What's new

Tech Video trainers and simulators

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
For those of you that own a video trainer or simulator such as the ELITE Real range or TACX then this company may interest you.

http://www.bikelabvideo.it/it/

They have some stunning courses with the majority in HD1920X1080.

Here is a sample:

Right now only the "Elite Real Power" is able to simulate a full 20% sustained gradient incline and decline but if you are stuck for something to do during the winter then these are a lot better quality than a lot of the "branded" DVD's available.

Just like my commute!
I must be doing something wrong then. Every day my commute is like Grand Theft Velo.

Should I GoPro some psychommutes and sell the vids to spice up people's indoor training?

Should I GoPro some psychommutes and sell the vids to spice up people's indoor training?

If not to indoor cyclists then perhaps to video game makers! :D

Or there is always this one if you want make things really interesting ;);)

I guess you have never ridden on a simulator then? I agree that the open road is far better however for race training there is nothing better - where else can you put in 100km of totally uninterrupted riding with 2500m of simulated altitude gain?

I still do the majority of my riding on the road, but was recently put on to these software suppliers by the teach manager and thought I would share.

Nice idea. They are basically videos of driving the course, no? Do they include XML of the course position and relevant geodata? I could only see a download of the video media itself.

Nice idea. They are basically videos of driving the course, no? Do they include XML of the course position and relevant geodata? I could only see a download of the video media itself.

No Tim,

These simulations contain very detailed data of the courses including not only the GPS data of the parcours but also data of the conditions that the road surface has on the rolling resistance. I have the Pinarello Grand Fondo simulation taken in Traviso, Italy and you can sometimes see the tracking laser projected out front of the filming vehicle as they map the course.

They then mesh the data to the video and then the simulation software as this then has to be able to tell the braking unit on the trainer how much resistance or assist to put on the back wheel in order to simulate the climbs.

Elite has now made available software that allows you to record your own courses on either apple or android based phones, upload them to their server and then ride them, this is perfect for racers who wish to practice on the courses that they will race on, perfect for hill climb races where accessibility is a problem - Already some Japanese users have uploaded some of the closed to cyclists hill climb courses after mounting the phone on the bonnet (Hood) of their cars and driving up.

So unless you have a simulator or video trainer then you might a well just find some TDF or other scenic videos to watch while you ride.

As I mentioned before I still do the majority of my weekly training on the road, but when you ride to race you need to be able to replicate 3-4 hours of nonstop riding at pace over a course that replicates or matches where you will be racing nothing, apart from the actual location even comes close to a simulator and its why many Pro Teams worked with the makers to make them happen.

Some even allow you to connect with other users so you can ride the same course and race - so it can be a video game as well.

@JackTheCommuter the first two really are just video games to play on the trainer, the TACX however has a braking motor that will replicate the gradient of the actually course or assist the back wheel for when riding down hill.

No Tim,
These simulations contain very detailed data of the courses including not only the GPS data of the parcours but also data of the conditions that the road surface has on the rolling resistance.

They then mesh the data to the video and then the simulation software as this then has to be able to tell the braking unit on the trainer how much resistance or assist to put on the back wheel in order to simulate the climbs.

.::{{nerd stuff}}::..

XML is a mark-up language commonly used by GPS systems to record data at regular intervals; a GPS device will record 'packets' of data, which can include, among other things, long/lat numbers and elevation.

It looks like this;

<trkpt lat="35.8037880" lon="139.6687320">
<ele>5.0</ele>
</trkpt>

<trkpt lat="35.8037870" lon="139.6680580">
<ele>5.0</ele>
</trkpt>

<trkpt lat="35.8037790" lon="139.6673820">
<ele>3.2</ele>
</trkpt>

Loads of these packets are recorded at set intervals (roughly every 2-3 seconds) and bolted together to form the 'map' (along with other data such as heart rate / cadence over time, depending on what the recording device supports.)

I think @GSAstuto was asking if the videos include XML data of this sort, related to a particular course. The data these videos use will most likely be sourced from recorded XML data of this kind, which they then use to create their own standalone, data locked applications, combining with other data recorded over time, such as the mentioned road surface info, and of course the videos.

If one could program a way to use standard XML data with a resistance trainer which could be connected to a computer, it would be possible to go on a GPX data downloading binge on Strava and do every ride that has ever been done at home on the trainer using the elevation data alone. Of course, the videos would not be there, until Google Glass goes mainstream.

Hang on. Sorry. Forgot I am banned. Ignore everything I just wrote.

Right - so my point being, although I just looked at the sample download they had -

1) It was just a garden variety mp4 'Car Cam' + overlay.
2) It had some subtitling
3) There was no extended meta-data ,either in track or out of track
4) So, yes, I could drop it into any 'smart trainer' and it would happily crank out a xx hr session whilst I watched the somewhat synched screen
5) However - either the trainer app itself or the video must contain the meta-data in order to provide the feedback (alerts, power changes, etc).

As far as I could tell - the video did not contain this information.

BTW - the Elite trainers are still not available in Japan with no plans (yet announced) for them to gain Japanese certification. That leaves just the PowerTap Pro, Minoura and CT as the only domestically approved (and supported) units.

Obviously this is a growing market and it won't be long for every fixed trainer to offer some kind of feedback mechanism. I hope that there is a standard of some sorts, which would make life much easier for the developers (and riders).

If one could program a way to use standard XML data with a resistance trainer which could be connected to a computer, it would be possible to go on a GPX data downloading binge on Strava and do every ride that has ever been done at home on the trainer using the elevation data alone. Of course, the videos would not be there, until Google Glass goes mainstream.

Hang on. Sorry. Forgot I am banned. Ignore everything I just wrote.

You already can, not only that but you can plot rides on popular websites like mapmyride or ridewithgps and import the data and ride it - the only issue is you get no video feed apart from the gradient profiles.

As I mentioned before Elite has released a software package (watered down version of what they give the pro teams) that is available on Google play or iTunes for your smart phone to record the video footage and the GPS data, it then gets mashed together on their server so you can ride the course with video.

As you mention in your post Owen it is locked down so when you purchase the DVD or Blue Ray with the video and GPS data are in their software package so can not be separated. One very clever thing though is that the simulation software can pull up the google map data for each ride and verify that the video is synced correctly with the data as you ride.

As for how it all works or where it pulls the data from I have no idea Im not a software engineer

You already can

I knew I should have checked before I started my ridiculously dry essay. Absolutely pathetic post. Yet another reason why I shouldn't be allowed to post and deserve to be banned immediately.:oops:

TCC you are talking about banning like it's someone else's responsibility. You are the admin, it is your job to ban yourself, please make it happen already.

I knew I should have checked before I started my ridiculously dry essay. Absolutely pathetic post. Yet another reason why I shouldn't be allowed to post and deserve to be banned immediately.:oops:

I'm a total noob to a trainer, and not doing all of the above-described stuff, but after four weeks or so of semi-regular use, I can say that it is a much better workout than equal time on a bike.

There are no stoplights (breaks), no little/occasional downhills where you let off a little.

I crank up the tunes, and keep 3-4 towels handy.

I guess you have never ridden on a simulator then? I agree that the open road is far better however for race training there is nothing better - where else can you put in 100km of totally uninterrupted riding with 2500m of simulated altitude gain?

I still do the majority of my riding on the road, but was recently put on to these software suppliers by the teach manager and thought I would share.
Correct Sir. Never ridden on one as I could envisage it being similar to a running machine and boy do I hate running machines. Did 10km on one last night and was contemplating slitting my wrists towards the 8km mark. I can certainly see the benefits of using a trainer especially when training for races but I want to keep riding my bike as a hobby (not that I could see get into a team even if I tried) and as fun as possible. Getting out on my bike, in the hills, especially with good mates is where it is at for me. I don't do Strava for the fear that it might change the way I look at riding my bike. I don't want it to become a competition. I want it to remain purely about getting out there with my mates.
Of course I have nothing against you loonies for riding indoors. I just like to poke fun at you all from time to time ;)

(not that I could see get into a team even if I tried)

The japanese teams should feel lucky you think that way... because you would make them sweat without a doubt!
Can you at least do one hill climb race this season!? I'll be your personal assistant/ds/mechanic/bike washer/leg grouper/fjolla!

Back
Top Bottom