What's new

using Garmin sensors with iphone

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
I left my Garmin in NZ, it's about one month away. I have an iphone and ipad so are there any apps I can use that will use the garmin ANT sensors? I have both speed and cadence I would like to use.

I think you need the Ant+ iphone sensor to pick up the signal I beleive. Sold at most online bike retailers.

Job done - now for a cuppa.

Thanks guys, so if I get any ANT+ adapter for the phone it should work with any ANT+ apps and any ANT+ sensors? That sounds too easy to be feasible. Here's hoping. That wahoo looks pretty idiot proof as long as the apps work across sensors of different brands.

Thanks guys, so if I get any ANT+ adapter for the phone it should work with any ANT+ apps and any ANT+ sensors? That sounds too easy to be feasible. Here's hoping. That wahoo looks pretty idiot proof as long as the apps work across sensors of different brands.

Sensor works with STRAVA app - I just opened it up and all the info about Speed Cadence, Power, HRM is all there.

There is no software only solution, as the iPhone includes hardware support for Bluetooth 4.0 (iPhone 4, 4S and 5) but not ANT+.

The Wahoo Fitness Ant+ key seems to be the standard solution for using ANT+ sensors with an iPhone.

Note that if you have an iPhone 5 or anything else with the new slimline Lightning connector, you'll need a 30pin-to-Lightning adapter to be able to use the Wahoo ANT+ adapter, which was designed for previous iPhone models.

First time I heard about that adapter. In the information you saw, did it mention anything anywhere about Strava support?

On the Amazon description it only mentions something called BeatRun but nothing about Strava, MapMyRide or GPX files. They just say: "To use the ANT+ adapter, download BeatRun from the iTunes store." (ANTアダプタを使用するする際には、BeatRunをAppleのiTunes App Storeからダウンロードして下さい。).

On the support page on the company website they say:

"本製品は、ビート・クラフト社製のアプリケーションのみに対応しています。他社のANT/ANT+用のアプリケーションには対応していません。" ("This product is compatible only with applications by Beat-Craft Co., Ltd.. It does not support ANT / ANT + applications by other companies.")

In the BeatRun description they do mention uploading activity data to RunKeeper. Since RunKeeper supports exporting GPX gpx files with time stamps there would be at least one data export route to Strava.

I have the Wahoo Key and an IPhone 4S. Download the Wahoo App, which records all the data. When you have finished you can upload to Strava, Training Peaks etc.

@Joe, if it doesn't work I'll return it. Good thing about Amazon. I have no problem with the app but if it won't pick up my Garmin then I'll try another make. Fingers crossed.

Wouldn't it just be easier to get someone to post your Garmin to you from NZ? The postage would probably be less than an ANT+ dongle and I couldn't see it taking more than 3 to 5 days from NZ to Japan. From the UK to Japan it usually takes about 5-7 days.

Wouldn't it just be easier to get someone to post your Garmin to you from NZ? The postage would probably be less than an ANT+ dongle and I couldn't see it taking more than 3 to 5 days from NZ to Japan. From the UK to Japan it usually takes about 5-7 days.

Can't post the lithium iod battery. Tried that.

Ah. Gotcha. How did wiggle post my garmin edge to me the other day then? I guess it is because it is brand new and unused?

I know the dudes at Beatcraft. I'll ask them why /if it doesn't support other ANT capable software.

Both FedEx and UPS accept Li-ion batteries contained in equipment (such as mobile phones, MP3 players, digital cameras...) without major hassle as long as their capacity is less than 20 Wh = 5400 mAh at 3.7 V. A Garmin 500 battery is 850 mAh, if I remember correctly. The rules used to be stricter, but then IATA relaxed them a bit.

Can't post the lithium iod battery. Tried that.
Yes, NZ Postal does seem to have some quirky rules about them. It could be sent by express courier if you jump through a lot of hoops and pack it inside a concrete bomb shelter...

...actually, if you pack it in a blister pack (see PDF), plus a form to be filled in and a lithium ion warning sticker on the box. It doesn't sound entirely unreasonable.

Back
Top Bottom