What's new

Race Unhanging really old racing boots?

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Haven't raced for about 30 years. Trying to get some form back this year again. Last time I had any go in me was 2015. Anyone looking a team mate or something for some enduro, let me know. I haven't been in a bunch for years though so it will take me a little bit of time to get up to speed. Club races would be what I would seek at home but no idea if that even happens in Tokyo. An odd weekend race could be a good thing. Mostly interested in taking part and learning how it all works again.

Best if you can find some night meet-ups. We used to train twice a week at night in short groups. Sprint races... 10 x 3 or 4km laps with a sprint each time... we'd sometimes get 10 to 20 show up. The police have told us not to train anymore though at that location and some of the other guys have found some new spots. Was harder and more fun than the real races... Also Sunday mornings a lot of teams do a training ride and then break off for breakfast or some more casual riding afterwards. Where do you live?

For training, there always seems to be a variety of groups out hammering the flats in Oifuto (in the shipyards? near Kawasaki) at the weekend. I'm sure @Tuomas would know the best time to turn up, but I think anyone is free to jump on.
Or there are lots of shop clubs doing training rides like the Cycle Cube shop that is quite close to you. Japanese proficiency a bit of a must of course.
The Kawasaki Enduro is in June. Might be a good target.

Edit: The Oifuto riding seems to happen on Sunday mornings. This is the loop they ride: https://www.strava.com/segments/869195

Hey @Edogawakikkoman - living in Meguro-ku. Not that many places around here I'd risk any cornering at speed or with a group. Guess a bit further out. I'm also more of a morning person but yeah mornings with a group would be fun. Got to be home around 7am though to get kids ready etc which limits things. Destined for weekend rides me thinks for the moment. Mind is open though to ideas. Currently on trainer Tuesday and thursdays during the week days.

Hey @GrantT. Done oifuto a few times. Usually by myself but ride a slightly longer lap. Might check that out at some point again.

I guess I could actually visit some cycle shops and ask as you suggested. Interested in the Kawasaki enduro. Was there one in Tokyo you did also?

There appears to be a crit about 30 minutes from my house on 20 May (Sun).

ツール・ド・東入間 第1回 三芳町クリテリウム
https://gicz.jp/open/miyoshi/index.html

Might join the 'freshmen' ride just to get my feet wet, so to speak. At 6km it will probably be over in 10-15mn.
If anyone wants to come out and make fun of the fat old gaijin on a bike...

Could be interested in that. 5/20 might work. I have the Karuizawa 2400 the week before though so need to check with the better half. Any vids of the course?

no vids of the course - probably because it appears to be the first time to hold the event?
Appears like there will be stuff for kids to enjoy as well, so I might bring the family.
Although don't think I can fit the kids and the bike at once; might need to take the train...

Back
Top Bottom