What's new

Used road bike

Denilzon

Warming-Up
Nov 9, 2011
Hi everybody.

I cannot, as originally planned, take my bike with me to Japan. Now I need to get one there. Since my budget will be limited, I will have to go with a used bike.

I wondered, if anyone has some experience or knowledge with/about the used bike market in Japan/Tokyo area. Does such a thing exists? What range are the prices? How easily can I resell it again?

I'm probably looking for an alloy frame, size 56-58, 105 group set, 172.5 mm cranks and some decent wheels, without pedals.

Thank you in advance.

I've got a matte black Cannondale CAAD9 size 56cm with 105-5700 components, an FSA SL-K 172.5mm compact crank (brand new), Fizik Arione saddle, and Shimano WH6700's wheels that I am selling. It's in excellent condition. Please, PM me if you are interested.

I can vouch for yamabushi's bike.

He keeps his stuff in excellent condition and the bike he is selling is really good.

Yep Pete is a bike tart..... bike is in perfect condition, well serviced and looked after.

I can also vouch for him and the bike. Although he may insist to view your living arrangements to make sure its going to a good home.

You could also click on the classifieds link. If you can find it. It's the one spelt, CLASSIFIEDS and looks like this---> Classifieds. :eek:

Not many bikes there lately though!

I wouldnt bother looking in used bike shops. Their prices for well worn bikes and parts are often the same or more than buying new from overseas and shipping.

What's your budget?

Hi everybody.

I cannot, as originally planned, take my bike with me to Japan. Now I need to get one there. Since my budget will be limited, I will have to go with a used bike.

I wondered, if anyone has some experience or knowledge with/about the used bike market in Japan/Tokyo area. Does such a thing exists? What range are the prices? How easily can I resell it again?

I'm probably looking for an alloy frame, size 56-58, 105 group set, 172.5 mm cranks and some decent wheels, without pedals.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you everyone for your comments so far.

I do believe that his bike is in a great condition and that he will make a fair offer, but I don't know if I can afford that.

My budget, that is the main problem, I've been saving some money for this whole trip but it is still very expensive. It also depends a bit on how many hours I get at my arubaito this month.
I myself was thinking/hoping for something around 50 to 75k, but I don't know if that is utopian. I don't really need something flashy or new (Well, it should not have frame shifters), solid and functional would suffice.Yamabushi's bike I guess would be all of that but is easily worth twice that.
Maybe I can borrow some money...
But therefor I need to have a realistic overview of what to expect.

Got lucky on Craigslist.jp but it is not a road bike, slick tires and mtb geometry but enough for me for some biking along the tama river.

But as usual, "caveat emptor"

Good luck!

I wouldnt bother looking in used bike shops. Their prices for well worn bikes and parts are often the same or more than buying new from overseas and shipping.

Yeah, and given my experiences in those places, the service is at best, luke warm. Wonder how they stay afloat or what they want.

Thank you everyone for your comments so far.

I do believe that his bike is in a great condition and that he will make a fair offer, but I don't know if I can afford that.

My budget, that is the main problem, I've been saving some money for this whole trip but it is still very expensive. It also depends a bit on how many hours I get at my arubaito this month.
I myself was thinking/hoping for something around 50 to 75k, but I don't know if that is utopian. I don't really need something flashy or new (Well, it should not have frame shifters), solid and functional would suffice.Yamabushi's bike I guess would be all of that but is easily worth twice that.
Maybe I can borrow some money...
But therefor I need to have a realistic overview of what to expect.

GIANT DEFY bikes are within that range. SORA groupset but hey you get what you pay for.

GT Bikes at Tokyu Hands in Shinjuku - 50,000 w/ FSA - Sora. Alloy frameset - 8speed. That aint too bad. Biggest problem will be finding something larger than a 52. But I know they have 56's at Tokyu Hands. Anyway - Yamabushi's bike is best - and even after riding it for awhile, you could still resell it for almost the same you paid.

GT Bikes at Tokyu Hands in Shinjuku - 50,000 w/ FSA - Sora. Alloy frameset - 8speed. That aint too bad. Biggest problem will be finding something larger than a 52. But I know they have 56's at Tokyu Hands. Anyway - Yamabushi's bike is best - and even after riding it for awhile, you could still resell it for almost the same you paid.

Another low-cost option is the local "Progressive" brand: http://www.progressivebike.co.jp/

Nothing fancy, however they have a wide range and one that might fit your need, BUT the resale value will be almost nothing.

You might be better off buying a better brand if you plan to resell it.

Not sure why you could not bring your bike with you, but your budget should cover shipping. Another thought would be to just bring the groupset, and get the rest here.

OK. It unfortunately didn't work out with Pete's Cannondale. So anew ...
Anybody offering a used road bike in the range from 60000 to 100000 Yen?
Size 56. Preferably without compact crank set.

Back
Top Bottom