What's new

Review Wahoo TICKR Run

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Fed up with my Garmin HRM (3 years old? soft type) bailing on me, I decided to put down and get a new HRM. Researched a little and settled on the "Wahoo TICKR Run" one. Decided on this because it was dual protocol ANT+ and Bluetooth so would work with my garmin devices, TrainerRoad and also with my phone when I went running. Also liked the idea of cadence and the extra info that comes with the Run version and thought maybe I could learn something about how I run and make small improvements.

Usual stuff like pairing it is easy. set and forget.

The design of the strap itself is very good I think. At first it seems a little weird as the garmin strap is hooked off to the side where as the wahoo strap is joined together in the middle by the device itself. This leaves the sensor pads on each end of the strap so when you are washing it, it is actually easier to wash. It also gives you a little feedback in terms of small blinky lights on the device to see that everything is working, batteries good etc.

I actually use the strap these days with some electrode gel and its pretty flawless so far in returning my HRM data unless I forget to press record on my iphone or something silly. You can actually program a setting too on the wahoo fitness app so that when you tap the HRM it does something for you. By default, it is skip a song and I haven't played with this feature yet but I think you could double tap and get pace info read out to you and stuff like that. Maybe also to have it cut laps so that you could use it for interval training or farleks. Useful on runs perhaps. Will be trying that out soon.

The extra info you get with the Run version seems good. I'm not really fit enough yet to make use of it but plan on using it later to check my stride, how much I am moving up and down (instead of forward) and my cadence. Should be fun. So far very happy and no more frustrating funny readings mid-stint so far. I guess though my Garmin strap was getting old and was well used so that may have also solve the problem. But right now, definitely not regretting it for the extra Bluetooth connectivity that it gives me.

Where did you get it from?

I've given up on my Garmin straps now and go on feel rather than numbers. Not sure if I miss it or not. Certainly don't miss the erroneous data ;).

One desperate night on Amazon JP. Very lazy. You don't really need these things at all but it can be hard to fight the urge to need them :)

I also switched to Wahoo TICKR after the Garmin strap breaking down twice. The normal version was, surprisingly cheapest on apple web store.

I have been very pleased with it too.

I am a full Wahooligan now. I had a rough divorce from Garmin about 8 months ago and am never going back to that GPS tracking cheater.

Yeah, you can forget about Garmin HR straps. That is a classic case of planned obsolescence, then you try contacting them about it and they go out of their way to make it as hard as they can to honor any kind of warranty. All the while pretending that they have never heard of one having a problem before.
The only time I use one is on the indoor trainer. Much prefer riding without it in the real world.

@GrantT had a neat one that was on his arm, I was thinking of buying. Not sure if he still uses it or not?

It was a Schosche Rhythm Plus optical heart rate montor. Other than some high readings on descents it worked really well. No problems with sweat or cold.

Don't use it now because it died within warranty then the replacement stopped working soon after. Too lazy to send anothet one back.

Back
Top Bottom