What's new

Visiting Tokyo in January and want to keep the legs spinning (Pt 2)

davew

Warming-Up
Nov 13, 2013
Hi Everyone and a Happy New Year to all. I didn't get any replies to my posting of last week re places to train and, judging by how active this site is, and how friendly we cyclists are ;), I assume its because I wasn't clear enough - Apologies. I've never been to Tokyo central and so would really appreciate some guidance. Somewhere with a static bike to keep my legs spinning, and also a gym for weights and yoga would be great. It seems my hotel and work place is very close to Akasaka Palace and Sophia University. I arrive on 7th January for 3 weeks. Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

A bit about me, I'm a relatively fit - I think - 53 year old and cycling has been a major part of my life for the last 38 years. I now ride exclusively mountain bike events and train XC and single track. Following a pretty serious motor cycle accident 30 years ago I have to do yoga regularly and so hence the reason for looking for somewhere to practice Yoga (Ashtanga) too.

And as a final snippet by way of an introduction, I'm a student of the Japanese Shakuhachi bamboo flute and after 3 weeks in Tokyo I travel to Nagano where I will spend a couple of weeks with my teacher.

OK folks, hope someone can help. Also, if you're in the area close to where I'll be staying, I'm always happy to catch up socially with like-minded folks for coffee etc. so feel free to send me an email.

Cheers and Arigato gozaimasu
Dave

Hi Dave,
I'm not sure if we are very good on static bike locations or even gyms with classes - we tend to be out on our bikes or if stuck inside, then quite a lot of us have bolt-on trainers or rollers (guys, pls prove me wrong if you do know a spin class location or decent central gym).
I had a look through a list of gyms provided to me when I moved into Tokyo and most had a membership-only policy although this one in Minato-ku (Cma3, 3-1-35, Motoazabu, Minato-ku, Tokyo - website in English) seems to suggest you don't need a membership. I've never been there so I'm afraid that I can't comment on it.

Hi Dave, e mail your hotel and they should be able to give you a list of gyms (both public and membership) close to your hotel. If you are in a better hotel(you didn't say which hotel), they usually have a stationary bike in the hotel gym as well as free weights or a weight machine. For outside riding you can rent a road bike and join a group ride. Bring your lycra including gloves, pedals and shoes though. Mountains are covered in snow so XC riding might be a tougher proposition, oh and welcome.

Yes, the plusher hotels do have gyms/equipment, sometimes a small pool, and the typical gym-style 'bikes'. At the places I've stayed it's billed as an extra--a thousand yen a day if I remember right.

Besides just asking your hotel for a list of gyms, ask them for a little more (to do further inquiries for you), so they can point you at a couple that are suited to a 3-week visitor.

Also: https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/road-bike-rentals.4890/#post-71826

Thanks folks - I must admit, I hadn't thought about emailing the hotel - Duh!! I'll do that right now. The hotel won't be one of the plush one's though I suspect!
I'll also bring clothing with me although I'll have to get some warm leggings or something - not needed here in WA! I'll also follow up on the bike rental - at least if I can get one or two good rides in plus time in the gym I won't lose too much fitness. Thanks again everyone for responding. I'll post to here once I arrive next week. Cheers. Dave.

We have a weekly (Thursdays) free PowerTap 'experience' session. You are more than welcome to join. Space is limited but I set enough time to run at least 10 or so people through a 30-45min session. In addition we rent road bikes from a central Tokyo location (Akasaka Mitsuke).

Excellent thank you GSAstuto. I must admit that I haven't done a PowerTap session before, in fact, until 5 minutes ago when I looked it up I didn't know what it was. I would like to join you if I may. Please tell me more like where and what time and what I need to bring? Thank you once again. Cheers. Dave

Our shop is at 港区赤坂4-9-19赤坂T.O.ビル1,2F, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan 107-0052 03-5770-4545 Which is next to the famous TORAYA Sweet shop on Aoyoma Dori.
The session starts at 1800 and goes until 2100. Just bring your cycling kit , change of street clothes, bike (if you have) and towel(s). You might want to bring water bottle or other refreshment.

I updated the thread that is pertinent to the above:

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/beat-the-winter-blues-powertap-cafe.5116/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom