What's new

Vittoria Pit Stop

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
The emergency tire sealant.
Can it be packed in checked luggage?

Does anyone know where I can get it or something similar in Tokyo?
Cheers.

Not seen the Vittoria version here - would dearly love it as its used by many of the pro teams.

I am however using a new brand called Caffe Latex by effettoMariposa.com

CaffeLatex is a synthetic latex sealant so it won't rot away the inside of your tubulars like other brands like "Stan's" do. Also it can be used on tubulars that have already been mounted and to fix punctures on the road.

I used it on one of Yair's tyres that had a puncture and it sealed the hole and the small gap on the tyre surface.

The other great thing about the product is that it foams up when the wheel is rotated, other sealants pool against the outer part of the casing due to centrifugal force so your rolling and spinup/down is not effected.

A bottle of 250ml which is enough to do about 10 tubulars cost me 1155 JPY but you'll also need the syringe or injector which cost me another 500 JPY.

Highly recomend it.

Oh and as its a synthetic it should be fin in your check in luggage.

Thanks, but I'm looking for something to use (or preferably not use) during a race where spare wheel support could be ...better.

I see Vittoria JP doesn't have it.
PS my iPad corrects Vittoria to buttocks!

This is used for racing - you put it in your tubulars before the race so if you puncture it seals it with minimal air loss.

Where can I get this? The extra weight penalty(60-100gm) could be worth it on the glass littered roads in Thailand.
Would put some in my commuter for sure!
Thanks

I got mine from a little LBS in Yokohama, but I have a feeling you can get it at Y's or other large stores.

After using CaffeLatex on a small puncture, say a slow leak, how likely would the repair blow through after pumping the tyre back up to a higher pressure? Something like 120psi, or even something stupid like 160psi, for example?
Dave

And how dangerous would it be if after a particularly hot and hard ride you mistakenly grabbed the bottle and downed it for a quick caffine pickup?:eek:

And how dangerous would it be if after a particularly hot and hard ride you mistakenly grabbed the bottle and downed it for a quick caffine pickup?:eek:

You might be in trouble next time you need to take a leak! :eek:

After using CaffeLatex on a small puncture, say a slow leak, how likely would the repair blow through after pumping the tyre back up to a higher pressure? Something like 120psi, or even something stupid like 160psi, for example?
Dave

Dave,

Mine nor Yair's has. It sealed it up good and proper!

I ran over a staple last week that actually blew the tyre, I added about 50 psi to allow the liquid latex to bubble out left for a few minutes then pumped to 130 psi..... still riding it.

I used the Caffe Latex - same reason as FE - it's tubular safe for tubs with latex tubes! I have it in one ill fated Tufo Elite S3 that survived a multiple delamination at high speed early last year. It's still holding fine. And I used it in AZ this year where I got mutliple flats due the insane amount of broken bottles tossed into the bike lanes (or at the cyclists). It's holding fine with some pretty big gouges. I buy GEAX (Vittoria) in bulk and use it as well. It's also latex safe. For race would be nice to have some of the Italian CO2 'bombe' w/sealer cartridges like the Pit Stops.

I put some Caffe Latex in my commuter this evening then tried to get some in my Vitoria tubulars.:(
Let's just say my garage floor is now puncture proof! I blame the valve extensions, will try to get some new ones.

Zenbiker - it's funner as even Bikeradar who did a review on it did the same - As did I!

But once you work out that you need a whole lot of pressure when injecting it with no air in your tubulars it goes in perfectly.

I think you only make the mistake once. :D

Let's just say my garage floor is now puncture proof!

Rule #1: Lay the floor with old newspapers before you try something that could make a mess (especially if you're married! :D).

All Vittoria Tubulars (last I checked) have either a removable stem (from the base of the tire) or removable core (at top of the stem). Remove this before attempting to squirt in the sealant. I carry a small length of silicone tube so I can more easily xfer the sealant from the squeeze bottle to the tire. I also have an 'over the top' threaded valve extender which works pretty good in cases where the valve core or stem is not removable.

Tim - Yes and No. If you are using the Caffe Latex injector you do not need to remove the valve stem -

Just screw on the injector and go for it.
You need to make sure however that its screwed down tight and that there is no air in the tubular as you need to slightly inflate it as you inject - This method works best if the tubular is already mounted on the rim but you need to apply a lot of force.

If you are inserting the latex on a spare or a new tubular that you are about to mount then I suggest removing the valve and turning the Tub inside out so the valve is on the outside of the loop then squirt 30ml in.

True - I just use a standard 250ml syringe in the shop. When I'm riding, I don't carry the injector - just a squeeze bottle and short length of silicone tube. The GEAX (Vittoria) sealant is a little more aggressive than the Cafe Latex and will clog rapidly in the small space without valve core removed. So - I generally remove it any case as it's faster to insert the sealant. Tufo Gold Sealant is even more aggressive and bulky - it's intended more for MTB, but if you want to have maximum sealing capability for larger gashes, etc , this stuff is great. Not recommended for latex tubes - though, I've had it one of mine for more than a year now with no issues. YMMV. I still want to find the Italian 'bombe kit' which has the CO2 cartridge+ sealant. That would be super handy on the road.

Back
Top Bottom