What's new

Using MapFan App on iPhone for GPS

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
OK in >this thread< BlueStar mentions getting the MapFan app and using an old iPhone as a GPS Navigation device.

I did this with my current iPhone 4 and I've been using the MapFan navi in my van on some deliveries and also walking and cycling, it works very well, I'm very pleased with it. Yes it costs 2300 yen, but you get the entire map of Japan loaded on to your phone. No more waiting for the stupid Google maps to download onto your phone as you approach an intersection wondering if you turn right, or left or keep going straight. The maps load quickly and it has not lead me astray at all, best 2300 yen I've spent in a while, even the wife was impressed, at first she was not, she thought spending 2300 yen for something you can get free, Google Maps, was dumb, but now after using it a few times, she agrees it was money well spent.

My iPhone 4 contract is almost up, well in fact I thought it was up today, and it was two years ago today that I signed up, but as we got two free months or something, I actually have to wait until April 4th to swap my old iPhone 4 for a new iPhone 5, and I'll keep the old iPhone 4 with Map Fan on it, set it to airplane mode, so it is not looking for a net work all the time, and use it as a navi.

I do have a question for you all, I've read on the net that Apple might come out with a new iPhone in June, a iPhone 5S maybe? If that is true, I think it would be worthwhile to wait until June to get the new phone, why buy a new iPhone 5 in April if an iPhone 5S is coming in June, right?
Just wondering if anyone here has any more info?

Again the MapFan app is brilliant as a navigation device, I'd buy it again in a heart beat.

Cheers!

I read this recently. Only predictions but in line with what you said.

Thanks, that is what I'm talking about. I also read, somewhere, that Apple has stopped ordering new components for the iPhone 5 from March, which seems in line with them rolling out an upgraded version.

I've fixed my Home Button issue recently, so I figure I might as well wait another few months, or even a full six months.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom