For Sale Vintage LeMond-era Bottecchia single speed

Justin

Justin

Speeding Up
Nov 12, 2016
Up for sale: a classic, late-80s LeMond-era Bottecchia frame built up as a single-speed bike for pottering around Tokyo. Gearing 46/18. I'm near Shin-Koenji, if you fancy a test ride.

¥125,000

I used the frame for several years in a road bike set-up, but it was a touch big for me, so a couple of years ago I stripped the road group off it and reconfigured it as a commuter. Beautiful frame, but there's scratching along the top tube and very small nicks and marks in other spots -- not at all surprising given its age. No pitting, or structural damage. There are little bits of rust in a couple of places, mainly on the rear cog, which could be replaced for about 3500 yen if you really mind about that sort of thing.

Keep as is, or use the frame for a vintage build project. The scratching on the top tube could easily be concealed under some tape, but I didn't mind it.

The bike was serviced about 6 months ago by Seiichi at CorsaCorsa. Since then, it's been mostly sitting inside while I wrestle with the idea of selling it. I've done less than 50km on it since the service.

Dimensions:
Seat tube centre to centre 56.5cm
Top tube centre to centre 55cm
Standover height 83cm give or take a couple of millimetres

Frame:
Columbus SLX tubing, the top-of-the-line racing steel throughout the '80s.

Parts (unless otherwise stated, all parts 3 years old)
Bars: Nitto 480mm B603AA -- bought new in Aug.
Stem: Nitto polished 110mm (not sure of model number, appears to have been discontinued)
Headset: rare Campagnolo 60s pista headset
BB: I honestly can't remember, but it's something generic that fits Italian threading
Chainset: FSA Gimondi 46 teeth 170mm
Rear cog: Shimano SF-1200 18 teeth
Chain: Regina CX -- bought new in Aug.
Wheels: H Plus Son polished box rims with Gran Compe hubs
Tyres: Grand Bois tan wall CerfVert 700x28C — bought new in Aug., fewer than 50km
Saddle: Gilles Berthoud "Mente" -- bought new in Aug.
Seatpost: generic
Brake calipers: Campagnolo skeleton breaks
Brake levers/cables: Tektro (some scuffing)
Grips: Rivendell cork -- bought new in September
Pedals: MKS BM-7 silver with MKS half toe clips (large)

First couple of pics show the bike in its former incarnation as a road build.

Cheers
Justin

PS I've tried to include all relevant details but may have overlooked something, so let me know if you need more information.