What's new

Ride Wed 20th May - Okutama BOOB ride

Train arrives at 8:33 so it will take time to get down stairs but yeah, basically just meet outside the station and be ready to go around 8:45. We can make a stop at a conbini along the way which is the start of the TCC boob segment. Can pick up anything we need there.

Ok see you tomorrow morning (if it's still pouring rain or something in the morning we'll probably pull the plug - sorry!)

Look forward to meeting you.

(Will be catching the train at 6am from Chiba - makuhari and tsudanuma). Plan to ride back through Tokyo after.

Is Ome line really going to Musashi-Itsukaichi from Tachikawa? I can not find that stop on that line...

Is Ome line really going to Musashi-Itsukaichi from Tachikawa? I can not find that stop on that line...

Sorry if I'm wrong, not an expert on trains but from the Ome line, I think you can transfer on tot the Itsukaichi line at Hajima?

Musashi Itsukaichi is the last stop (maybe 5 or 6 stations away)

Sorry if I'm wrong, not an expert on trains but from the Ome line, I think you can transfer on tot the Itsukaichi line at Hajima?

Musashi Itsukaichi is the last stop (maybe 5 or 6 stations away)

On the map from Tachikawa, it doesn't look very far you might want to ride there?

@Chrisisism, you're right that Musashiitsukaichi isn't on Ome line, but the 8:04 from Tachikawa station on Ome line bound for Musashiitsukaichi (武蔵五日市行) continues on as a Musashiitsukaichi Line train to the final station.

Google Maps works very well for me for train connections.

Enjoy the ride tomorrow!

I made the train at tachikawa. Little crowded this morning.

Thanks wexford, Chrisisim, and Ben for a great ride! As one might suspect, can't really go wrong with boobs, can you.

With yet another typhoon doing the dirty off in the south pacific once again, we were lucky enough to find a window of blue skies, light, lively air and clear roads up the Okutama way today. Well, nice air at least when I wasn't filling it with the essence of Marlboro I guess.

Selfies to tell the story:

Early in the morning, the train is BORING.

20150519_215543543_iOS.jpg

20150519_215543543_iOS.jpg

We met up at the station and said, let's do this bad shit. Other people said "gaijin daaa!"

20150519_235146528_iOS.jpg

First time at the summit, I said "Gaijin daa."20150520_013906076_iOS.jpg

Going for boob #2, can't never stop at one boob, can we.

20150520_022441861_iOS.jpg

Luck was not on wexford's side, stopped by a LEGO construction dude on the way up the first boob, then a mangled chain drop on the second, while chasing his way to a certain PR. Here he looks for help from the gods of the forest.

-Let me sing you the song of my people-

20150520_032919548_iOS.jpg

It effing worked??

20150520_032926884_iOS.jpg

Might have been this guy.

20150520_032933508_iOS.jpg

Climbing, climbing, climbing. This is what I saw, no not because I was out in front.

20150520_024407766_iOS.jpg

In the end, put my nose down and reeled in Ben near the top. We traded attacks and it was a roaring battle for the ages but in the end I spent my last match on a sprint up the second last incline (thinking it was the last) and Ben prevailed. Thanks Ben for making the day extra fun!

20150520_032936695_iOS.jpg

Now we know where Ben gets his fighting spirit. Yes, keeping it classy for reals.

20150520_044936346_iOS.jpg

OK so anyways it was a really great day with great company in the end despite some mishaps and a horrible awful train ride and legs that were not going to carry me home to Chiba in the end.

Great meeting you wexford and Chrisisim look forward to doing it again!

Stop smoking immediately. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Not often I get to take a day off work and head out to the mountains on a weekday. Fantastic day for it too. Blue skies if a little humid. The ride started pretty good. @Chrisisism did some good work with me heading out. Before we got to the main climb, I started to get a cramp in my left calf. Hate that. Tried to stretch it for a while on the bike but let the boys off up the road as I took the first part easy to work it out. Finally felt ok and was climbing pretty ok when a silly jedi night stopped me where they were doing some work. I could just see Ben up ahead too. Silly man (not Ben). When I got going again, I got another big cramp in my right calf and I just told that one to shut up and it went away too soon after. Not sure how long I was stopped (maybe a minute?) but I still got a PR to tomin by a few minutes.

Descending, @Chrisisism took off like a bullet with @armmewitharmony and I was left wondering how to descend again after so long on my trainer just going straight. Made it down in one piece and stopped for some drinks beyond the bridge. Coming back up I was feeling pretty good but @Chrisisism was stronger so I let him go to concentrate better on my own pace. Ben hung out for a bit and then I was alone. Coming to the top there are some up and down rollers so I was doing my best to utilize the flats and the down hills. That was my downfall as about 1km from the top, I was in the big ring but a lowish rear cog. Up hill coming, don't lose momentum and get into the small chain ring asap. I also changed down 2 gears to avoid my legs over spinning at the same time and the chain came off on the inside but I guess I was pedaling hard at the time and by the time I stopped my legs it had wrapped itself pretty good (twice) around my bottom bracket.

I was having a good look at how I'd unravel things when the other two lads flew by and I shouted out dropped chain. They didn't stop to give me their bikes though and kept going. Selfish b@stards :) Later we discovered that they were afraid of a 2 minute penalty. Anyway, messed around with the bike a bit, turned it upside down, tried hard to get the wheel off to give me more chain slack. Once off, I was able to get the quick chain link out of the mess and somewhere half accessible so next thing was to open it. Just couldn't do it. @Chrisisism saved me here. Chain was quite bent in this area so that's why it was so hard to get off. Once the chain was separated, it all came untangled easily and we just put on the chain again (as look would have it in the right direction (never checked)). I could cycle the bike but it hopped in and out of gears every time the bent part of the chain went through the rear derailleur. No fun going up, but there was only about 1km left to climb and then a long descent back to the station.

The way back was great fun though. I kept up on the descent this time and then we did up and over at a pretty reasonable pace back with my chain flicking about every pedal stroke. So happy to have made it home. What a great day out though and great to meet some new folks.

As @armmewitharmony was mostly snapping us. I got a few of him also. Will post in a bit.

Someone got dressed in the dark surely?
image.jpg
Head back over.
image.jpg
Over the shoulder. One of the few that actually worked.
image.jpg
Such hairy fashion
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom