What's new

Wada from the east

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
So I climbed Wada-toge from the east side today for the first time. I've attacked the hill from the west side countless times, but never from the east side. Many of you already know that the west approach is longer with an easier gradient (though still 12% in places), while the other side is shorter and steeper, with an average gradient of over 10%.

This hill is somewhat of a mecca for local cyclists looking to get in some climbing without having to ride too far into the mountains. For me, it's where I go if I don't have the time for a longer ride. You could say it's my "home" mountain.

At the base of the climb, I asked a cyclist where the "official" starting point was, as this is a famous time trial destination and it looked like he was preparing to have a go at it. He pointed to the bus stop area, so I walked my bike over and did a couple quick stretches and tried to prepare my mind for about 20 minutes of suffering. I watched as a different cyclist set his computer at zero and pedal off with a look of determination. About two minutes later, I also reset my computer and pushed off.

It started out relatively mild for the first, say, three-four hundred meters, then quickly got steep. I did a lot of climbing out of the saddle to muscle up the steeper parts and tried to keep a steady cadence on the flatter bits. I wasn't feeling 100% due to a head cold that has been plaguing my family for the past couple weeks (I've got an excuse for everything), but my legs felt strong. Still, I had difficulty establishing anything resembling a rhythm, and tried to just power my way up instead of smoothly spin. About 200 meters from the top, I spotted the guy who started before me. I tried to catch him, but he summited before I was able to dazzle and awe him with my astonishing climbing powers.

In the final 20 meters, I pressed my computer button to switch the display mode from "distance" to "time." It was under 17 minutes, but not by much. As I reached the finish line, my clock read 17:03. While I was happy to make it under 18 minutes, I was really hoping to go sub-17. So close. Dang, I was tempted to ride down and try it again, but I would certainly have been even slower.

So fellow TCCers, who is going to be the first to crack the 17-minute mark?

Deej

Good work Deej. As it was your first time I'm sure you'll easily go sub 17 on your second attempt. I've never tried it from the east side, although it sounds pretty tough with an average of 10%. My question is did you try the west side after that climb? My suspicion is that you couldn't help yourself:) How was your time today?

Finally...

Well done, Deej!
We, (meaning TOM, myself & everyone else who knows the east-face intimately) have been telling you to try it, for ages.
Once again, you have me beaten - My fastest time being 19min: 15secs.
Still, TOM has posted a thread with a guy who made it up in 14!!! Unbelievable!

>Mike: You too, have to try this climb!

3.17km, that still takes some of the better riders between 15-20 minutes to climb should tell the whole story... I personally, took over 30 minutes on my first attempt (mind you, I only had "23" at the back) - and had to walk the middle section.

My last attempt (and best time, written above), was still fiercely challenging - ie. Not a mountain for the squeamish!

Anyway, congrats to Deej for finally doing it!
T

Home ground

You could say it's my "home" mountain.

Deej

Good job Deej...yes, you're entitled now to call the area your home ground!

In 2006, I used to climb the Wada (from the East of course) almost every week of the entire year with only a few exceptions (typhoon, snow) and I thought of her as my "home mountain" too. For me, 18:18 will probably remain my best time ever even if I get top-notch equipment...some parts in me are getting rusty no matter how frequently I oil them.

...some parts in me are getting rusty no matter how frequently I oil them.

Tom,

these parts are not inside you. You are obviously talking about the hub of your new Spinenergy rear wheel. I know that they are close to your heart but they are mounted on your bike, not on your body.

Don't worry you are still doing fine and I looked in awe and you when I tried to ride fast yesterday in Gunma and you simply stayed ahead of me without making an effort at all ...Only on the first long hill after the downhill hair needle I had more mass momentum...

mob

What's this about Gumna MOB? Have you guys been getting in some secret Hotaka training?

Well done, Deej!
We ... have been telling you to try it, for ages.

Thanks Travis (great to hear from you!).

Yeah, I finally did it. My usual loop is just so perfect that I wasn't willing to try this until Saturday. I'll be back, but only when I feel capable of going sub-17 minutes. I'm too in love with the approach from the west.

3.17km, that still takes some of the better riders between 15-20 minutes to climb should tell the whole story...

Actually, I think it's 3.6km, which still means it's a tough climb.

For me, 18:18 will probably remain my best time ever even if I get top-notch equipment...some parts in me are getting rusty no matter how frequently I oil them.

Tom, after witnessing your abilities on our epic OMHSMK ride, I'm convinced you could go under 18:00!

My question is did you try the west side after that climb? My suspicion is that you couldn't help yourself

I thought about it, but I didn't have the time. Also, I've grown so fond of time trialling that it's hard to muster the enthusiasm for a climb unless I think I have a shot at setting a new personal best.

Deej

Don't worry

Mike....Gunma is a race organized by the JCRC :)

http://www.jcrc-net.jp/

On one of the pics you can see MOB nervously checking out his lead in the JCRC rankings...the other pic has both of us on it trailing somewhere behind the peloton. JCRC races are quite attractive and I believe you would be very fast climbing up the ranks Mike!

What's this about Gumna MOB? Have you guys been getting in some secret Hotaka training?

Tom, I am actually very interested in these races, but looking at the homepage it looks as if they are just going round and round the same circuit. The 102km race is 17 laps? Does it get dangerous with so many classes on the course?

not so dangerous...

The JCRC races are very well organized. Between the starting of each class there is enough time foreseen to avoid any pile-ups. Yes most of these races like at Gunma or Shuzenji is going around on the same circuit...but you don't get bored! Mob has been to all of them.

Tom, I am actually very interested in these races, but looking at the homepage it looks as if they are just going round and round the same circuit. The 102km race is 17 laps? Does it get dangerous with so many classes on the course?

We'll have to chat about these races next time we ride together Tom. Thanks for the info

I would be interested in doing these next season. MOB (as Group D Champion) can you give some back ground to the number of races, locations, requirements etc. please?

Philip

Own-horn-tootin' fool

Well, I did a Wada TT from the eastern approach yesterday. The last time I did it -- which was also my first time -- I finished in 17 minutes, 3 seconds.

This time, I was determined to go sub-17 minutes. And I did: 16 minutes, 28 seconds. Yee-haw!

I even put my name up on the Wada TT ranking homepage. Cuz I'm modest like that.

Sorry guys, I really do own Wada now. Might as well stay away from that mountain. :p

Deej

Deej (or should I say "Gold Five"?) you are really setting yourself up to be shot down in flames....

"Stay on target...."

205px-KrailTrenchRun.JPG

Go on -- fuel the rage

Are you making Star Wars references because I'm a "stellar" climber? Clever. The subtlety is strong with this one.

And "shot down" by whom? Contador doesn't visit Japan much. Anyway, at the rate I'm improving, Astana will be begging to have me on the squad come July. I'll have to have a clause in the contract allowing me to ride sleeveless though, because my guns are getting huge. It would definitely boost ratings.

Deej

Back
Top Bottom