What's new

Official Ride Wedding!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
TCC's first wedding!

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself to the members of TCC that I haven't yet met.

My name is Travis Jackson (Australian – born in Canberra; grew up in Newcastle & Sydney), and I've been riding a road-bike for about 5 years. This November, I'll have been in Japan for 9 years; and I've never ridden a bike in Australia.

I bought my very first bicycle for $150 (15,000 yen) from Cost-Co near Kaihin-Makuhari in April 2003. One of my best friends, "Simon" was into bikes, and first started talking to me about the Tour de France. I also had a student at the same time, "Mr. Sammori", who always liked to start his lessons by opening a cycling magazine.
With the pair of them (persistently) in my ear twice a week, it wasn't long before I made that initial purchase… "Buy a bike!", "Buy a bike!", "Buy a bike!", "Buy a bike!" That's what I had to deal with.

After spending over $500 (50,000 yen) streamlining my $150 piece-of-sh#t, I realized I should have bought a decent bike right from the start.
I still remember my first "long" ride with Simon; we rode a whole 25km to Odaiba… and my legs were fried!!! The final 13km limp home from Ryogoku took over 2 hours – on a route that now only takes 30 minutes.

Within 6 months of first purchasing that $150 MTB (unceremoniously christened "The Mule"), I'd upgraded to SPD clip-pedals, slick tyres, and had finally passed the "100km" milestone… I thought my thighs would spontaneously combust as I lay down on the grass beside the Edogawa Cycling Road, and I swore to myself that I would never "touch foot to pedal" ever again. (I learned a very big lesson about the wind that day!)

It was around then that my two "friends" – Simon & Mr. Sammori – began hounding me again… "Now, you have to buy a road-bike!" Mr. Sammori was even kind enough to call all his various (numerous) friends / owners of bike-shops to find me a frame in my size:
A 61cm "Mobius" steel frame, hand-built by Mr. Kurita, himself – The guy who built all the bikes for the Japanese Olympic Cycling Team in the early 80's.

I did several touring trips on that bike:
Tokyo – Kyoto; May 1st – May 5th, 2005 (560km in 4 ½ days)
Kyoto – Kyushu; April 26th – April 29th, 2006 (580km in 4 days).

Not long after I got back from that second trip though, "The Mobe" steel frame fractured along the seat-tube (just above the front-derailleur) due to metal fatigue – the frame was 15 years old by then.
I had no choice but to buy a new frame – a "Giant" that my current user-name stems from: "YellowGiant" – The bike isn't even yellow, but "Gun-Metal-Grey-Giant" just wouldn't work.
However, there are still enough "yellow bits" on the bike frame's paint scheme to get away with it, so…

I went on my very first TCC ride on November 3rd, 2006. The "Tour de Unagi II" ride.
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=176&highlight=unagi&page=6
It was "Ash" who first invited me – He's also a good friend of Simon (the guy who first introduced me to cycling).
It was on that ride that I first met Thomas & Sora-san – the creators of this "Tokyo Cycling Club" web-site.
It was also the day that I first met Nobuko. It was her first time on a TCC ride as well – Sora-san had invited her.
And now, a year and a half later, she is my "wife to be"!

WE'RE GETTING MARRIED!!!
The date is set for the 8th of August 2008 (or for analogically-challenged, 08/08/08).
It is the Friday before the Japanese national "Summer Vacation".

WEDDING INVITATION

During our time as members of TCC, both Nobu-chan & I have had the opportunity to meet a great many wonderful people; as well as conversing via this site with other members who haven't been able to make it on the rides.

Our wedding will be held at the Tokyo Baptist Church at 11:00am.
www.tokyobaptist.org

This will be the wedding church service only. But EVERYBODY is invited.

From 11:00 – 12:00: Full Christian Church Wedding Service.

From 12:00 – 1:00: There will be a short celebration outside of the church – The throwing of the bouquet, and photo opportunities etc.

From 1:30 – 3:30: We will have a lunch-time wedding reception
* The reception is limited to family, relatives and very close friends only. Unfortunately, all 60 seats are booked.

EVENING PARTY:

This is for those who can't make it to the 11:00 morning church wedding service;
A party for everybody who would like to celebrate with us!
* From 7pm – until the next morning (if necessary):

We will have the use of a weekly mansion (3LDK) around the "Shinagawa" area, with enough space to accommodate up to 100 people.
We will provide food & beverages for about those numbers – 2 kegs of beer, and food catering for a large group.
I imagine that a large number of guests will be cyclists, and I urge all those who are able to ride their bikes to the venue to DO SO! I will be on my bike as well (after the family-reception).
There will not only be guests from TCC, but some friends from the "Alpen-Marker" team as well. It's possible that the cyclists will outnumber the rest of the revellers.

WEDDING RACE

I don't think this has ever been done before, but I reckon it'll be fun…
Not far from the "weekly-mansion" is the "Shinagawa-futo" man-made island.
It's an even 4km loop, with very few traffic-lights and almost no traffic after a certain time of night.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/tokyo-(tokyo)-shinagawa/666345479916
If we assume that only 1/3 of the guests are cyclists (about 30 riders), and the remaining 2/3rds are just there to watch, we'll have our own spectator squad.
A 20km race – 5 laps of 4km – at an average of over 30km/h should all be over and done with in about 40 minutes. Short enough that the non-riders don't get bored, but long enough for the riders to feel they "deserve a beer" afterwards!
There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place, as well as some "random" prizes drawn by lottery for the middle and rear riders!

It's very difficult for me list all of you that I've ever ridden with:
Do I make the list starting from "most kilometers together"? That would Thomas!
Do I make the list starting from "most influential"? That would be Sora & Simon!
……

I suppose we'd best go in alphabetical order:

Aaron (Pucci)
AlanW
Arai-san
Ash
Ben (baustin)
Charles (Chazzer)
Christoph (cinelli)
Daan
Dave (Deej)
David (TrufflesEater)
Duncan
Elvis
Gilles
Greg (gmason)
Gus Duncan
Imai-san
Ken (Kwill)
Kunio (fatty athlete)
Lee (Richy152)
Marek (livestrong)
Mike
Milin (Alcyone)
Naoko (SHIBAGON)
Naomi
Newton
Nobu-chan – my fiancée
Okey-san
Pete
Peter (Edogawakikkoman)
Phil
Philip
Phil Harris
Sergey (kpykc)
Sarah
Sha (Freeride39)
Shinobu
Simon (kiwisimon)
Sora-san
SteveT
Taro-san
Thierry (Terry)
Thomas
Todor (Trad)
TOM
Walter
Yasuhiro
Yoko-san (queenbee)

I'd never really thought about the numbers until I finished making this list…
But that's over 40 people from the simple act of riding a bicycle – and meeting those with the same hobby.

As much as I'd like everyone listed above to take part in our wedding celebrations, some of the people above will be unable to attend – due to the simple fact that they are no longer in the country:

AlanW & Naomi: Your presence will be greatly missed by all!
Alcyone & Sarah: We only rode together once; Hope all is well where you are!
Greg (gmason): How's that British weather treating you? Big THANKS for still keeping in touch, and reading the reports!
Newton: I hope the "Felt" is still rolling well in the humidity of Brazil!
Rubber down, buddy! T

SO…
This is an open invitation to everyone!
If you are free on the morning of Friday August 8, 2008, please come to see the wedding service at Tokyo Baptist Church.
And if you are free that evening, please come (ride your bikes) to Shinagawa, and join in the "Wedding Race" and enjoy the festivities afterwards – Remember: The next day is a Saturday, so you have no excuse!

I will post details of the Shinagawa-night-party-race as arrangements become clearer!

Travis & Nobu

Congratulations!

Wow, great news and congratulations to both of you! You know it's a happy match when you can both share a passion for such an absorbing hobby. Of all the things I love about cycling, I think its ability to bring people together is my favorite...no matter how different our backgrounds and "civilian" lives might be, you never run out of cycling stuff to talk about :)

And I can't believe you've both been around TCC since "only" late 2006... You seem to have been veteran regulars since long before I began lurking here, and your posts, ride reports and photos were part of the reason I signed up and joined the great rides you organize.

Anyhoo, please count me in as an almost definite (pending work) for the party. Kegs of beer and a nighttime race around the streets of Tokyo with fellow TCC-ers are just too enticing to pass up. Looking forward to seeing everyone down there...

Congrats again to you both,

Phil "In It to Win It" G

Congratulations 2

Hi Nobuko-san & Travis,

What a moving post. Full of happiness. Excellent! Nobuko-san, you have clearly captured Travis' heart. Just as well - I thought he was going to marry that damn bicycle :D

Sincerely,

Philip

Tour De Kekkonshiki?
Nobuko-san & Travis...great news.
Sounds like the perfect wedding. Will try to get down from Nagano for it.
Will there be a Tour De Bucks night ride?

I am in!!

Well, of course I'll be there!!! Of all the strange coincidences, I am very glad to have been the one to have invited Travis that day, and could never have imagined the consequences!:D

Congratulations to you both, and every happiness!

Put me down for the race of course!!! And the beer!

Ash

Congrats!!

Yellow G & Nobuko,

Congratulations!! After such a stirring story (I had to wipe away tears ... several times), I'll make sure to be there with bells on!

To the both of you, hooray, hooray hooray!!!

Genghis,
aka Duncan

Congratulations to the both of you.

The open invitation is very generous... and no spiking the punch with acetone ya hear! :)

Congratulations!

It`s a bit far in the future to know my work schedule, but I`ll plan on being there.

Omedetoooooo!

This is a great news. Travis, you are quite a story teller. I always enjoy reading your reports. you will keep telling your new story with Nobu san in the future. Nobu san, Yokattane! I am sure you can control(?) him:). You are such kind of person.

I blocked 08/08/08 and am looking forward meeting you both.

Minoru Arai

Nice one

Hi Travis. What a great idea! Have blocked out the evening in my diary and will be attending unless our baby arrives a week (or more) early. Congratulations and look forward to catching up soon, I hope. Ben (writing from Dublin!)

謹んで参加させていただきます。:p :D
おめでとうっ!

Congratulations, Travis and Nobu-san!

I wish you all the luck and hapiness, and, of course, tailwind for your family life!!! :D

I will try to be there for the night beer racing party :cool:

Hope to see you soon!

The big day has finally come!

Congratulations to both of you. I may be in Canada at that time but if I'm not I will def be there.

Congratulations!

Travis and Nobu-san,
Congratulations to both of you!
Looks like you have a great celebration planned, and rightly so. Wish we could be there.

All the best for your future together :love::love:

Alan & Naomi-san

What a happy story!:) Congratulations to you and best wishes to the bride. Hope you have a beauful wedding and a wonderful marriage.

おめでとう!

トラさん、ノブさん、

おめでとうございます!
明るく楽しい、幸せな家庭を築いてください。

祝祝祝祝祝ーーーっ!

ご成婚、おめでとうございますーーー!
そして、結婚しても遊んでちょーーー:bike::bike:

Congratulations!

おめでとうございます!
楽しく幸せな自転車家族を築いてくださいね:)

おめでとうございます!

WEDDING RACE

I don't think this has ever been done before, but I reckon it'll be fun…
Not far from the "weekly-mansion" is the "Shinagawa-futo" man-made island.
It's an even 4km loop, with very few traffic-lights and almost no traffic after a certain time of night. If we assume that only 1/3 of the guests are cyclists (about 30 riders), and the remaining 2/3rds are just there to watch, we'll have our own spectator squad. A 20km race – 5 laps of 4km – at an average of over 30km/h should all be over and done with in about 40 minutes. Short enough that the non-riders don't get bored, but long enough for the riders to feel they "deserve a beer" afterwards! There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place, as well as some "random" prizes drawn by lottery for the middle and rear riders!

Nobu-san and Travis, "official" congratulations to both of you! The first TCC wedding! :)

As far as the "wedding race" is concerned, I reckon we have to make it an "official one" too. :D

Back
Top Bottom