Visiting Japan in May/June 2017

Bedge

Warming-Up
Jan 18, 2017
Hi,
I'm visiting Japan late May/early June this year, and need some advice.
1. I'm looking to hire a road bike (carbon/aluminium), so any advice on bike hire shops in and around Tokyo most welcome.
2. I want to visit an area of Japan that is good for Alpine like cycling. I've cycled in the Alps, Dolomites and Majorca, so I'm used to long climbs (at a suitable pace for a gent of a certain age!).
3. Any advice on group rides (again at a suitable pace for a gent of a certain age!) most welcome. I'm not too keen on urban cycling as I do enough of that living in Manchester UK.

All advice/contacts would be most welcome.

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Kobe
Hi Bedge,

1) For rentals, contact Tim at: www.gsastuto.com, good rental bikes and prices.
2) For alpine riding, I would head to either Hakuba or Kusatsu. This is assuming you are basing around Tokyo. Hakuba, where they had the Nagano Winter Olympics, has aweome riding. I don't find climbs particularly long, but just tons of ride options with plenty of mid-length climbs out of Hakuba in any direction. For a place to stay, a pension called Santana is great, and the owner Albert is an avid road/mtb rider and I am sure he can offer some route advice. BonuNoris point about Hakuba is that its easy to get to from Tokyo via the Super Azusa train to Matsumoto. 1x a day the train goes all the way to Hakuba, otherwise just change at Matsumoto to the local train to Hak. Its a 2.5-3.5 hour journey depending on the train connections.

Kusatsu has some awesome climbing, and the town is quite nice with lots of hot springs. Just its harder to get to than Hakuba, and basically no flat riding, its either up or down. Some awesome riding though if you just want to climb/descend.

Other options would be Norikura in Nagano, or riding along the Venus Line. Or, if you wanted to ditch Tokyo all together, Kyoto has some awesome riding but not quite the alpine type climbs you are seeking.

3) Sorry, no advice from my side on group rides in Tokyo.

Bedge

Warming-Up
Jan 18, 2017
Fantastic! This is great advice, and much appreciated. I'm sure I'll be able to find some groups rides that would be suitable for me nearer the time.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
Hi there @Bedge and welcome. I can't really offer up any more than what @Trek DJ has said but hopefully we should be doing a fair few rides in May and June. We normally ride out from the Tokyo area and into the north Saitama mountains. Not alpine scenery but the cycling is great.

What part of Manchester area you from? I'm originally from Saddleworth

Bedge

Warming-Up
Jan 18, 2017
Hi there. I'm original from Salford, but now reside in leafy Whalley Range. I know Saddleworth quite well through cycling and my partners from the Colne Valley. Saddleworth's gone like Blackpool now if you've not visited the place for several years! looking forward to hooking up for a few rides once I'm in Tokyo.

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
Chofu
I've lived in Salford and Whalley Range, yes I too have suffered! All road leading west of Tokyo lead to mountains, maybe not quite Alpine but proper hills in their own right.
By "man of a certain age" are we talking 50's 60's or 70's? Under that is just kids! :)