What's new

upgrade/downgrade wheels to/from 11 speed

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Hi guys,

thinking about buying a new bike with the new Ultegra 6800 (11-speed). I wounder if I can still use my 2012 Cosmic Carbon's and fit 11 cassette on those?
Also can I fit 10-speed cassette (6700) on wheels that have Ultegra 6800 Hubs?

Cheers,
Malte

I'm still riding one or nine speeds on the rear, way over my head but 2012 Cosmic Carbon's sound way too fast. Couldn't you just pedal faster? ;)

Reactions: mau
I'm still riding one or nine speeds on the rear, way over my head but 2012 Cosmic Carbon's sound way too fast. Couldn't you just pedal faster? ;)

Not about speed, just the question: Should I buy 6700 or 6800. I don't need 11 speed but I don't want to buy the old group-set if I can get the new. So being able to use the wheels (new and old) on both bikes (by e.g. changing cassette and spacers) is my requirement.

Yes, should be no problem. You current mavic freehub run a spacer behind the shimano cassette right?

I got a mavic r-sys wheel to use with my shimano 11-speed while my DA wheel was being checked for some freewheel problems.

Thanks, I also confirmed that with the shop. The new hubs are 8,9,10,11 speed compatible.
I also learned that the 6700 Cranks are not compatible with 6800 drive-train anymore.

You are lucky. Of the four wheelsets on Naomi's and my bikes, only one can be converted to 11s. Looks like I'll be keeping 10s for a while.

Back
Top Bottom