What's new

Wearing bicycle shorts and cleaning them

Pisces

Cruising
Dec 15, 2007
when wearing bicycle shorts with padding should i wear with or without underwear? I wore with underwear last week and it was very uncomfortable while riding it. I am having a little bit skin irritation down there as well.

Also, any suggestion how to clean it? I only worry about padding.

thanks,
chris

Nope, no underwear when wearing padded bicycle shorts.
The crotch area will become one big irritated mess if you do!!

Enjoy your riding!:bike:

Cleaning: Machine wash, as delicate or synthetic. Don't go above 40 degrees. Don't use bleaches or harsh chemicals. And wash 'em after every ride.

Special underwear will work fine. Wearing anything containing cotton or otherwise absorbing water will be horrible.

1) No underwear, very 'fred' or 'fredette'.
2) Wash gentle with minimal soap - use a net so your kit doesn't get destroyed in the spin cycle. Or;
3) Simply soak for 20min in the sink with a capful of Woolite.
4) For extra disinfection - add a little distilled vinegar (200ml) to the wash or if you want even a little more then use some spirits (200ml) like Spiritus or high proof Vodka or Grappa in the rinse water.
5) Avoid the use of chlorine bleach cause it will destroy the elastic band material.
6) Do this as a ritual everytime you ride. Drink some of the Grappa while you are at it - it's a great digestivo for post ride recovery.

Being a `fred`, I always wear underwear but like Ludwig says, use special underwear. I have high praise for these which I posted in the `jock rash thread` - excellent wicking, and they never feel damp or sticky. Highly recommend the Craft stuff.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-boxer-with-mesh/
craft-cool-mesh-bxr-11-med.jpg

They also do a padded version which you can use to double up for extra padding or to use when riding with normal shorts.

Being a `fred`, I always wear underwear but like Ludwig says, use special underwear. I have high praise for these which I posted in the `jock rash thread` - excellent wicking, and they never feel damp or sticky. Highly recommend the Craft stuff.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-boxer-with-mesh/
craft-cool-mesh-bxr-11-med.jpg

They also do a padded version which you can use to double up for extra padding or to use when riding with normal shorts.

I've kind of got a wiggle order ready, and I guess I might try those. Could you describe what fit/size to go for? Is a little bigger/smaller better? Do these shorts, along with regular padded cycling shorts, provide a good slip zone? (maybe less chamois cream needed)

Also, my pearl 3D neo shorts just go in the washer with other stuff, and the normal shot of laundry soap. Jerseys get a net bag to keep them from snagging or getting tied up with other stuff.

I sometimes use my cycling shorts as underwear on commute days... :eek::warau:

Have to wash it well at the end of the day!!!

I wear undershorts when not using cycling specific wear. I like the Betones and the Uniqlo the best for price / performance. (nod to Promechanic on this)

http://store.uniqlo.com/jp/store/feature/inner_m/trunks/index.jsp#fC11

Compare to any cycling 'wear' - they are same or better -and less than 1000yen!

Betones are double the price (1990 yen) and aside from the printing - I can't really tell functional difference from Uniqlo

http://betones-store.com/

But for best performance - its still suggested to wear your kit next to your skin. More layers = more friction and insulation. If your kit doesn't wick / absorb / pad properly - then you are wearing the wrong stuff. But for casual riding and reduce the need to wash everytime - for sure an under wear is a slightly better option - however - you still need to wash THOSE everytime. So - what's the difference? It takes me less than 10min to wash my kit - I just soak it while I'm showering. When I'm done - so is it. Wring it and hang it. Done. If I've been riding in the rain and muck - I just step into the shower kit and all. Then strip it there and wash it up. Even conserves a bit of water. Then toss it in the vinegar soak while I dry off.

I must wear undies so just ordered some from Uniqlo, looks like they have mesh and regular ones in the seamless.

I'll sit on em and see what happens.

Really can't understand why anyone would want to wear anything under thier cycle shorts. They are designed to be worn without and it seems that some of your issues maybe coming from either wearing cheap shorts with poor padding or worn out shorts where the padding has seperated from the shorts but is still stitched in place.

Another thing to think about is saddle positioning and height, many sores are actually friction burns caused by the constant rub and you may need extra padding in the shorts or a narrower saddle profile.

Right on James! Why would you wear anything under cycling shorts? You'd never wear undies under your trunks down the pool (although I have memories of jumping into swimming pools in my pyjamas to pick up rubber bricks). I can imagine wearing something over cycling shorts, if you were late for a wedding or something...

It's taken me years to work this out, and of course this is only what I've found to work best for me, but after some nasty issues with saddle sores, the secrets to a sore-free bum are:

1. Correct saddle height and position
2. Assos cycling shorts
3. Selle Italia Gel Flow saddle
4. Oronine cream before each and every ride
5. Good personal hygeine and laundry habits
6. A nice warm bath every night.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Andy,

Its a well know fact that Pro's have actually removed the padding from ASSOS shorts to put in thier sposored bibs. It happened so much that ASSOS now provides the padding to other manufacturers.

Also for those of you who are using ordinary cycle shorts do yourself a favor and throw them in the bin, go out and treat yourself to a set of "Bib Shorts". If money is an issue then I strongly suggest the brand "dhb" sold exclusively on Wiggle.

I strongly recommend these for riders with delicate botties, bloody exceptional quality - Italian fabrics and all the latest in technology of the padding and seams.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-pro-cycling-bib-short/

Remember the more you ride the thicker the padding the better.

Can't stand bibshorts, personally. An extra layer = extra heat (mmmm, just what I need), and the straps always bunch up over my non he-man shoulders and chafe at my chest. Horrible.

That DHB stuff is getting good reviews everywhere. Probably the best value around at the moment. Pearl Izumi stuff is good too & substantially cheaper in Japan than elsewhere.

Alan by the power of greyskull I know the feeling as I don't have massive shoulders either but have also learnt to go one size down. (you gget the compression benifits too)

Most bibs meshes are now made of fast wicking materials that remove the need to wear a base layer so actually they give you another advantage over standard kit.

Back
Top Bottom