What's new

Tech Video trainers and simulators

Right - so my point being, although I just looked at the sample download they had -

1) It was just a garden variety mp4 'Car Cam' + overlay.
2) It had some subtitling
3) There was no extended meta-data ,either in track or out of track
4) So, yes, I could drop it into any 'smart trainer' and it would happily crank out a xx hr session whilst I watched the somewhat synched screen
5) However - either the trainer app itself or the video must contain the meta-data in order to provide the feedback (alerts, power changes, etc).

As far as I could tell - the video did not contain this information.

BTW - the Elite trainers are still not available in Japan with no plans (yet announced) for them to gain Japanese certification. That leaves just the PowerTap Pro, Minoura and CT as the only domestically approved (and supported) units.

Obviously this is a growing market and it won't be long for every fixed trainer to offer some kind of feedback mechanism. I hope that there is a standard of some sorts, which would make life much easier for the developers (and riders).

Tim I think you just downloaded the sample video - I was just sent a sample course and it has the RXVP file which contains all meta-data.

for the record Elite trainers are available in Japan - only the Ant and wireless versions aren't. Elite has support in Japan and is through the distributor Dinosaur (I think) As for Powertap - support if you want to pay double what you would in the US for any servicing or repair :(

Cool! I will check the RXVP data then. By the way, we don't live in the US, do we? And as a dealer, I pay exactly the same for small parts from Cyclops regardless of region. I'd love to offer the Elite's - there are several distributors for them in Japan, so they are great to source, but a non-ANT, non-wireless just aint in my game plan. Especially considering the wealth of ANT based options. Another one to look at is the Minoura Live Ride - and they are under 80,000 yen complete.

Last edited:
By the way, we don't live in the US, do we?

No but the US will service you kit regardless of where it was bought ;)

Totally agree with the wired version - no point any more!

why would I look at any other product? I have the best one on the market at the moment...... the live ride doesn't even come close ;D

I just received two new PowerBeam Pro Ant+ trainers. I'll do a rundown a little later on these. But essentially they do active feedback control and since they are Ant+ they will interface with many online as well as dedicated head units offering an 'RU' <resistance unit> interface. At about 120,000 yen, they aren't cheap, but still about half the price of an Elite Ritmo offering a similar , yet unavailable in Japan as yet, feature set. FYI The PBP's are certified for sale and use in Japan, however, they are also not widely <yet> distributed.

looks good but sadly It would have been knocked off my choice list as it is only cable of delivering a simulated gradient of 10% and max wattage of 1000w before the motor cuts out as a fail safe.

For tonight's PowerTap Cafe I'll have 2 PowerBeam Pro trainers set up. Anyone is welcome to come by and try out the unit! If you can beat 1000w @10%+ grade for more than 20 minutes, I'll give one to you!

powerbeam-pro-con-joule-gps.jpg

Back
Top Bottom