What's new

Ride VeloViewer tiling in Japan

So just the aforementioned single lonely tile collected today.

View attachment 33443
The top left one of these tiles can be cleared via a rindo off Doshi michi. Just saying, because I did that.

For the others I was planning to hike from Rt70 (Miyagase-ko to Yabitsu), but that is now closed again so that's postponed again.

20211105-082609-miyagase-jpg.33441

I can think of a possible use for 83 million undistributed Abe-no-mask still kept in paid storage somewhere :)

What sort of tires do you use, @Half-Fast Mike?
WTB Nano, on my Niner

20211003-092503-exploring-akagi-se-jpg.33140

Last edited:
WTB Nano, on my Niner

20211003-092503-exploring-akagi-se-jpg.33140
Ahh...now I understand the resilience!

Logged this ride on Sunday. Stayed in the R9 Hotel. Had my own private storage container/room. Several of these hotels scattered around. Comfortable enough. I'd use them again.

Looking at the 'Flying domestically with a bike' thread about Haneda. So....is this tile 'legally' getable by bike?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 14.20.02.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 14.20.02.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 1
Being the law abiding guy I am, and since I don't want to hassle with rinko/bike/rinko for a tile, if there's no legal way to do this, I'll just wait till the next time I fly out from Haneda and take a stroll.

Looking at the 'Flying domestically with a bike' thread about Haneda. So....is this tile 'legally' getable by bike?

I've done this several times and not encountered problems. No more illegal than, say, riding through the spooky pedestrian tunnel to Higashi-Ogishima on the opposite side of the Tamagawa delta!

Yellow first: following the Tamagawa Cycle Road left bank, past the Tenkūbashi torii & photo spot, stay on the sidewalk on the right nearest the ocean wall. Keep going. Keep going. Eventually you'll go into a tunnel - still on the sidewalk - and then pop out again. You're in the maintenance/service area now. Down a little hill to the junction with the main road. [TILE!] Explore the loop end if you want, but stay on the sidewalk and come back to this spot. 90º left onto R357. Blast along there [TILE!] until you join the turquoise tarmac labelled Terminal 3/Kanpachi. Follow this around a left curve. (Yeah - there's a no bikes/no peds sign. You'll be fine.) Lights on! Through the longer tunnel under the aprons and runway. You've had worse. Keep going straight, past Terminal 3, and you're back at the riverside.

1637922233545.png

1637921016802.png

1637922416662.png

--

Or, ya know, zoom in to the top left corner of the offending tile and you'll see that you can get it from the path through Keihinjima Tsubasa Park.

1637922097307.png

Last edited:
I've done this several times and not encountered problems. No more illegal than, say, riding through the spooky pedestrian tunnel to Higashi-Ogishima on the opposite side of the Tamagawa delta!

Yellow first: following the Tamagawa Cycle Road left bank, past the Tenkūbashi torii & photo spot, stay on the sidewalk on the right nearest the ocean wall. Keep going. Keep going. Eventually you'll go into a tunnel - still on the sidewalk - and then pop out again. You're in the maintenance/service area now. Down a little hill to the junction with the main road. [TILE!] Explore the loop end if you want, but stay on the sidewalk and come back to this spot. 90º left onto R357. Blast along there [TILE!] until you join the turquoise tarmac labelled Terminal 3/Kanpachi. Follow this around a left curve. (Yeah - there's a no bikes/no peds sign. You'll be fine.) Lights on! Through the longer tunnel under the aprons and runway. You've had worse. Keep going straight, past Terminal 3, and you're back at the riverside.

View attachment 33582

View attachment 33572

View attachment 33584

--

Or, ya know, zoom in to the top left corner of the offending tile and you'll see that you can get it from the path through Keihinjima Tsubasa Park.

View attachment 33576
Oh, wow! Thanks.

I tried the tile from the park a year or so ago and didn't get it. I just 'clicked through' on that ride to see if it would pick it up, and SHAZAM! Tile bagged!!

Armchair tiling... a new thing for me. Something else to be thankful for this weekend.

Made my day! Thanks, sir.

(I'll use your nifty map sometime in the future to pick up those remaining tiles.)

Last edited:
FWIW, after clicking through on that ride down toward Haneda and bagging that tile, my max square bumped up to 39x39.

Feeling the heat, @Half-Fast Mike ?

(Unfortunately, no further gains to be had until the base of my square moves up above Tokyo Bay....unless, of course, I rent a kayak and pull a HFM kayaking expedition.)

FWIW, after clicking through on that ride down toward Haneda and bagging that tile, my max square bumped up to 39x39.

Feeling the heat, @Half-Fast Mike ?

(Unfortunately, no further gains to be had until the base of my square moves up above Tokyo Bay....unless, of course, I rent a kayak and pull a HFM kayaking expedition.)
This is great.

39*39 = 1521 while 52*52 = 2704, so I have a decent buffer of tiles. But Aesop's hare had a similar thought. And it's not just about the tiles you've got, but where you've got them! If only Gunma & Tochigi were as 'easy' as Chiba.

I'm looking forward to hearing of your future adventures... and having my own, of course... and will stay ahead as long as I can.

This is great.

39*39 = 1521 while 52*52 = 2704, so I have a decent buffer of tiles. But Aesop's hare had a similar thought. And it's not just about the tiles you've got, but where you've got them! If only Gunma & Tochigi were as 'easy' as Chiba.

I'm looking forward to hearing of your future adventures... and having my own, of course... and will stay ahead as long as I can.
This year was a rainy one, up until November, but after the sunny weather in November, I managed to knock out the area north of Chichibu, which was my goal for 2021. I'm hoping my hike from the Mitsumine Shrine up and over the Kumotori peak will stand as a buffer on the left against the 'HFM Onslaught.' 2022 will be the year of "The Mountains in the North." But for now, winter is coming.

Thread Resurrection!

Over the winter I had gathered a few odd tiles here and there from skiing and whatever, but today was my first proper tiling voyage since forever. My route was heavily influenced by @Chuck's 'Hakone'. OK, it was blatant plagiarism. There are only so many roads!

First train I've taken in a long time. (I was following @thomas down the hill towards the station, but I'm not sure if he noticed me!)

I starting riding from Tomizu station on the Odakyū line. Going west, things go straight up without much ado.

20220410-091423-exploring-east-hakone.jpg

Happily, what goes up must come down.

The rindō on the side of the Minami-ashigara mountains are a real mixed bag. Plenty of gravel, plenty of pavement, plenty of steep. Niner was the right tool for the job.

20220410-120049-exploring-east-hakone.jpg

I'm out of shape. This was all rather hard work. But I've stopped smoking, so unlike the last three years I can actually breathe and don't have to stop once an hour for a suffocation break.

20220410-141348-exploring-east-hakone.jpg

I don't believe I've ever visited this side of Hakone, with the museums and stuff. It looks interesting. Will have to come back again in slower time. (And midweek!)

20220410-145005-exploring-east-hakone.jpg

cherry.jpg

There was an utter b@st@rd of a hill at around 53 km. After all the climbing previously in the day, there was no way my poor legs could pedal the heavy Niner up. So I swallowed my pride and walked it. They all count.

After that, the plummet from Sunday-touristy Hakone to sea level was lots of fun; just a couple of bumps. From Odawara I headed back east a few km to catch a stray tile right on the beach. I was not thwarted by the signs.

20220410-155756-exploring-east-hakone.jpg

20220410-160201-exploring-east-hakone.jpg

Including this bonus beach tile, total of 20 for the day. Yay!

e_hakone.gif

Back
Top Bottom