What's new

Help USB device not recognised

Musashi13

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
Both my Garmin Edge 800 and Garmin Virb have stopped being recognised by my computers.

I have lost a lot of footage from an all day ride on Sunday from the camera as the memory card was corrupted in whatever happened. The ride data was uploaded without a problem from the Edge 800 but subsequently the device will not go into PC connect mode and each and every computer in the house says they both cannot be recognised (all running Windows7).

Any ideas on what to do folks?

Step one.

Plug in the Garmin, open CMD (type cmd in search in the Start Menu and open cmd.exe), then type...

wmic logicaldisk get deviceid, volumename, description

into CMD, and hit enter. Can you see the Garmin in the list?

No, it isn't there.....but

I had been using a couple of cables and found a couple more. The Edge worked and now the Virb does. Why would the cables suddenly become useless? Should I get some Monster Cables?

Now it will show up using the command line. Seems to be solved for now but I don't get what happened, why, or how. The cables I usually use are now worthless and I will have to get some more. What a pain.

All cables that are plugged in and out will eventually die. Happens init.

Try those cables with a random different device and do the same cmd thing. That should show if the cables are truly dead.

I hope you don't have a corrosion problem... I've had two 800 units go down for me - both from corrosion right behind the USB port. On both times, problems started with "USB device not recognized". Things would work one day and not the next, and finally things would crap out. I was lucky to have both units replaced under warranty (though I still had to pay a bit of money for each).

I'm currently on my third unit, and based on conversations with Garmin tech, I've come to the opinion that my issues most likely came from plugging in the unit (and having voltage go thru the system) before the USB contact points were fully dry (on wet or humid rides). FYI, on my second unit, I was dilligent about taping the rubber gasket on every ride, but it still crapped out over time. Both units went down in June/early July.

I've changed how I use the unit to include following practices... 1) spray wd-40 (or CRC56) occassionally on contact points (this also makes it easier for the rubber gasket to seal for some reason), 2) store everything on the mini SD card vs the base unit (so that i can retain data just in case things craps out again), most importantly 3) dry the contact points before plugging in the unit (i.e., I have it sit next to laptop's fan with rubber gasket open).

Just in case this is corrosion related, I'd make a call into Garmin tech support (in Taiwan) so they have record of your issues, and see if you apply for warranty replacement. If you get it replaced, you can also write to UUD (in case you use their J maps) to provide new key for the new unit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom