What's new

Tech want to change color of my bike

Eddie

Warming-Up
May 13, 2014
is there anyway to change my bike's frame/fork color without the hassle of spray painting? ie vinyl wrap,etc?

and If I'm going to spray paint it, anyone know where can this be done in tokyo and how much?

You want to change everything or just some highlights? What material is the frame and fork and what is your budget? Are you fussy about the color or will anything do? So many options but it depends on what you want to do.

everything, Aluminium, prefer white or black.

u know this can be done? and how much?

Thanks

You could have it anodized, a lot of custom car shops can do it for you and last time I asked it was 10,000 JPY for a frame (you'll need to strip it down and clean it)

For a proper powder coating if you go through a bike store it can range between 10,000 and 25,000 depending on colours and finish - but again a custom car store can probably do it cheaper - but again you'll need to strip it, clean it and have it ready for them to spray.

@FarEast <------- He stole my thunder:(, prep it and ask a car shop to run it through next time they are doing a black or white car. I got a frame done at my local panel shop in Saitama for a slab of beer for each of the three guys. Total cost. about 12000 yen. But if you are doing the prep you can just as easily do the job with 4 cans of spray paint. Saves you money and you can get creative.

ah thanks guys but i really don't want want to strip down my bike and would still like to keep the original color in case I need to sell it in the future. maybe someone in tokyo sell big decals that can wrap around the frame?

Go to your local hardware store and get some thick roles of black or white electrical tape (3mm width) then wrap your frame in that - it's going to look shit, but unless you are prepared to strip the frame down and pay out for a company to coat the frame and fork in hydro-transfer sheets then this is really the only option open to your requirements.

You could use the car wrap type stickers but hiding the seams would be almost impossible since bikes don't have removable panels.

Either get it professionally painted or don't bother. I've never heard of any decals you can get for a bike. Thy would have to be made specifically for your frame model and frame size. Even if you were able to buy some, the number of bubbles and creases you would get under them would make it look almost as bad as doing what fareast suggested with electrical tape.
What frame do you have btw?

Coloured eyeglasses?

Go to your nearest 100 yen shop.
Buy 2 tins of your desired color paint and a brush. ¥324
Using brush cover everything, bars ,tires, chain the whole lot with the paint!
Result..... One bad ass bike!

Those two indeed have a good reputation. Another good one is z-works near the arakawa.

You can buy single colour vinyl wrap film on Amazon.jp
Search for "カッティング用シート 型番:pS"

Edit : that d*mned face is meant to be : and a P, but I can't figure out how to stop it automatically putting in :p.
Here's a link to that same search too

hi eddie , it is not too difficult to wrap,I have been done it several time when I was in Indonesia. but you need to spare time to practise first, make some 'test wrap' before do the real thing.
1. find the right vinyl sticker.
I am using 3M brand, and not all type can wrap well, in bicycle frame. pick the thin one. I am only using two colors, black doff and carbon coated pattern (ccp) , they are thin and the ccp is ideal to hide connection/slice between wrap joint.

2. make pattern/mold first, using other paper (drawing paper will do). you can try to wrap a rectangle top tube, with the pape than give mark with pencil where to cut the paper, until you sure all the tubes are well covered, include the seam.

3. trace the pattern to the sticker. cut the vinyl sticker following the pattern, but give extra space about 5-10mm wider, to anticipate miscalculation. it is easy to cut the excess later if any.

4. clean the frame, make sure no dirt or oil trace left. wipe with alcohol if necessary.

5. it is better to heaten the frame a little bit,( using cigarette lighter) to the part where you want to put the sticker or just put in under sun for awhile

6. put the sticker.but, before you peel, make sure it is on the right place. peel the sticker from 'under side', while you push and rub the color side from upside, make sure no air trapped between stickers and the frame.

after one part sticker adhered. heat the sticker slightly with cigarette lighter. rub with soft cloth. the adhesive will melt and the sticker will stick permanently. if you find any bubbles of air trapped under the sticker layer, poke it with needle, then heat the surface and rub again. the 'bubble dome' will disappear.

7. put the rest of the stickers. you might find some part not covered properly, it is because some sticker not wide enough, or misplaced or because heat expand. simply just cover with more sticker. if you choose the carbon coated pattern it will be easy to wrap it out.

it will be difficult to wrap around bottom bracket and drop outs, if you only need some different look, give some variation color to the top tube-head tube-downtube, or you may just put some fluorescent line to the fork and seatstays.

Back
Top Bottom