What's new

Wakayama Cycling, Video

Tsuga

Maximum Pace
Jan 17, 2023
Hello,

This may be more appropriate in the "Blog" department, but I decided to post it here. Recently I made a video for a contest being run by the teaching program I'm with here in Japan. It's not a popularity contest so I'm not asking for likes, comments or views. But, I thought since the video I made is about cycling in Japan I might as well share it here for anyone that may be interested. It's in English, but with Japanese subtitles (courtesy of my wife's coffee club friends).

When I lived in the US I made videos about the local gravel race scene as well as some other random bike / travel related stuff. Since moving to Japan my wife's videos ended up being more popular and she was more motivated, so I kind of stopped making them. Entering the contest brought back some motivation so maybe I'll create a few more.

I noted that you are now living in Ishikawa. 🙏 I hope you will share more videos, perhaps, in time, even some which might entice people to visit and support the Noto Peninsula.

I noted that you are now living in Ishikawa. 🙏 I hope you will share more videos, perhaps, in time, even some which might entice people to visit and support the Noto Peninsula.
We've done some riding up there, it's a beautiful area. Back in November we were involved in a project to promote cycling tours in Noto. And our first year in Japan we went and rode the perimeter of the peninsula. My wife made some videos of that if you're curious. Obviously it's not a place to come for tourism right now, but I hope in the future tourism will be able to help people rebuild their lives there.

I watched the Kii Peninsula and Kanazawa to Matsumoto videos and think they are great. Amazed by some of the local knowledge you guys impart along the journey. Even though I've lived in Japan 33yrs I found myself saying "f..k I didn't know that!" several times. These are invaluable resources and will watch more and check out your podcast site too. Kudos to your wife!

@Tsuga I'm puzzled that you're not eating dinner/breakfast where you stay--that you actually go out to look for food instead?

I watched the Kii Peninsula and Kanazawa to Matsumoto videos and think they are great. Amazed by some of the local knowledge you guys impart along the journey. Even though I've lived in Japan 33yrs I found myself saying "f..k I didn't know that!" several times. These are invaluable resources and will watch more and check out your podcast site too. Kudos to your wife!
Haha, I passed the message along, she was happy to hear it. Glad that you enjoyed the videos! We have a lot of fun researching and planning trips. Both in terms of the route and general information about where we're going.

@Tsuga I'm puzzled that you're not eating dinner/breakfast where you stay--that you actually go out to look for food instead?

Hmmm, It depends on the place that we're staying. I'd say a majority of the places we stay don't offer a meal service for either breakfast or dinner. And even if they do it's a bit of a mixed bag. A ryokan may offer dinner as an add on, but sometimes considering the cost (both time & money) we'd prefer to check in and go walk around the area and have dinner out. Of course if it's remote, we'll opt for the meal out of convenience. When we stayed in Tsumago-juku I wish there was a meal service... but there wasn't. Or sometimes the experience is just too good to pass up on, like one dinner we had on Miyajima.

If we're staying in a business hotel, they might have breakfast, but it may not start until after we already want to leave. It may be cheaper and more convenient to go to a convenience store in the morning as we ride out of town.

Hello,

This may be more appropriate in the "Blog" department, but I decided to post it here. Recently I made a video for a contest being run by the teaching program I'm with here in Japan. It's not a popularity contest so I'm not asking for likes, comments or views. But, I thought since the video I made is about cycling in Japan I might as well share it here for anyone that may be interested. It's in English, but with Japanese subtitles (courtesy of my wife's coffee club friends).

When I lived in the US I made videos about the local gravel race scene as well as some other random bike / travel related stuff. Since moving to Japan my wife's videos ended up being more popular and she was more motivated, so I kind of stopped making them. Entering the contest brought back some motivation so maybe I'll create a few more.

Hey thanks for posting.
Funny thing is I've been a recent viewer of your wife's cycling videos after they popped up in a search. Love the rides you have both been doing and great job on the editing of the trips. I film a heap then get lazy with editing, hence only 414 subscribers on my channel.

Keen to check out more of Japan cycling, sadly wife doesn't share my hobby except for an electric bike down to shops, lunch and around town.

Hey thanks for posting.
Funny thing is I've been a recent viewer of your wife's cycling videos after they popped up in a search. Love the rides you have both been doing and great job on the editing of the trips. I film a heap then get lazy with editing, hence only 414 subscribers on my channel.

Keen to check out more of Japan cycling, sadly wife doesn't share my hobby except for an electric bike down to shops, lunch and around town.
Cool! I'm the same with filming and editing. When I was racing regularly in the US I had a lot of fun making recaps. I came to Japan with the intent to create more videos... and then just never did. Annie was more motivated than me, so she started using our cameras. I'll let her know about your channel and we'll take a look at it.

At least you're able to share a bit of cycling with your wife! Could be worse. I do feel very fortunate to have met Annie in college through racing. I appreciate that we have an understanding of each other's needs (and eccentricities) in the sport.

Back
Top Bottom