What's new

Wakayama-Yokohama

Phil Harris

Speeding Up
Nov 9, 2006
After my contract expires (most likely end of April), I`m planning on taking a bike trip. My first plan was taking a ferry to Wakayama and then biking to Yokohama along the coast (dropping by Ise Shrine on the way) - perhaps a week or so.

Today, I pondered a far more ambitious endeavor: why not bike around the entire island of Honshu?!! :eek: :eek:uch:

My Wife has relatives in Maizuru and Akita (possible place to stay) and I have friends in Misawa with whom I can stay. Looking at Google Earth, I would trim off a few coastal areas such as south Wakayama Ken (majorly mountainous), Izu (done it), and perhaps the Misawa-Yokohama bit (done that as well). I would take the train or a plane home from Misawa.

I would reduce expense through staying at inexpensive minshuku or business hotels followed by a night on a beach or camp ground with only the most rudimentory shelter - even with rainy season :rain:.

I think such a trek could be accomplished in under two months at a fair pace. Won`t be up to such an adventure at the age of 60 - may as well do it sooner.

Any ideas? Particularly welcome are pointers on cheap places to stay and routes. Included in my plan would be the Inland Sea to Shimonoseki followed by a coastal route along the Sea of Japan to Akita, then over to Misawa are vague ideas for a route. I`d probably exclude the Noto, Tsugaru, and Shimokita Hanto (I`ve biked the Shimokita Hanto). This trek is at the "feasability study" phase.

Obtaining Wife-Chama approval might be the most difficult aspect of such a trip, but certainly not impossible.

What say you...am I whacked out or what?

本州一周

Wife-Chama approves!
(Edit: She was thinking about the Wakayama-Yokohama run. Honshu Lap is still under negotiation):eek:

I browsed a Zen Nippon Mapple today on the way home. I will probably take a ferry across the bay to avoid Nagoya and include the south Wakayama coastal route (seems isolated and sceneic). I figure a month to month and a half for the entire trip.:bike:

I`d rather not assault Hakone Toge from east to west on Route 1 :eek:uch: , but will unless any one has insight to another route to Numazu/Tsuruga Bay. The Izu Peninsula has some roads crossing from the east to the west just south of Manazuru - has anyone taken those roads?

Thinking about a departure date in June.

Ambitious!

Hey Phil,
Long time no...
How's things?
Honshu lap? Do you mean following the whole coast-line right around? On the Pacific side, and then the Nihon-kai side as well? If so, at least two months!
You will have such a sore arse, buddy:confused:

The only reason I'm doing this 6-day "Tohoku" ride is to finish off "Honshu" once and for all. So far, I've done:
Tokyo to Kyoto - 2005, May 1 -5. (560km)
Kyoto to Shimonoseki - 2006, April 29 - May 2. (580km)
Kyushu - You've read about. (980km)
After the Tohoku ride, I'll only have Hokkaido & Shikoku to go.

Bottom line is; I'm not silly enough to try and do the whole lot in ONE trip!

Anyway, for the routes you asked about... I never went over Hakone! I rode down the coast to Atami, and then up towards Atami-toge before turning left through a long tunnel that comes out on the Mishima side (Route 11).
It's quite a bit steeper than Hakone, but not as long - only 4km - and for the record, I walked the last kilometer up to the tunnel.
As for accommodation: my first port of call was always the KOBAN nearest the main train station - "Sumimasen! kono hen ni wa business-hotel nanka arimasuka?" Depending on where you're at, most of the police boxes have a photocopied list of hotel-names, prices and maps of where they are, readily on hand! That's why I've made no reservations for the next trip - There's always a room! \4,000 - \6,500!

Hope some of this helps!
Rubber down, Phil.
Travis

Bottom line is; I'm not silly enough to try and do the whole lot in ONE trip!
Travis

Whereas I am silly enough to try and do the whole lot in one trip, the Minister of Finance and Landlord :)pray: Wife-Chama) seems to have taken your position:eek:

Looks like the Wakayama-Yokohama run is a go and I won`t need to sleep with the crickets, mukade and other nocturnal critters to offset costs.:clap:

The budget should include a few cold one`s on the Wakayama-Yokohama run as well :beer1:

Some time in the not-so-distant future, I want to bike the Sea of Japan coast.:bike:

I usually make no reservations in advance as well. During the bike trek from Misawa to Yokohama I had reserved in advance a room at a minshuku in Miyako famous for its seafood dinner, but other nights I started looking for a place to stay after six to seven hours biking.

Can I rename this thread Wakayama-Yokohama?

Go buddy!

Hey Phil,
I re-named the thread for you! Hope you don't mind.
Good luck in your travels!
Will be waiting for the photos and details later! Travis

Hi Phil-san,

Wife-Chama approves!
Congratulation!:clap:
(Edit: She was thinking about the Wakayama-Yokohama run. Honshu Lap is still under negotiation):eek:
:warau: :warau: :warau:

I browsed a Zen Nippon Mapple today on the way home. I will probably take a ferry across the bay to avoid Nagoya and include the south Wakayama coastal route (seems isolated and sceneic). I figure a month to month and a half for the entire trip.:bike:

I`d rather not assault Hakone Toge from east to west on Route 1 :eek:uch: , but will unless any one has insight to another route to Numazu/Tsuruga Bay. The Izu Peninsula has some roads crossing from the east to the west just south of Manazuru - has anyone taken those roads?

Thinking about a departure date in June.
I never did the other route besides Hakone (Route 1), but I heard it is harder than Hakone (it means steep). But you already did middle of Izu Peninsula, so it will be no problem for you.:)

がんばれ~:weight:

Making Preps

Tent.jpg

I will bring this tent along on my trip and camp out on beaches and river banks. This will reduce the cost of the trip; I`ll stay at minshukus and ryokan perhaps every other day or so. I might even stay at temples if I ask nicely.

Using bungee cord and/or string, I can support the tent by tying it to trees or something else. I can even park the bike inside as a stancheon, or use it like a sleeping bag. The rigid supports for the tent (holding in the photo) will therefore not be necessary making the tent more portable.

Pretty clever eh?:cool:

The Bike

Bike.jpg

I haven`t determined a precise departure date as of yet, (later part of May or early June) but I have planned a route:

I`ll embark the Ocean East 9 (オーシャアン 東九 フェリ) from Tokyo to Tokushima in Shikoku, then the Nankai (南海 フェリ) for Wakayama.

The coastal route looks interesting around the Kii Peninsula (紀伊 半島) via routes 42/260 to Shima City (志摩 市). At Toba, after checking out Ise Shrine, I`ll get on the Ise Wan Ferry for 伊良湖 and follow the coastal route to Omae Zaki (御前 崎). This part looks pretty flat.

Along the way, plenty of rivers look interesting to explore: Oi, Kumano (大井、 熊野) - campsites and onsens abound it appears.

I`ll follow Suruga Bay up to Fuji City, then head inland along route 139/138 and do a 2/3rds lap around Fuji-San seeing the five lakes (my sister-in-law`s husband suggested this last night).

At lake Yamanaka (山中湖), I will take route 413 through Tanzawa to Aikawa City (愛川市) and vist my sister-in-law and her husband prior to returning to Yokohama.

A bit of an ambitious trip, but I`ve got the time on my hands, so what the heck! :thumb: The tent will make it financially viable. It appears the tent won`t be much trouble strapped to the top of the handle bars. I am thinking of purchasing an additional cargo pack for the front of the bike (rather not have a back pack).

If anyone is interested in joining up for part of the trip, let me know; we might be able to coordinate a schedule.:bike3:

Bike.jpg

I haven`t determined a precise departure date as of yet, (later part of May or early June) but I have planned a route:

I`ll embark the Ocean East 9 (オーシャアン 東九 フェリ) from Tokyo to Tokushima in Shikoku, then the Nankai (南海 フェリ) for Wakayama.

The coastal route looks interesting around the Kii Peninsula (紀伊 半島) via routes 42/260 to Shima City (志摩 市). At Toba, after checking out Ise Shrine, I`ll get on the Ise Wan Ferry for 伊良湖 and follow the coastal route to Omae Zaki (御前 崎). This part looks pretty flat.

Along the way, plenty of rivers look interesting to explore: Oi, Kumano (大井、 熊野) - campsites and onsens abound it appears.

I`ll follow Suruga Bay up to Fuji City, then head inland along route 139/138 and do a 2/3rds lap around Fuji-San seeing the five lakes (my sister-in-law`s husband suggested this last night).

At lake Yamanaka (山中湖), I will take route 413 through Tanzawa to Aikawa City (愛川市) and vist my sister-in-law and her husband prior to returning to Yokohama.

A bit of an ambitious trip, but I`ve got the time on my hands, so what the heck! :thumb: The tent will make it financially viable. It appears the tent won`t be much trouble strapped to the top of the handle bars. I am thinking of purchasing an additional cargo pack for the front of the bike (rather not have a back pack).

If anyone is interested in joining up for part of the trip, let me know; we might be able to coordinate a schedule.:bike3:

hi Phil! Long time no see!

Yeah, I would like to join if possible, but my schedule is highly restricted at the moment due to millions of classes. But I would like to see you again and ride even a day if possible. I will let you know after you pst the sched.

The bike looks good! Can you get your hands on the tops?

Ash

The Tent and Bike

hi Phil! Long time no see!
Yeah, I would like to join if possible, but my schedule is highly restricted at the moment due to millions of classes. But I would like to see you again and ride even a day if possible. I will let you know after you pst the sched.
The bike looks good! Can you get your hands on the tops?
Ash

The tent resting on the tops might prove problematic as anyone knows during a long ride one shifts hand positions frequently. The tent will be securely fastened so I can rest hands on top, though reaction time reaching for brake handles will be reduced.
Bike.jpg

You can see the bulk has been reduced (having eliminated the tent struts), and it weighs less (refering to this photo:
Prior_to_Start.jpg

I may end up shifting it to the rear on top of the cargo pack as I did with the other configuration prior to the Misawa-Yokohama trek, or it may get takubin`d like on the Misawa-Yokohama trek. Depending on weather, I might bike down to Enoshima with this configuration and camp on a beach as a sort of trial run.

Looks like my departure date will be May 14th. If I get a chance, I`ll post progress from an internet cafe. Hamamatsu city should have some.

Might be able to meet up with someone near Fuji city, lake Yamanoko, or the final leg from Aikawa to Yokohama.
:bike: :bike3:

Hmmm. The Bike and Tent....sound like a good pub name?:beer1:

Good Luck !

Looks good Phil - certainly minimalist !

Have fun

Chazzer

Departure Date Shift

It appears my previous employers want me to work for 10 additional days this month, so I must shift my departure date to 21 May.:)

I have driven about a bit with the tent on the top of the handle and experienced no problems, but I won`t be flying down hill with my hands on the tops!:(

Phil, I would definitely put that tent on the back rack, not wrapped around the frame like that. You will be brushing against it all the way.

Let me know your progress and exactly where you are. I you can send me your keitai, that would be even better. My number is 090-8514-0852.

cheers and the best of luck mate! Sounds like a great adventure.

Ash

The Bike and Tent

Bike.jpg

This is the initial configuration I intent to employ - won`t be brushing against.

It may become annoying and I anticipate, like the experience from Fudai some time ago, to be most uncomfortable, therefore, the tent will likely get takubin`d or, more likely, chakubarai`d home!:)

Tentative Itinerary

Planning on a 21 May departure:

Day 1: Yokohama to Tokyo オーシャン東九 フェリ terminal; embark for Tokushima.

Day 2: Arrive Tokushima (about 1330) check out east Shikoku.

Day 3: Embark 南海フェリ for Wakayama and bike to Shirahama 白浜 on the Kii Peninsula 紀伊半島.

Day 4: Shirahama to Taiji Cho 太地町

Day 5: Taiji to Kii Nagashima 紀伊長島 after riding some distance up the Kumano river 熊野川

Day 6: Kii Nagashima to Shima 志摩

Day 7: Shima to Ise 伊勢 - will check out Ise shrine

Day 8: Ise to Toba 鳥羽 - embark Ise wan ferry to Irago 伊良湖 on Atsumi Hanto 渥美半島 and proceed to Hamamatsu 浜松

Day 9: Hamamatsu to Fuji city 富士市

Day 10: Proceed to Lake Motosuko 本栖湖

Day 11: Motosuko to Takeno Moto 竹之本

Day 12: Take No Moto to Aikawa 愛川

Day 13: Return Yokohama:beer1:

Probably the toughest part will be the the 2/3rds lap around Fuji and the run to Aikawa. I will climb to at least 1000m above sea-level from Suruga Bay, :( but I should be in pretty good shape by that time:) . This schedule is tentative from which I will likely deviate depending on what is encountered along the way and to what degree BSBF is a problem. My intention is to do sight-seeing at a fair pace and not attempt any speed/distance records - 100kms per day or less a probable objective.

Won`t mind having company for any phase of the trek:bike3:

Phil seems sensible if we discuss my potential joining on this thread rather than in my 2nd Introduction.

Been looking at my map and your itinery. The Shirahama to Ise section looks potentially doable for me in terms of not taking me away from family for too long. Also current fitness levels will probably only permit about 3 consecutive full-on cycling days.

Just gotta wait till I have a few job offers on the table till I can conceive of broaching this one with the wife, especially as she had to wait a month in Japan for me to arrive (I came overland via Russia and China), to summarise; my Brownie point quota is at an all-time low. :(

Phil seems sensible if we discuss my potential joining on this thread rather than in my 2nd Introduction.

Been looking at my map and your itinery. The Shirahama to Ise section looks potentially doable for me in terms of not taking me away from family for too long. Also current fitness levels will probably only permit about 3 consecutive full-on cycling days.

Just gotta wait till I have a few job offers on the table till I can conceive of broaching this one with the wife, especially as she had to wait a month in Japan for me to arrive (I came overland via Russia and China), to summarise; my Brownie point quota is at an all-time low. :(

Understood; my point standing increased a bit with the work extension, but will diminish rapidly once I finish up and commence the trek:bike: :rolleyes:

My departure date might move forward a few days depending on what day is my last on the extension. As stated previously, I won`t be on the road trying to set speed-distance records.

Did you spend a month traveling through Russia and China?

Did you spend a month traveling through Russia and China?

Actually I was only on the road for three weeks, after spending two weeks disposing or our effects in the UK.

After leaving Western Europe I only really saw Moscow, Beijing and Shanghai though, everything else I saw was from the window of the train. Good fun cycling in Beijing, massive cycle lanes and super chaotic traffic. Next time I will stop in Mongolia and Lake Baikal. If I am allowed a next time that is. ;)

Zipangu

How long will you be staying in Japan?

I have found cycling about "Zipangu" to to most intriguing; you might lose interest in biking Mongolia and Lake Baikal.

Tell the wife this will be a Japan "Orientation Tour." :rolleyes:

Yeah "Japan Orientation" has a certain ring to it, also it`s the sort of concept "they" understand. Likely to be in Japan for three to five years this time, who knows at that sort of scale though? Right now Japan looks very attractive compared to the UK, May is usually very nice in this country, dunno how I will feel in the middle of winter with no central heating, or height of summer, when it is too hot to cycle.

Last time I lived in Japan (as a kid) the longest ride I did was probably around 20km. Which makes the Kobe and back jaunt I did today, at 128km, my longest ever in this country. Almost all on the flat, no luggage, yet I feel like death. Praise the Lord for Japanese baths and Yebisu. Av. speed around 22kph. Hope this doesn`t put you off having me along.

Back
Top Bottom