Help Weather in the west following snow/ice

msen

Speeding Up
Aug 27, 2011
Tokyo
Hey guys, its my first post here and my first time riding the winter in the west of Tokyo. I've been following for a while now and hope to join you one day on one your rides. I'm wondering if you've got any advice on weather in the west following this weeks snow. Tomin no mori, Yabitsu etc would be too dangerous to ride ? Generally whats the weather like up there at this time of year ? My question is more, where can i ride rather than how cold is it/what should i wear etc. Thanks very much.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
The road conditions may vary - but alot of the smaller roads have significant patches of snow and ice chunks. The main highways will be cleared unless it snows the day or 2 preceeding. As for wear - the wind chill is the killer! Yesterday my hands were so frozen I could barely grasp the bars. Luckily I was riding fixed gear , so brakes and shifting was required. And that's with Pearl Izumi 0 rated gloves (worthless crap, if you ask me). Torso was fine, and so was head and feet not bad either:

1) Legs: Betones + wool /synth long johns + Pear Izumi 3D shorts + Girodana Merino Wool tights. Plus liberal embro on knee area.

2) Feet: Bicycle Line 'super wool' socks + SDP Shimano with tinfoil insole + Neoprene booty + Hot kaido pad (top) And again - liberal embro on the feet.

3) Upper: Heat Tech longsleeve, Descent winter jersey, Crane Cycling Jacket, Nylon windstopper Gilet.

4) Head / Face: Wool kneck warmer, Wool hat, Helmet

5) Hands: Pearl Izumi Crapass Winter Gloves. (worthless) + Hot Kaido (saviors)

For LSD type riding - this was fine except for the hands and later in the day, the feet. But the Hot Kaido's could be swapped in for new. And higher effort I could de-layer easily if required.

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
Tokyo - Minato-ku
There is probably ice and/or snow on the higher roads and also less traveled roads along northern facing slopes. I guess after 4-5 days of dry weather, the main road surfaces are mostly okay, and at least if you are riding in daylight you should be able to see most of the hazards in advance.

West of town, I suggest you stick to the Sagami-ko area -- the road between Route 20 and Doshimichi, for example, or a short loop over the hill west of Takao (Otarumi) and then back via Tsukui-ko area.

Or there is always Miura Peninsula ... which is awful until you get South of Yokosuka, where it is quite nice. Tolerable this time of year on really cold days, when the alternatives are not good.

msen

Speeding Up
Aug 27, 2011
Tokyo
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll look to the Miura route, maybe safer considering the week we've had here in Tokyo. Even today there is plenty of ice along Route 20 through the centre of the city. If anybody is doing a loop next Saturday I'd be keen to join. Thanks again.