What's your take on valve extenders?

• They are the best thing since sliced bread

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Have some for an emergency, but not for everyday use

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Useless waste of money

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
I carry a brass one that came with my Mavics with me in my pocket and screw that onto the top of the valve when I need to inflate.

Never had a problem with it, but I do need to make sure to remember to put the little o-ring thing on the valve to ensure an airtight fit.

Yes I've heard about air pressure issues, I guess that's what the seal is for.

I specifically picked a pump with a short tube so I never have to worry about pushing the valve sideways and damaging it while pumping (one puncture in 5,000 km so far, knock on wood).

They work but there are better solutions. There's one more seal that has to hold to inflate the tyre and the presta valve can screw itself closed due to vibration, making inflation impossible unless the valve and extender is removed and unscrewed again.

Clincher tyre: use a tube with a long valve. Panaracer et al make long stem valves.
Tubular tyre: use a Vittoria long valve (for Vittoria only) or the Tufo extenders that thread inside the valve, where the core normally goes, and move the core to the top of the extender.

I want to go with the long valve but 80mm are tough to come by, I will have a 38/50 mm front and rear mix, respectively. So I'm looking at 60/80mm I believe?

I prefer the correct length tube. However sometimes hard to get. The next best is the Vitoria (or similar) tubes which allow the valve core to be removed and then the extender screws in there - like Alan says. last method is the 'over the top' extender which relies only on air pressure to displace the core plunger and fill the tube. I carry one of these with me as it's a good emergency bit for use with any tube (or tubular). The last version has a builtin plunger for pushing the core - kinda like a core extender as well. I hate these.

Agree fully about the correct valves to begin with, so I've got an email alert scheduled for the 80mm valve continentals.

In the mean time I went for a band aid, the Lyzene extensions, not ideal but it will do for now and I can use in the emergency pack.

Agree fully about the correct valves to begin with, so I've got an email alert scheduled for the 80mm valve continentals.

In the mean time I went for a band aid, the Lyzene extensions, not ideal but it will do for now and I can use in the emergency pack.

You can get by without valve extenders on those size rims. I ride 50mm Carbon clinchers and use 60mm Bridgestone tubes with no probs at all! Valve extenders are a true pain in the arse:mad: Y's have them....

You can get by without valve extenders on those size rims. I ride 50mm Carbon clinchers and use 60mm Bridgestone tubes with no probs at all! Valve extenders are a true pain in the arse:mad: Y's have them....

Really? That's awesome.

I've never actually checked how much the pump takes in of the valve, so I hope it works.

Cheers,
Josh

Basically I find (standard) valve extenders a pain in the to use. I always thought that I am too stupid to use them but to see that others have similar problems is encouraging.

I don't want to have different tubes with different valve length for clinchers so I use externders. Of course I could buy only tubes with 60mm valves but they look stupid on low profile rims and are more expensive.

As I buy tubulars for a specific set of wheels I prefer to buy short or long valves depending on the rim I want to use them with, no problem. But sometimes it is difficult to have cheaper tubulars with long valves from stock so I compromise on short valves.

I roll with Vittoria - use the correct length valve - as Vittoria make tubulars with interchangable valves (Brilliant and also makes useing sealant a lot easier)

Or I just buy Vittoria inner tubes that have the correct length valves.

As mike Said however you don't need an 80mm for that rear wheel - an inner with a 65mm valve will do the trick.

Finding tubes with long valves can be quite difficult and will greatly limit your choices.

I've been using the generic extenders that Y's carries; the type that requires the core be removed and relocated to the extender (like the Tufo extenders). It was quite easy to install and no issues at all so far.

I didn't want too much extender sticking out of the rim, so I got 40mm extenders + the 35mm or 40mm on your average tubes = ~80mm; works just fine for 50mm rims.

Yeah I will keep looking for the correct tubes, but for now I got some 60mm and a few extenders.

The 60's should be fine on the 50mm rims as long as there is enough room for your track pump to bite youre laughing.

Yeah I will find out in a little bit, hopefully it can grab on 1cm

Plumbers tape. I do one round around the threads then install the valve extender. Then add another around the outside when installing valve extenders on tubular's. It can also be used to wrap around valves that vibrate and make noise inside of deep section wheels. Use a spoke to depress the air, sometimes necessary to do before inflating.

Back
Top Bottom