What's new

Watch out there's duty about...

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
Over the 18mths I've bought quite a number of things from the big UK internet cycle shops (particular the one that features on last years TCC kit - I think you know who I mean) including clothes, bikes and bike bits . Some get hit with consumption tax when they get here (i.e. 5%) which I have no problem paying to the nice courier men. However today when my first order from Evans (again UK internet shopping) arrived - socks, jersey and cycling bib - I found it had been hit with consumption tax + import duty + a tax handling charge from the courier.
All in all it didn't add more than 12% to the total cost so not fretting, but wanted to pass on, as it seems the combination of Evans and their choice of courier (DHL) attracts more costs than I'd seen before.
Anyone else been hit with all three charges?

I have been hit before. It is just one of those things you have to deal with. I would say it is a bit random and depends on the inspector, what you bought (not everything has duty applied uniformally) and how it was described on the documentation. If the country of origin of the original goods is somewhere like Italy then expect to get hit. Italian clothing = designer goods. In my experience the duty is worse if it comes through Japan Post (I.e was originally sent by the national carrier of the country it came from), for me DHL have always been ok at calculating in my favour. I always allow about 15%for potential duties, then I am safe. Otherwise head to your LBS and buy it there.

I can't remember now where I found this out but if your order of clothing comes to more than 17,000JPY you will get stung no matter what the company you order from or the courier they choose to use.

Was your order over 17k?

DHL, USPS and other similar companies always get hit HARD - always go EMS - its the cheapest option on all accounts! :D

DHL, USPS and other similar companies always get hit HARD - always go EMS - its the cheapest option on all accounts! :D
Interestingly enough I just experienced the exact opposite.

I was expecting to hit hard when my new wheel set arrived via DHL, I had 30,000 yen in my pocket, and the guy just asked for my signature and closed the door! I took my wheels and snuck away like just stole them. No duty! I was shocked.

On the other hand I paid just over 3,000 yen for my Assos bibs and jersey. The duty form said I paid 30% levy from Switzerland.

The moral, just be prepared for another random experience in Japan.

On the other hand I paid just over 3,000 yen for my Assos bibs and jersey. The duty form said I paid 30% levy from Switzerland.

The moral, just be prepared for another random experience in Japan.
Assos bibs and jersey for ¥10,000?
Where are you shopping?

I guess I just plain got screwed then ;)
The consumption tax of 5% isn't a straight 5%! Sorry I can't remember the exact numbers, but it's a big % of a small amount and a small % of the rest which adds up to 5%.
I'm pretty sure bicycle parts have no import duty.

I recall something about 5% on 60% of (value of the bike + freight + insurance) when we discussed this previously, so effectively it's 3%.

It all depends on the inspector - some things can be hit very hard SIDI cycling shoes are a classic example and you will be it for the following:

• Sports Shoes
  • Made in Italy
  • Carbon sole
  • Leather Upper
  • Synthetics
  • Buckle clasp
  • Velcro
All of those will increase the % ammount you pay for those items. You should see the list that Champion System has to go through when importing thier products in to Japan as materials are made in Italy and then fabricated in Asia, many of the the coatings are made else where, especailly on the winter technical gear and the taxation is a real nightmare for the accounts team.

But like I said it all comes down to how closely the inspectors look - DHL, USPS and other private firms are very rigerous in the inspection of the items purchased anything coming through EMS mostly gets a token import duty.

clothing comes to more than 17,000JPY you will get stung
I'm pretty sure bicycle parts have no import duty
Very interesting - previous orders have been, mixed cycling parts & clothing, Or just cycle parts (always with an full breakdown attached to the box but top title was "cycle parts").

For the package in my OP, above, the top label was "clothing - synthetic materials" with the breakdown beneath (and it was over 17k) . I wonder if they are often applying additional duty (rather than consumption tax) based on the top label, hence you stand a better chance if it's a mixed bike order?
....Although this is Japan so maybe I shouldnt try to apply logic:D

The invoice on the package should be as detailed as possible in order for the customs people to levy the right duty without checking the contents. If your order did not include over 17k of clothing and was a mixed order then in reality it is the fault of the sender and they would be liable for the cost you incurred. I'd wager it would be more hassle than it's worth to claim such a thing but they should be made aware of the inconvenience they are causing people with their sloppy workmanshipo_O

Consumption tax in Japan (currently) is 5% . No guessing. So what's the issue here? If you get snagged by import duties - so be it! http://www.customs.go.jp/english/tariff/2013_4/index.htm Personal tariffs fall under either 'unaccompanied goods' , 'gifts' or 'merchandise allowances'. And vary according to the exporting country.

Back
Top Bottom