back a few points on small hills but it was definitely your day. Kudos to you buddy! You've now motivated me even more to get you next time:)

Ludwig, thanks for showing us that new road that cuts out Tsuru City. That really makes the ride nicer, especially as this is my favourite route.

After 3 weeks off the bike (1 of those was on the indoor trainer) I am certainly feeling the pain of a long ride now:(

See you soon out in the mountains.

p.s. Gunjira, looking forward to riding with you when you have your climbing legs buddy. I still remember well your grunts as we both struggled up Ashigara Toge early season. Classic!

Thanks, Mike and Sergei, for the great day out. I take pride in beating Sergei up Otarumi in the final sprint, but otherwise the extreme humidity today took its toll on my performance. I'm glad both of you were cruising only at "moderate speed" to save your energy, so I never fell behind too much.:)

Here is the GPS track for our ride:

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/kanto/629128152288716556

Our photo is in the gallery.

Mike, thanks for the report - it was a nice day in the mountains!
Looking forward to the next time - when you find some free time between your hellish indoor training sessions.
Ludwig, see you again!

Awesome

Mike..... might be in on this one depending on baby sitting for daughter..... also my younger brother is here and will be buying a rode bike so he will also join us if ..... I can get a baby sitter.

Sorry, For a guy that is not wrong very often, I had to get you!

ROAD

LOL

Its ok, my spelling is that of a grade schooler when I blog, I guess I'm just lazy on the CPU!

its what happens when you use an iphone to post on the forums.

Back
Top Bottom