What's new

Ride Wed 14th or Thu 15th

Sibreen

Maximum Pace
Jul 23, 2010
Anybody up for some big climbs on either of these days (preferably Wednesday but perhaps even possibly Friday)?

Inspired by Nizhniynovgorod's ride (link here) I was thinking of heading into Nagano Pref. I haven't decided the ins and outs yet, but I was thinking of something like this.

Climbs would be wait at the top, and the long descents would be wait at the bottom (I'm a pretty crap descender). There would be longish breaks at the top of every climb, and a couple of others when we feel like it, too.

Anyone interested?
Anyone have any other/better ideas?

Just realised I don't have a bike bag.
I'll have to phone Takasaki station tomo to see if they have lockers I can store a 100yen bag and some masking tape in.

Nice ride, and the weather forecast for Mount Shirane looks good too. The earlier the start the better, and earliest I can get to Takasaki by train is about 7am. Will have to confirm first whether I can get the evening off on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday but otherwise I am definitely up for it.

In a pinch, an acceptable bike bag can probably be fashioned from a couple of bin bags and some tape.

Nice ride, and the weather forecast for Mount Shirane looks good too. The earlier the start the better, and earliest I can get to Takasaki by train is about 7am. Will have to confirm first whether I can get the evening off on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday but otherwise I am definitely up for it.

In a pinch, an acceptable bike bag can probably be fashioned from a couple of bin bags and some tape.
Superb!

Earliest i can get to Takasaki is 6.50. And, they do have three sets of coin lockers at the station, so all is good on that front, too (might take a rucksack, but not sure what I'd put in it).

Hopefully it'll be quite a bit cooler in Nagano what with the mountains and the altitude.

Let me know what day, if any, suits.

Mark and I will be riding out to Nagano from Ogawamachi this Thursday (15th). Anyone is welcome to join us for part or all of the ride if they are interested. Let me know and I can post more details. We'll be taking THIS route.

Er, dunno.
You said let me know and I'll post more details, so I thought there was some other stuff.

I'll see what GrantT is gonna do (may be that he can't take Thursday off) before I decide.
Would also have to think about a bike bag, but could probably cobble something together with stuff from a conbini, as GrantT suggested.

How long do you envisage the ride taking?

It'll be an all day ride to be sure! We'll be finishing and staying at my in-law's home. If you joined us, you're ride would be a little shorter depending on you where you want to finish. Chino on the Chuo Line would potentially be a good option.

Ah, I see.
I was wondering why the route led past Chino and Suwa.

Ok, I'll have a think about it and let you know!

So tempted - would be a Rinko ride for me.... how early start are you talking?

And how do you plan to get to Ogawamachi? That could be the deal breaker for me starting time vs. being able to get there at the designated time.

So tempted - would be a Rinko ride for me.... how early start are you talking?

And how do you plan to get to Ogawamachi? That could be the deal breaker for me starting time vs. being able to get there at the designated time.
I'll be taking an express train out from Ikebukuro. Still haven't decided on the time yet. There are express trains from there every 15 minutes starting at 5:30am. What would be the earliest you could make it to Ikebukuro? Or, if you were really into it, you could potentially stay at my place Wednesday night.

Mark and I will be riding out to Nagano from Ogawamachi this Thursday (15th). Anyone is welcome to join us for part or all of the ride if they are interested. Let me know and I can post more details. We'll be taking THIS route.

BTW, as I don't have the time to do a proper post about my last weekend rides (and the logs are locked within my Garmin forever), here's the promised info about Budo toge. It's long.

Seriously though, it's the second time I rode it and I still haven't been able to ride it start to finish. The problem is that by the time you get there, your leg aren't fresh anymore and the damn road just slogs on. Better leave something in the tank! I almost find it a bit boring, but nothing to complain about in term of road surface. Lumpy in places, but almost no potholes at all and it was recently swept, so no stones either. Good condition up and down. Not a lot of refreshments, so you want to stock up at the shop right where it forks of rt299. I think another km up or so, there was a house with a running tap in front, but I didn't stop, so I don't know if its drinking water. There is a pipe with water on the side of the road another 5k up, which is wonderful to cool your head in the heat.

Enjoy!

BTW, as I don't have the time to do a proper post about my last weekend rides (and the logs are locked within my Garmin forever), here's the promised info about Budo toge. It's long.

Seriously though, it's the second time I rode it and I still haven't been able to ride it start to finish. The problem is that by the time you get there, your leg aren't fresh anymore and the damn road just slogs on. Better leave something in the tank! I almost find it a bit boring, but nothing to complain about in term of road surface. Lumpy in places, but almost no potholes at all and it was recently swept, so no stones either. Good condition up and down. Not a lot of refreshments, so you want to stock up at the shop right where it forks of rt299. I think another km up or so, there was a house with a running tap in front, but I didn't stop, so I don't know if its drinking water. There is a pipe with water on the side of the road another 5k up, which is wonderful to cool your head in the heat.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the report, Gunnar! :)

Hey Yamabushi,
GrantT and I would like to join you on this ride!
I'd be meeting you somewhere north of Chichibu Station and taking the train back from Chino. GrantT will let you know his plans in due course.

Have you decided on an approx start time, yet?
And, are you taking anything over and above the usual (apart from more money)? I was thinking two inner tubes instead of one but, beyond that, not sure what I'd need.

Yep!
Hi Pete, I can get to Ikebukuro to join you on an express train at any time starting from 5:30am. If all things go to plan I'll be taking the train back from Chino as well.

Yes, I am planning on the 5:30am Tojo Line Express Train from Ikebukuro. That train arrives in Ogawamachi at 6:40am, so we can probably be on our bikes and under way by 7am. John, I will try to be in the very last car of the train in the very back as usual. Let's meet on the train there.

Now Sibreen as far as meeting you... we'll be stopping at a 7-11 on Route #299 outside of Chichibu located HERE. That is about the 44.75km mark for us. I estimate we'll be there at somewhere in the 8:40-9am region. What do you think about that as a meeting point?

As for anything special... I always carry two tubes, so nothing special from my perspective. Additionally, even though it quite hot out, I'll probably bring a super light descending jacket just in case it get cooler at altitude.

Back
Top Bottom