What's new

Ride VeloViewer tiling in Japan

Great! I calculated the URL wrong - yours is https://veloviewer.com/athlete/13401478/activities

You're doing superbly. One wee ride to pick up a few in Hachiōji will boost your cluster and square. Four of the joined-up six are on the Asagawa Psyclepath, which is my preferred route to/from Takao and points west. That tile stuck out on its own that you approached from east and west on this ride contains Iriyama-tōge, the first peak on my Four Sisters™ route. Lovely rindō once past the damn quarry and its trucks. Ride On!

There always seems to be just one more tile I need... I've got routes planned to get them but haven't had the opportunity to ride them all yet. (And I actually did bag a couple that didn't register.:sly:)

I think this winter I'll try to do the closer in city stuff around Yokohama, Miura, and Tokyo. Planning to do a lot more rinko-ing this year to reduce the time to and from the mountains. Since I live out towards Machida on the Odakyu line, I can be in Hadano (or beyond) in about an hour, or Gotemba in just over an hour and avoid the city stop-and-go, so I plan to do more of that. Also, Uenohara is only an hour by train, so should be able to use it as a nice staging area for the remaining tiles in that area. Gonna take a while, but I'm in no hurry. Really looking forward to getting back up in the mountains when it is warmer and exploring the Tanzawa area.

Well, my predicament is that I need to swim for one tile that is near Chigasaki...... but I don't know how far I'll have to swim for it. Also, I'm rubbish at swimming so there's that!

https://veloviewer.com/athlete/9172710/

@Karl You can easily expand your Max by extending it south. Need a few rides around/near Zushi area and a few targeting the Oiso, Odawara area.

@Gok That tile at Chigasaki is gettable w/o swimming. I had to walk my bike out onto the beach a bit but no swimming necessary. :cool:

My max square, south of Uenohara, will be difficult to grow much due to the ungettable (by bike) tiles in the mountains. Still, I do plan fill in the blanks south of Hadano one of these days soon. I have the route planned. Only 55 km.

@Karl Thanks for the tip! Was contemplating how drowning feels like...

Those tiles around Uenohara can be had if you go for a hike (exclusively). Plenty of good hiking trails there. But yeah....probably can't bike them.
Shobunsha's annually updated Yama-to-Kogen series is very helpful if you want to hike those areas. In winters though, it gets snowy and icy on the trails.

If I can't get to it by bike, I've decided to pass on the tile. (But the OCD part of me tells me to get them somehow.:ashamed:) I'm willing to do some scrambling but a long day hiking a trail isn't in the cards.

That tile at Chigasaki is gettable w/o swimming
Ooh yes - I have a routeplan to fill in some clustergaps around Atsugi, Chigasaki and Totsuka. Never thought about hitting the beach there, as it won't help my MaxSquare plan anyway. But it's only a short detour. Cheers!

the OCD part of me tells me to get them somehow
I carry a pair of collapsible hiking poles in my Camelbak. Val-de-ri...

Ooh yes - I have a routeplan to fill in some clustergaps around Atsugi, Chigasaki and Totsuka. ..... But it's only a short detour. Cheers!

Yep. Only a few more kilometers and you can bag that tile.

I carry a pair of collapsible hiking poles in my Camelbak. Val-de-ri...

I'm thinking a drone might be the solution?;) Having just one tile keeping me from expanding my max cluster bugs me more than I like to admit.

BTW... Thanks for the tip on using the klm file on Maps.me. Can't wait to give it a try out in the wild.

Last edited:
I'm thinking a drone might be the solution?
It's just data; not so hard to spoof a .tcx file that Stravr will believe.

Here's an 'unobtanitile' stamp I made for a tiling friend who had no way to get into a US military base. (He kept the activity private on Stravr - it's just between us loonies!)

As to whether it's ethical... we each make our own rules about what counts! Some tilers choose to only allow themselves rides that start and finish at their home. Some won't allow any walking, running, swimming, etc. My personal view is that any primarily-self-propelled endeavor is OK. So kayaking is fine. While yachting (wind-power) (to me) is cheating, I wouldn't disallow myself a ride on which I enjoyed a fantastic tailwind. Downhill skiing or downhill trails in a MTB park is physically demanding, but gravity is the only significant source of propulsion, so for me those activity types are potentially fraudulent - and unlikely to make or break my MaxSquare anyway. Interested to know what you guys think.

At this point in the 'game,' my rule is if I can't get the tile by bike, I am counting it as ungettable, although I'll count a short scramble to bag a tile (500m or so) on foot as OK. I haven't considered bagging tiles via other modes of transport, although, at some point, if I do a hike up in the mountains and I 'just happen' to record a gps track that gets me an otherwise ungettable tile, it will be hard not to count it. :confused:

As for cheating and faking a track that registers a tile I didn't actually get.... it would spoil the whole thing for me. But I can imagine that some people who are competing for top honors might be tempted, and my guess is it has been done. Talk to any sports fisherman who has been in a competition to catch the biggest fish. All sorts of shenanigans and cheating happen. Totally takes the fun out of it.

Started from home at 7:00. In Shibusawa at 8:30. Off and biking in 10 minutes. Not too bad temps.

Wound around the Oiso area collecting tiles. Headed over to Fujisawa then back up the cycling road and home. Fought a stiff headwind all the way up the cycling road.

Checking out my tile situation, I bagged about 20 tiles but my max square is still 18x18. Next stop.. Zushi and Miura area.

Got out and did some tile collecting today, for the first time in ages. Not useful for my MaxSquare, just the MaxCluster.

Before: Google ChromeScreenSnapz001.png
After: Google ChromeScreenSnapz002.png

So 45 new imaginary internet map tiles boosted my Cluster by 99. Excellent value!

Highlights included riding cruising along the bank of the Sagami-gawa to the sea, with a nice tailwind, and riding along the beach path. A little walk on the beach (thanks for the tip, @Karl) was very productive. The rest was mostly dull suburbia, with lots and lots of short, sharp climbs, plus a couple of staircases thrown in by Stravr Routeßuilder just to keep me guessing.

Google ChromeScreenSnapz003.gif

Good going guys. Much tiles were had this weekend; kudos. Looks like i'll have to do a tiling expedition pretty soon. You guys keep me motivated.

It's just data; not so hard to spoof a .tcx file that Stravr will believe.

Here's an 'unobtanitile' stamp I made for a tiling friend who had no way to get into a US military base. (He kept the activity private on Stravr - it's just between us loonies!)

As to whether it's ethical... we each make our own rules about what counts! Some tilers choose to only allow themselves rides that start and finish at their home. Some won't allow any walking, running, swimming, etc. My personal view is that any primarily-self-propelled endeavor is OK. So kayaking is fine. While yachting (wind-power) (to me) is cheating, I wouldn't disallow myself a ride on which I enjoyed a fantastic tailwind. Downhill skiing or downhill trails in a MTB park is physically demanding, but gravity is the only significant source of propulsion, so for me those activity types are potentially fraudulent - and unlikely to make or break my MaxSquare anyway. Interested to know what you guys think.

For me, the rule is 'if you can do it by a run, walk, hike, swim or bike (Human powered)' it counts. As for downhill skiing, yachting..... it's a gray zone. Whereas any motor vehicle isn't fair play. Another mode of tile collection I find 'wrong' is if you drive to a tile and just do a little walk to collect it; and drive back. Seems like there's no effort put it to get the tile... but yeah; everyone has different rules and I think the important part is to keep exploring.

You got me guys: I signed up to veloviewer! I realized I missed the heat map feature on Strava premium but didn't want to pay again just for that feature. Oh, my opinion is that anything done on two legs or two wheels counts🙂 Enjoy your day!

You got me guys: I signed up to veloviewer! I realized I missed the heat map feature on Strava premium but didn't want to pay again just for that feature. Oh, my opinion is that anything done on two legs or two wheels counts🙂 Enjoy your day!

Welcome brave explorer!
Generally you make your own rules but anything that is done on your legs/wheels is good!
Don't forget to share the link to your VV profile with us. @Half-Fast Mike already shared how to do that, in this thread.

Nice day for cycling. Spent the day slogging through the Kawasaki area across the river from Haneda, around the docks trying to bag tiles closer to home vs up in the chilly old mountains. Frustrated in my tile-pursuit with planned route that dead ends, doesn't go through where it says you can go, and where bikes aren't allowed (despite the Strava route builder saying it is cycle-able). Still...I picked up some tiles and got a good ride in. Amazed by all the infrastructure out that way... airports, docks, interchanges, bridges.... all the stuff it takes for me to be able to order something from the UK on Monday and have it arrive on Friday.

https://veloviewer.com/athlete/13401478/activities

Nice day for cycling. Spent the day slogging through the Kawasaki area across the river from Haneda, around the docks trying to bag tiles closer to home vs up in the chilly old mountains. Frustrated in my tile-pursuit with planned route that dead ends, doesn't go through where it says you can go, and where bikes aren't allowed (despite the Strava route builder saying it is cycle-able). Still...I picked up some tiles and got a good ride in. Amazed by all the infrastructure out that way... airports, docks, interchanges, bridges.... all the stuff it takes for me to be able to order something from the UK on Monday and have it arrive on Friday.

https://veloviewer.com/athlete/13401478/activities

Looks like you missed the tiles located on Higashi-ōgishima East Park 'island' (is that the dead-end you're talking about?); there's a hidden under-water tunnel that goes there from Chidori Park, very easy to miss; very eerie, long tunnel.

1547990628594.png

Looks like you missed the tiles located on Higashi-ōgishima East Park 'island' (is that the dead-end you're talking about?); there's a hidden under-water tunnel that goes there from Chidori Park, very easy to miss; very eerie, long tunnel.

ARGH!! o_O I saw the trail through the park but didn't imagine it would lead to a secret tunnel. I had a look at your map and saw you and Half-Fast Mike got the tiles but figured you had braved the underground tunnel for vehicles. No way I was going to do that. The good news... I can get the tiles. The bad news... now I have to go back to the lovely and scenic Kawasaki dock area again.:(

(Thanks for the info.)

Back
Top Bottom