What's new

UUD v2 to v3 map update procedure

snoogly

Maximum Pace
Oct 14, 2007
Thanks to the heads up in another thread that the UUD map has been updated to v3, I just ordered it, and am waiting for the download link.

Has anyone else gone and done this yet? All went well? Nicer map?

I just started too. 40 minutes to go ...

Hmmmmm. It is big. Will it even fit on the 605? I installed v2 directly onto the unit (not on a card), but for the life of me, I can't recall the capacity of the 605.

ooooohhhh. Internal capacity is only 500mb, so it looks like the v3 map is not going to be living inside the 605.

Well, I never put the full map into the device - it just slows it down too much. Best to just upload the sections of the maps which you will need.

Well, I never put the full map into the device - it just slows it down too much. Best to just upload the sections of the maps which you will need.

Thanks for the tip!

11 minutes to go ....

Does anyone know if having a map installed on the device, rather than the card, improves the response time of the device?

As Ludwig pointed out, installing a huge map on the device might slow it down, but I wonder if by default, it is going to operate more smoothly with the map on the device.

Ok, I think I answered this in the original Garmin thread.

It's all about 2 things,

1: how fast the data can be read by the garmin off the SSD card
2: how fast the card can send the data to the Garmin.

Different cards have different access speeds, cheap ones have very slow read write data profiles, while more expensive ones designed for high speed data reading and writting such as forhigh spec digital cameras will have very fast read write times.

I don't know the specs off heart for the card reader on the Garmin and what type and spec is of the internally mounted drive but like your PC, read/write times are always faster onthe primary drive where the OS is stored.

Many thanks FarEast. I think I will peruse the shelves of Yodobashi camera today, and seek a fast card. However, I think there is a 2gb limit for the Garmins, and I doubt if they can handle the new faster cards.

It's a shame information about this isn't more forthcoming from Garmin....

Update?

If you already purchased the older version of the map, you would have to also purchase this new version.....correct? That's not an update, that is purchasing a new version of the maps! I might be wrong, or is this a true statement?

If you already purchased the older version of the map, you would have to also purchase this new version.....correct? That's not an update, that is purchasing a new version of the maps! I might be wrong, or is this a true statement?

Yes, you purchase a new map, but at a discounted 'update/upgrade' price.

I just updated from v2 to v3. A lot more detail and worth the upgrade price (¥10,000). 7-11 locations are not shown however :(

Philip

How 'new' is the data?
Where I live there was no road here 5 years ago.
Would like to know at least if my own home will be on any upgrade I pay for..

How 'new' is the data?
Where I live there was no road here 5 years ago.
Would like to know at least if my own home will be on any upgrade I pay for..

The road map is the latest year 03/2010 digital road map database of Japan made by Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd. But they did not say if your road was included :)

Though I paid for the downloaded upgrade, I just received a DVD of v3 in the post, along with an explanation of why it was sent to me. I glanced at the accompanying in a hurry when I left the house today, and didn't really focus on it - but I think it said the map had been changed since my download.

Did anyone else receive the DVD?

I'll have to swot up on the installation procedure now, though I guess the map is still going to be tied to the specific ID number of the Garmin device in some way.

Hi Snoogly,

I received the V3 CD. The CD contained a zipped file. The unzipped folder is named "Garmin". I backed-up V2 from the original microSD card (I purchased last year) before deleting all contents from the card. I needed to use the original microSD card for the update as copy protection information is embedded in card. I then copied the Garmin folder to the original microSD card. Finally I placed the unlock key file (received by e-mail) in the Garmin folder and overwrote the existing unlock key file. Took 5 minutes.

Cheers,

Philip

Thanks Philip.

My situation is a little different, as I bought the download version. Once I have recovered from the toils of the day, I see how my update procedure will go (from downloaded v3 to slightly updated v3 on DVD).

>>>> Well, installing map to Garmin device is almost done. I didn't have to enter the unlock code at any time in the process. I'm keen to know if other folks who received the DVD, but purchased a downloaded map, have the same experience.

The upgrade price for download and DVD version is the same, and there was no way to select on the website which version I wanted. I received the download instructions, but also asked for the DVD by e-mail, and it was duly sent. The accompanying letter says that anyone asking for it in August got it for free.

Anyhow, installation was no problem. I had to unlock it in mapsource, as instructed.

The map is better than v2 - now combines geographical details (altitude lines, lakes, rivers, etc.) with roads. Lots of combinis included, including 7-11.

However, v3 still doesn't allow routing over roads/paths less than 3m in width, which excludes basically all of the Tamagawa, for example. Overall, routing doesn't work well as one can never get the right combination of major and minor roads, no matter how much one plays with the settings. My experience with the free maps for Germany/Europe is much better - there it just works really well. So even with v3 a fair amount of judgment is needed, to override routing choices instantly.

Has anyone found a way to get the routes to show a profile with these maps? Even with the Topographical data in the map, the Profile button is unavailable in my setup.

Back
Top Bottom