What's new

Ultimate rain clinchers

TOM

Maximum Pace
Apr 9, 2007
was using my Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires/tyres on mostly wet roads yesterday and realized how much they suck on curvy descents in the rain...virtually no grip at all.

Just wondered...what brand/model of tyre - clincher type - is considered these days to be the most reliable wet weather-specific one? Not looking for a race-type - just a very reliable one that handles wet & slippery downhill roads like no other....

oh3fjd.jpg

Conti Gatorskins or Vittoria Open Pave. Both perform a little better (to me anyway) in slippier conditions than some other dry condition specific tires. I use both in tubular, but they have in clincher, too.

The best rain tires are new tires that have been ridden once on the dry.

That is according to the Pro's. Other than that you'll want to increase the width possibly to a 700x25 and drop the psi to give more contact to the surface.

I don't have the experience to answer this, but I did browse a little with this query in mind--vs the gatorskins, another option might be Conti 4-season.

I've only got one on the shelf that I haven't used yet, so this is just an offhand suggestion.

I like riding in the rain (when rain is not freezing cold) and I either use CX bike with 35c or a road bike with Panaracer Pasela 28c. Both pump at minimum air pressure "just to prevent snake bites". No complains so far.

Hutchinson

The only thing wrong with the Continental's is that waxy coating they have on them. If you don't go around a lot of corners at speed in the dry, that wax coating will still be there in the wet.
Hutchinson's don't have any such coating, and ooze grippiness from the get-go.

That said, any slick tyre is pretty much useless on wet steel, and wet white lines.

Yep - and ride on new tires, not aged as the rubber is softer.

BTW - Wiggle has a great deal on Gatorskins now ... :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gatorskin-folding-road-tyre/
The only thing you'll miss riding on these is flats.

That is according to the Pro's. Other than that you'll want to increase the width possibly to a 700x25 and drop the psi to give more contact to the surface.

That is a good point James.

Can't go past the Paves
timthumb.php

but they aren't the longest wearing tire you'll ever ride. I love my green tires.

Agree but for the first ride only !!...after 3 long rides most of the profile is gone :( and they become dangerous on wet roads. At their price, a bit too much of a luxury for a poor amateur like me.

Funny the Paves came up, as I'm riding those right now and I hate them in the wet, worse than the Conti 4000s (which I like a lot, but agree with you Tom that their wet-surface grip is a drawback.)

Best for the wet I've found are the soft, fast-wearing grippy clinchers such as the Hutchinson Pros (EDIT CORRECTION: meant Hutchinson Fusion) and Michelins (last time I rode them they were at Michelin Pro2, think they are up to 3 or 4 now.)

Incidentally, recommend reading up Jobst Brandt concerning road tires with tread; his contention is slick is best, as the size of the contact patch and cycling speeds means there is no danger of hydroplaning, the avoidance of which is the reason car tires have the tread they do.

The Pave are designed for Pave not wet so it's no wonder they are crap in the wet and funnily enough if the Spring classics are wet then they actually go for different tyre.

For the wet you need a tyre that is going to disperse the water on the surface and unfortunately road bike tyres are to slim to offer the best grip.

However there are tyres specifically for foul weather and if you are looking for a tyre that can do a pretty good job of it then the Vittoria Rubino Pro II Tubular/Clincher is a good one to look at, the tread covers pretty much all of the contact area and with reduced air pressure the contact and water dispersal is pretty good.
For me I actually have my Dura Ace C24's set up for wet weather using Vittoria Open Corsa CX – these are never ridden unless its wet of damp – however not everyone has access or funds to wheels or tyres specifically for foul weather riding.

Also look out for winter training tyres for wet weather, these also have deeper treads ideal for rainy days.

Oh I also have the Vittoria Corsa EVO Tech II Tubular and clinchers - I freaking love these and the tread creates a wicked sound as the spray hits the down tube :D

ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip

I like that sort of data Tim. I wish they had also done the test with a higher weight rider. I feel that there is an increase in surface area with heavier riders so the grip factor is a little higher. In turn, what others find not a good gripping tyre others will find appropriate. I have been on my 25 gatorskins all rainy season (and last years too, same set) without a puncture or a slip. They aren't as supple as a race tyre, but it is just fine for me when JRA. Then when I put my race day tyres on it makes all the difference in the world. One trick I was taught with Continental is to rough up the either side of the center track with a light grit sandpaper. What makes continental tyres slick is the slippery mold release used in the vulcanization process. I couldn't find any bicycle related information related to it but our other two wheeled friends had a little to say about tyres.
http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/continental-road-attack-2-tires.htm

Oh and the MAXXIS Detonator tyres! WWe raced these in the Tour of Cameroon as they are great for crappy road conditions and have excellent handling in the wet - no one on the team punctured whil riding these.

Back
Top Bottom