What's new

Ride Wed 20th May - Okutama BOOB ride

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
The wife seems to be heading off to meet her family and show off my sons new walking skills so it seems I'm free Tue 19th and Wed 20th. I'm definitely taking time off work to make use of this!!!

I swore last year that I wouldn't do this ride again. I've since forgotten the pain so I need a reminder. I'll either go Tue or Wed depending on interest and the weather. Right now its flexible. I'll update this thread as the weather unfolds and post a map.

Anyone know if Otsuki 4.5 is clear? I think someone said something about Matsuhime not being clear but I can't find that post now. I guess another version might be to do what @Musashi13 and @Heath did last week and take Tomin instead of Matsuhime but that would be a wee bit longer.

NOTE: I've updated this to be the BOOB ride instead. See map etc further down the thread.

Last edited:
One tunnel on the Otsuki side of Matsuhime is closed. See the post by @kubatyszko on May 3.

It's a shame, as I was also looking at attempting this route again some time this year. I saw one of my all time favourite views on Matsuhime when I first rode Otsuki 4.5 with Tim and Eric:

IMG_5265.JPG

Ah... that was the post. Thanks Joe. Damn. Don't want to go all the way out there only to be turned back by construction workers. Hmmm. I guess the Tomin version of the ride is calling.
@kubatyszko - what's your take on that tunnel?

Looks familiar.
View attachment 11045

Next time I go to Henmuroyama rindō, I fully intend to take some WD40 and a monkey wrench to remove the most awkwardest scaffolding pipe at the side of the gate. If I remember. And if I can be arsed.

Don't think it's that one Mike. This particular one is north of Tsukui Lake at the end of the Columbian drug lord road taking a "short cut" to route 20. It was pretty horrid on 23C and I couldn't ride much. Land slides, deep leaves hiding rocks with not much of a barrier on my left to make a mistake. The first gate was easy to pass on the right side, next one I had to actually hold on to the gate with one hand, bike in the other and go around the edge out over a drop off. Not so pleasant but I wasn't going to be stopped at that point. Third gate had some space. Actually, not sure where Henmuroyama Rindo is. But I'm sure its a better place to ride than this one.

Don't think it's that one Mike. This particular one is north of Tsukui Lake at the end of the Columbian drug lord road taking a "short cut" to route 20.
Sorry to confuse your poor head. I posted a photo of the other side of the same gate that's in your photo, but wrote about a different one. I agree that r515 is quite an adventure on skinny tyres.

Henmuroyama is off the north end of Yabitsu. You will like it. km 20 - 33 below.

SafariSnap001.png

Weather is looking iffy for Tuesday at least so current ride is still looking like Wednesday. Will probably do Tomin and then Yanagizawa and maybe back again instead of Otsuki 4.5. Still not made up my mind but I haven't done Tomin in ages either so that is quite attractive and hassle free. Should know what I am doing by Monday me thinks.

I've decided to swtich to doing the Boob ride instead. Probably ride home also.

Leaving from Musashiitsukaichi Station (only 1 exit).
Train Info: Arrives 8:33am (I'll be at front of train boarding at Nakano at 7:24, changing at Tachikawa at 7:58 to Ome line which leaves at 8:04)
Ride Depart time: 8:45 am on Wednesday 20th from the station.

Let me know if you are interested in joining.

Last edited:
Hello,
I would like to join. I can be there 8.33 taking the JR Itsukaichi line. Is that the train you go with or do you arrive earlier?

Hello,
I would like to join. I can be there 8.33 taking the JR Itsukaichi line. Is that the train you go with or do you arrive earlier?

Perfect. Looking forward to meeting you. I'll adjust my previous post shortly with the meeting time and your train details. I actually haven't looked at the train schedules yet and had pulled 8:30 out of my head. Was planning to do a bit more research tonight. I'll be wearing a TCC jersey as I have yet to ride it into the ground so I should be easy to spot.

I updated the details a little. My plan is to get on the 7:24 train at Nakano station. Arrive Tachikawa at 7:58, change to Ome line leaving at 8:04 and arrive 8:33. I'll get on at the front of the train in Nakano. Weather looks like it will be good for tomorrow. Should be a nice little spin.

Back
Top Bottom