What's new

Visiting Japan with my bike, and i had a few bicycle secuirty questions

Jon

Warming-Up
Sep 3, 2015
Hi all,

Im going to be visiting Japan (kyoto and tokyo) with work in November, so i decided to take my bike out with me. I was wondering about bicycle security. If i was staying in the UK, i would just take my bike into my hotel room at night, but i wasnt sure if this is acceptable in Japan? if i cant do that, would it be ok to leave my bike locked to a post outside?

Also would anyone like to go for a ride? i ride fixed so may not be able to keep up on the hills, but would give it a shot either way :)

Is there anythin in the UK you cant get in Japan that anyoen would like me to take in? Marmite perhaps?

Thanks

Jon

PS: Obligatory bike photos: frame - , current build -

bike in the hotel room is fine. if not the hotel will have a secure area to keep it. You may best to throw a rear brake on there as the J Cops are hot on fixies having double brakes. Nice looking bike.

ah nuts, my frame needs long drop calipers which i dont have. if i just stick a brake on and pretend its functional, will that do?

ah nuts, my frame needs long drop calipers which i dont have. if i just stick a brake on and pretend its functional, will that do?
That's what I do with my fixie. If it passes the cursory glance test it is fine.

Some hotel rooms are really small. In most areas a decent lock and parked outside will be okay. There are heaps of bikes here.
The pretend back brake will be fine. Have a great trip.

Some hotel rooms are really small. In most areas a decent lock and parked outside will be okay. There are heaps of bikes here.
The pretend back brake will be fine. Have a great trip.
I disagree. I've never stayed in a hotel room that would have been too small for me and a bike. I would never leave a bike like that outside. Japan is a safe place, but your bike is still at risk.
I once asked a hotel if they had a storage room for my wife's bike when we were staying down in Kasai. They said they didn't. I asked if it was ok to take the bike to the room. They told me I couldn't. I just popped the bike its train bag then walked straight through the lobby with it and up to my room. No one batted an eyelid.

I have to agree with Leicadude. Anything that isn't a capsule hotel is big enough and if not there are storage areas the staff can access.

at risk of sounding like a muppet, hotel room size wont be an issue as my work is paying for the trip, and even for the extra luggage allowance to fly my bike out :)

i really dont want to leave my bike outside though. i guess i could hide it in my bike bag and just walk through....

Last edited:
If you're staying upscale then I'd only wonder about getting you bike to your room--a bag would seem both necessary and polite. If you're truly staying upscale, then the hotel will probably have inside parking of some kind, very likely secure, easy, and maybe also watched by CCTV. They might also keep a bagged bike at the front desk, or with left luggage, either of which I'd be very comfortable with.

If you're staying somewhere nice and your company is paying for it then I can't see it being a problem. You won't be the first guest to have brought a bike. If you're staying somewhere like the Peninsula they'll probably wash and service it for you ;)

bike storage wont be a problem them, thanks for this guys :)

Back
Top Bottom