What's new

Wear a helmet! Cycling death last Sunday

Freeride39

Peloton Leader
May 28, 2006
Yes it's not just a fashion statement but it will protect your dome just in case you have an unforeseen accident. On Sunday a Yokota AB, Japanese worker was killed cycling on a descent somewhere in the mountains here on the westside of Tokyo. I'm not sure but I think the older guy told me Akiruno? They found him at 12am (midnight), he slammed head 1st into a guard-rail on the descent. The Japanese police said that he was cycling the descent at night with bad lighting and lost control of the bike. He sustained a traumatic head injury and his brain started swell, plus there was probably no immediate help at the time of accident. Once again, he was not wearing a safety helmet. It was a suprise too me because we just talked about how his new compact crank was helping him a lot on the climbs. The bike he was riding was a Bianchi and it was still operational after the accident and true. Please everyone, always wear that helmet, it might save your life one day!

Yeah, I used to only wear for off-road, but in June returning from some mtbing a pedestrain knocked me off, into the path of the bus he was running to catch! Luckily the bus-driver was paying attention and stopped before making a pancake outta me. The first part of my body to hit the asphalt was my head/helmet. Since then I always ride with a lid on (except when mamachariing). :eek:

Everyone should also take note that despite the lack of agression on Japanese roads, deaths and serious injuries are surprisingly high in this country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road-traffic_safety

Anyway I just got my XC bike fixed, so I'm gonna head for the hills and bust it up again.

Forgot to write the obvious thing first

...and sorry about your friend/acquaintance of course.

Hey, guys.
mostro_01.jpg

I bought a good helmet recently too. It's OGK Mostro, it weights just 190g!

Lots of people die, I know. Sorry to hear that. But people just don't pay enough attention to the road situation. Many people (even car and scooter drivers!) type messages on their keitais, cyclists ride in the wrong line, blow red lights and so on.

Take care.

This is not a slam on Japanese people or the beautiful country, but they have made me a better and more cautious cyclist. You got the young kids on mama charinko's riding and text messaging on cell phones not paying attention to pedestrians or other cycllists, old people riding across the entire lane with head down, passing runners that jump into your path, the animal walkers who don't think that a 30 foot dog line is affecting anybody else, kids on training wheel bikes with parents who have minimal rider supervision, school kids riding across the entire path because they need to conversate and ride secondly, riders/drivers just shooting through blind corners, mama's on charinko's with a kid up front and in back but can barefully keep their balance because of the extra weight, truck drivers on cell trying to run you in the roadside curbs, scooter riders who don't pay attention, and the worse of them all....the damn taxi drivers trying to save 50 yen off a fare. Thank you Japan for making me a cautious rider...LOL! In the United States, it seems like people are paying more attention, so you don't get too many close calls unless you are the idiot. I wear a helmet not for myself, but for those that roll aimlessly through this country who don't care about anybody but themselves.

Ride or Die!

Yeah, I used to only wear for off-road, but in June returning from some mtbing a pedestrain knocked me off, into the path of the bus he was running to catch! Luckily the bus-driver was paying attention and stopped before making a pancake outta me. The first part of my body to hit the asphalt was my head/helmet. Since then I always ride with a lid on (except when mamachariing). :eek:

Everyone should also take note that despite the lack of agression on Japanese roads, deaths and serious injuries are surprisingly high in this country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road-traffic_safety

Anyway I just got my XC bike fixed, so I'm gonna head for the hills and bust it up again.

This is not a slam on Japanese people or the beautiful country, but they have made me a better and more cautious cyclist. You got the young kids on mama charinko's riding and text messaging on cell phones not paying attention to pedestrians or other cycllists, old people riding across the entire lane with head down, passing runners that jump into your path, the animal walkers who don't think that a 30 foot dog line is affecting anybody else, kids on training wheel bikes with parents who have minimal rider supervision, school kids riding across the entire path because they need to conversate and ride secondly, riders/drivers just shooting through blind corners, mama's on charinko's with a kid up front and in back but can barefully keep their balance because of the extra weight, truck drivers on cell trying to run you in the roadside curbs, scooter riders who don't pay attention, and the worse of them all....the damn taxi drivers trying to save 50 yen off a fare. Thank you Japan for making me a cautious rider...LOL! In the United States, it seems like people are paying more attention, so you don't get too many close calls unless you are the idiot. I wear a helmet not for myself, but for those that roll aimlessly through this country who don't care about anybody but themselves.

Too much emotions, really. Just be careful. Watch the road and slow down when you see idiots. And never ever ride on sidewalks, mamacharis will kill you.

I was never hit by car here in Japan, I had close calls, but it's nothing. Be careful, try to think 2 blocks ahead of you or so. It all comes with the experience.

Also, about close calls. Never ride TOO close to the curb, this way you're just encouraging car drivers to pass you, and if it's tight then you have problems. And also there's many kinds of junk winding up near the curb, you can get punctures very easy if you ride there.

Take care.

Hey, guys.
mostro_01.jpg

I bought a good helmet recently too. It's OGK Mostro, it weights just 190g!

Lots of people die, I know. Sorry to hear that. But people just don't pay enough attention to the road situation. Many people (even car and scooter drivers!) type messages on their keitais, cyclists ride in the wrong line, blow red lights and so on.

Take care.

Tadashi! Man, glad to see that helmet on your head Bro!
I agree, people should take a little bit of the road sometimes, keeps the cars from coming too close as you say.

Shay, very sorry to hear this news, I can understand how upset you are.

Keep safe brothers!

Ash

I just spent almost ichi-man for a piece of foam and felt a bit stupid for it. :( But after reading the posts here, I feel better. :)

I had two bad accidents last year and thankfully, I was wearing helmets on both occasions. I cracked both helmets on impact, and thankfully not my melon.

Back
Top Bottom