What's new

Ride VeloViewer tiling in Japan

Chuck

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Kinda makes sense, but I did like the country by country leaderboard.

VeloViewer

Warming-Up
Jun 2, 2022
I've got a country leaderboard on my to-do list although knowing which country to put people in can be tricky! Make sure you email me with any other suggestions in this area.
Ben VeloViewer

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
I've got a country leaderboard on my to-do list although knowing which country to put people in can be tricky! Make sure you email me with any other suggestions in this area.
Ben VeloViewer
Hello and welcome, Ben! Yes - I was wondering (mostly to myself so far) whether you couldn't outsource/invite Pete B or someone else to do this within the VeloViewer environment. I think some manual effort is inevitable when assigning max squares/clusters from a country to a rider. It's quite conceivable for a rider to have the max square or max cluster in a country or countries that are not their 'base'. And riders may move base country from time to time. I'm not a programmer, and thinking about how to do it automatically makes my head spin.

VeloViewer

Warming-Up
Jun 2, 2022
Whenever I have thought of a country leaderboard over the last number of years I always go through that same head-spin and leave it for another day! Strava provide a "State" and "Country" but about half of them are blank. Perhaps people aren't setting them in Strava? So I've given up on using that one.
Another option is to use the athlete's max square/cluster centre point but that could well put them in another country to the one they live in but it would probably get 99% of them correct so that might be a good option to set most of them. Of course, as you say, people move house and start up a second max square which might be in a different country. If they then pick the 2nd country but the scores are coming from their exploring in the 1st country then that will be weird!
Then you've got people whose squares/clusters spread across multiple countries anyway, how should that work?!
I've got some other ideas that might work but need to think them through a bit better.

yurikleb

Warming-Up
Jun 7, 2022
Hey everyone! I just found out about this whole tiling thing yesterday and I'm really keen on trying it as well!
I just joined Veloviewer https://veloviewer.com/athlete/84880356/ and am very impressed by all the features.

I'm sorry If I missed this and it's already somewhere in this thread, but are there any tips for the best way/tool to plan routes for ticking new tiles?
Is it just having the "my activities" tab open in one browser window and a route planner (Ride With GPS for example) in another window, side by side?
Or is there a more clever way?

Thanks!

Update:
I just tried the chrome extension, which is very handy and works very well on Strava website, the problem is that Strava Route Planner is quite limited as far as I figured out. It offers quite a limited amount of maps which makes it impossible to plan to go to the smaller trails. Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Update:
I just tried the chrome extension, which is very handy and works very well on Strava website, the problem is that Strava Route Planner is quite limited as far as I figured out. It offers quite a limited amount of maps which makes it impossible to plan to go to the smaller trails. Or am I missing something?
The Strava Map Switcher extension for Chrome increases the number of maps available to you within Strava and its Route Planner.

Compared to RWGPS then Strava's planner is very limited. But at the moment it's the only option I know of with a tile overlay.

Please do share your progress!

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
I assume you are referring to off road riding when you write trails? I am afraid this is a peculiarity of the Japanese off road scene: they are afraid of making trails public, because sometimes the police or local government has a very heavy-handed approach to mountain bikers. So in my experience, most keep trails a secret and you gotta ride with locals. There are a few exceptions like bike parks, but overall, this is the way it is. If you want to know more about offroading, ask @bloaker, he is the man.

Chuck

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Hey everyone! I just found out about this whole tiling thing yesterday and I'm really keen on trying it as well!
I just joined Veloviewer https://veloviewer.com/athlete/84880356/ and am very impressed by all the features.

I'm sorry If I missed this and it's already somewhere in this thread, but are there any tips for the best way/tool to plan routes for ticking new tiles?
Is it just having the "my activities" tab open in one browser window and a route planner (Ride With GPS for example) in another window, side by side?
Or is there a more clever way?

Thanks!

Update:
Hi Yuri... I noticed you already followed me on RWGPS so you can see my write ups of my rides there. I try to mention the road/trail conditions so anyone interested in the same route has an idea of what to expect. And, of course, the VV champion (@Half-Fast Mike ) has done everything there is to do in the prefectures surrounding Tokyo, and then some, so his rides are another good source.

As for planning, once you get off the road and on to trails, things seem to get pretty uncertain. Whether the trail actually exists, what kind of surface it is... kind of hit and miss. I just try to have a backup plan ready in case Plan A doesn't pan out.

Be careful about the tiling bug, though. Once bitten, it is hard to recover. 😱

yurikleb

Warming-Up
Jun 7, 2022
Thanks for all the tips, everyone!
I will do some testing in the next couple of weeks and share any tips I might have!

@OreoCookie I don't only mean off-road, from my experience there are many smaller/side roads which do not appear on Strava but are visible on OSM-Cycle map for example (which is available in RWGPS). Those are often in a decent condition for a road bike, even if small parts have a bit of gravel.
See a quick comparison of an area south-east of mt. Jinba attached.

@Chuck thanks for the warning, I can imagine it's really addicting! ;)

Attachments

• maps-compare.jpg
    maps-compare.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom