What's new

Review Vittoria Rubino Pro

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
1500+km and still going strong.

Ride: very nice, supple and quite with great road feel. I had to get used to how supple these are especially when used at the tire pressure suggested by Vittoria.

Durability: I got the ones with white sides and the white areas are cracking a little which I believe is an issue with UV, but the middle is black and a softer compound that has been very strong yet supple. The wear is acceptable for 1500+km, no punctures at all and these tires have been in various road conditions that I thought would have resulted in tire problems.

Thanks for the recommendation TCC brothers, these are a smokin deal at less than 2,000 yen each.

I have had these in my Wiggle basket for a short while deciding if they are what I want.
Are they available in Japan at under ¥2000?

I'd 2nd these at less than 2000 yen, it's a pretty good training / commuting tire. If you want something more sprightly - then go for the Schwalbes at ProBikeKit (or similar). IMO the Rubino feels somewhat like the Pave - just a bit on the 'mushy' side. But , hey, at less than 1/4 the price - I can deal with a little oatmeal.

I would even go one rank lower and recommend Zaffiros, unless you are anything more than a hobbyist. My zaffs are indestructible but yes, heavy.
A little extra training weight is good, isn't it??

Certainly like the rubinos too.:bike:

I would even go one rank lower and recommend Zaffiros, unless you are anything more than a hobbyist. My zaffs are indestructible but yes, heavy.
A little extra training weight is good, isn't it??

Certainly like the rubinos too.:bike:

Agreed, I had the Zaffiros on my fixie back home and the stood up to a lot of abuse, misuse, and neglect.

Personally I notice weight changes in my bike/gear and I'm not a fan of added weight, so I would still vote for the rubby.

I'd 2nd these at less than 2000 yen, it's a pretty good training / commuting tire. If you want something more sprightly - then go for the Schwalbes at ProBikeKit (or similar). IMO the Rubino feels somewhat like the Pave - just a bit on the 'mushy' side. But , hey, at less than 1/4 the price - I can deal with a little oatmeal.

Yes mushy, so if I went to the next step up would I correct in thing that I will get more lateral stiffness but let go of some durability?

Tire 'feel' is largely related to the quality of the carcass. Higher threadcount carcass and using higher tension materials allow for a more flexible and supple (dynamic) carcass without sacrificing energy loss in compliance. It also allows the makers to use a rounder, more 'open' design in the tire - hence the 'open tubular' like Vittoria , Challenge, etc.

j-sworks, how many km did you get out of these tires? Any punctures in that time? Did you/would you go for these again?

I'm in the market for some new tires, so any info you can add would be greatly appreciatd.

I bought Rubino Pros on sale at Y's parts shop in Ueno for 1,500 yen several months ago. I doubt if they still have them at that price, but you can find them for cheap if you keep an eye out.

I know this is largely down to dumb luck, but for what it's worth I've done 2,000 km on them puncture free.

I've got one on my rear for about 4,000km. It has really flattened off in the center of the tread, but no threads or anything showing through yet. Has not given me any trouble. I am about 80kg.

j-sworks, how many km did you get out of these tires? Any punctures in that time? Did you/would you go for these again?

I'm in the market for some new tires, so any info you can add would be greatly appreciatd.
I got about 5,000km on a new pair and no punctures, and I happen to have an unused all black one that I could sell you. I know one is useless but maybe it can save you some cash.

I'd say that they are good everyday tires, my only complaint was that they always seemed a bit soft and that played mental tricks on me, or at least it contributed to them. The rolling was adequate as well, depending on what your coming from that is.

Last edited:
I bought Rubino Pros on sale at Y's parts shop in Ueno for 1,500 yen several months ago. I doubt if they still have them at that price, but you can find them for cheap if you keep an eye out.

I know this is largely down to dumb luck, but for what it's worth I've done 2,000 km on them puncture free.
Not dumb luck, keeping your eyes open and using some judgement on bad surfaces goes a long way, I think.

I got about 5,000km on a new pair and no punctures, and I happen to have an unused all black one that I could sell you. I know one is useless but maybe it can save you some cash.

I'd say that they are good everyday tires, my only complaint was that they always seemed a bit soft and that played mental tricks on me, or at least it contributed to them. The rolling was adequate as well, depending on what your coming from that is.

PM sent.

Hat and Beard, Doug3, thanks for the replies.
I'm thinking I'll try this as my next tire.

Are we talking about the Rubino Pro III ? If so then then huge props to this tyre, I use it on my daily commuter and its taken a beating for a year and hasn't missed a beat. I've finally managed to wear out the rear but the front still has several months to go. I got them from Merlin for about 2600 yen.

Back
Top Bottom